Thursday, January 2, 2014

Leave a lasting impression.






Yesterday I went to our local grocery and more store and found that already the isles of Christmas merchandise have been replaced with bins, boxes, label makers, and all sorts or organizational products. The new year has us clambering for a fresh start, a clean slate. Many lists have been made towards resolutions for better fitness, decluttering, travel, and all sorts of other things. I find my mind thinking about my new business; how do I want to run it? What are my goals? What do I want my business to say about me?

My mind wanders to a hairdresser named Pam.

I've gone to the same hairdresser since I was 23 years old but for reasons I can't remember one day, two years ago, I sat in a new salon in the chair of a stylist named Pam. Pam is the most darling, young grandma you've ever seen! She came out to greet me sporting a bouncy strawberry blond bob with a hint of pink on the tips, and one blond highlight. She was wearing a ruffled apron over a darling dress and had the most pleasant smile. "She's adorable" kept running through my head as she began to cut my hair. As I sat in her chair she began to gently talk to me and ask questions about my life, my likes, my kids, and my marriage; It felt as if she genuinely cared about me and I had only met her minutes earlier. The conversation deepened to a more personal level as I began to share some of my struggles in life and she, in turn, would share her own stories; instead of a haircut, it felt as though I were being cared for, loved. She talked about her grandchildren during our time together so I asked her when she planned on retiring. Her answer surprised me, she said to me, "as long as God allows my hands to work, I will continue to cut hair; it's my ministry." And it really is. To this day I share some of her stories of the love of God with those around me and always speak so highly of a hairdresser who only cut my hair one time but left a lasting impression.

You may wonder what the above photos have to do with my post. Before Christmas my sister threw a beautiful dinner party and I offered to take a few photos for her before her guests arrived. I was quite impressed as I walked into her home and was greeted with warm candle light, sparkling dishes, and the soft glow of the Christmas tree. It was a beautiful scene and just like when I first met Pam and was so impressed with how darling she is on the outside, I was left with the beauty of who she was on the inside. I know that as my brother in law and sister blessed their friends with dinner that evening it was not the beauty of the table that night that will leave the most special memory, but the conversation and friendship that was enjoyed.

As I begin to take appointments in 2014 I want to remember the impression that Pam made on me and work to bless those who hire me to take their photos in the same way. I pray before every photo shoot that God will help me to capture each person the way HE sees them, I pray that I will be a blessing to all those who choose to hire me. While taking beautiful photos is important, I'd rather leave a lasting impression of the Father's love. Pin It

17 comments:

  1. I have just begun to follow your blog, and I have to say each post I'm taken back by your great view on life and your great inspirational stories. So happy to have found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My house has never looked so beautiful as it does in these pictures. Pam has also left a lasting impression on my heart...Her stories of God's love have changed me. I want this too to be my legacy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stefie, I really love those glass dishes/salt and pepper shakers!! Can you share where you got them? I have some glasses that were my mother in law's that are similar. Thanks!! :)

      Delete
    2. I inherited it all from my grandma. Its candlewick china, and it's like 50 years old. I see it time to time at antique stores. :) Hope this helps.

      Delete
    3. I happened to be in Snohomish on Sunday, after reading this, and saw lots of the pieces up there. Oddly, I didn't see any dinner plates or I would have snatched them up. :D

      Delete
    4. Thank you Stefie!! What gorgeous dishes and how special they were your grandma's!! I thought they looked like Candlewick but I have never seen plates or the cute salt and pepper shakers. :)

      Delete
  3. Lissa...I started reading this post yesterday but didn't finish {busy} so I'm back this morning. I'm glad I decided to revisit because it was a reminder to me....to leave a lasting (eternal) imprint. I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh your expressed my heart
    lissa..you have such an eye..and heart for beauty. you have a story that you have been vulnerable with. you are real..you have a passion that consumes you to do JUST what you said above.
    you will...
    i pray God enlarges your territory...for you and for His glory.
    i too..have that heart to share His love..grace..forgiveness in the light of our own frailty. our own stories. to share with words...like you in capturing life through a lens...that reaches out and gives hope
    oh..i have a lady that does my hair that is 10 years my senior and she is the same way. i feel so encouraged when i leave....happy weekend friend...xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you're already leaving a lasting impression on lives. I always love what you write!! :) Now, this is totally unrelated but I really love those dishes and salt and pepper shakers with the glass balls around the edge. I have some old glasses that were my mother in law's that are similar. Do you think you could ask your sister? Thanks Lissa!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's old glass hobnail that she inherited from my grandma. It's like 50 years old. That's all we know about it. :)

      Delete
    2. Because the dishes are so darling I had to dig. Here is some information on who might have manufactured the dishes. http://bargainhuntingandtreasureseeking.blogspot.com/2010/02/is-it-boopie-or-candlewick.html

      Delete
    3. Thanks Lissa!! Thank you too Shannon. I've actually read this before. :) My glasses are boopie glasses but it is similar to Candlewick. I always look for it at estate sales. :)

      Delete
  6. beautiful words:) and beautiful table! Clearly great taste runs in your fam!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I swear some of my best therapy has come while in the salon chair! It sounds like Pam's gift was really listening and sharing in return, rather than simply talking at you. That sharing struggles/vulnerability (not just complaining but truly sharing) is what really allows us to connect with each other in this life. I'm eternally thankful for Brene Brown's writings on that.

    Also, your sister's house is simply gorgeous (if I weren't in simplifying mode I'd be scouring the antique stores for those dishes!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lissa you are great no lie! I'm sure He will lead you to your yellow brick road mo doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. YOU are precious...and you leave a lasting impression on us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. your lasting impression is a fragrance to the Lord and to those who know you.

    ReplyDelete