Saturday, December 28, 2013

Getting geared up for 2014~



Back in November my husband came home from work a bit early one Tuesday afternoon and announced out of nowhere that he was leaving for London that night. He had an emergency happen with work and they needed him to board a plane immediately. He invited me to join him... Um WHAT?? Me?? The girl who has to plan out everything to the last detail... um ME?? Yeah, um, no thank you.... There's no time to plan, no time to think, no time to buy a new outfit or get my nails done, NO TIME!!! But he kept urging me forward, "let's just look into it..."

So I said a little prayer to the Lord and basically said, "if everything falls together easily then I guess that means I should go, but if it doesn't then I will just tell Neal that it's not going to work this time." Well wouldn't you believe it; within two hours I found childcare, a plane ticket, a transfer, and a ride to the airport in Seattle. I would fly out on Sunday afternoon just hours after a photo shoot and meet him in London. I clicked on "buy" and purchased my ticket! What a spontaneous adventure!! I decided to go thinking that this would be the kind of thing we'd talk about when we're living in our retirement home together. On Tuesday morning I was thinking about the beginnings of Christmas shopping and Thanksgiving preparations and by Sunday afternoon I was on a plane to London. Isn't that just CRAZY!!! But you know what??? I'm SOOOOOOO glad I jumped (okay maybe I was a little pushed) at the opportunity!!!

I flew into London and met my husband at the hotel. My layover was in Paris so I stopped at Laduree and picked up fleur de sel macaroons to eat in London together. I'm not 100 percent certain that they're gluten free but they didn't make me sick and I was completely caught up in the romance of this whole situation. By 9:00 that evening we were walking through Piccadilly circus and after dinner in an adorable pub, we were on our way to Big Ben. OH the magic of this day!!! I feel all swooney just writing about it!!!

What does this all have to do with getting geared up for 2014 you wonder? Well let me try to explain all that is buzzing around in my head and heart on this late December evening...

I'm wanting 2014 to be messy, and spontaneous, and quirky, and unexpected, and exciting. Do you know that I have lived my WHOLE life dotting my i's, cleaning under the stove and behind the fridge, keeping up on laundry, volunteering at church, and doing everything the way my head has told me its supposed to be done. This is what I've decided, "It's time for me to be less of a perfectionist, less planned, so that there can be more room for creativity. I've also come to the conclusion that perfectly kept lives and homes (or at least the appearance of such) is boring. Do you know what's exciting?? Doing the unexpected!!! Living in the moment, being sentimental, loving large, and dreaming crazy big dreams! I know that God is the author of ALL creativity and I just want to throw myself into his arms and let him walk me around and show me stuff!! Like Lissa stuff!! He knows just what's going to set my roots on fire!! And I'm ready for this!!!

I just read today in Matthew 6 that if God gives such attention to wild flowers- most of which are never seen- don't you think he'll attend to you, take pride in you, do his best for you? What I'm trying to do here is get you to RELAX (can I get an amen!) to not be so preoccupied with getting, so you can respond to God's giving.... STEEP yourself in God Initiative, God provisions. DON'T WORRY about missing out. You'll find all your everyday human concerns will be met!!!

Makes me think of that verse... "for I know the plans..."

So I'm ready to start this messy, creative journey. I know that spending time admiring my heavenly Father is the place to start! To admire HIS creativity; to feel lavished on when the sky is painted with pink, fluffy clouds. Then I'm going to put my printstagram photos on every surface of my house because those are the moments I want to remember and enjoy.

And finally, I'm going to buy more washi tape, cuz really, it just makes everything prettier!

Pin It

17 comments:

  1. Lissa...your blog is worth the visit and reading every time. And I must say I have also taken this leap of trust...more living in the moment, spontaneous....and I have always been a dreamer. Thanks for sharing!

    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful adventure and a treasured memory for years to come. It is hard letting go but you were going to hubby...by yourself, without kids so how scary could that be...some alone in a wonderful city. Glad you had the courage to go for it. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane, Australia

    ReplyDelete
  3. amen to messy & spontaneous. ~ mindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's hard to let go of the planning and perfectionistic ways ~ but sometimes you just have to throw caution to the wind and jump off the high board. This will be a year for you to soar Lissa ~ can't wait to see what you do. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. My goodness Lissa, this is a fabulous, heart-felt post. I will take your actions as a motivator to live more in the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am with you on giving up how things are "supposed" to be and surrendering to the mess. We've been a mess ever since we moved. Just this Christmas break, I've done to totally out of character things: left town spontaneously and brought home a puppy. Talk about a mess! But it's a sweet surrender. A needed one. Hanging on to Jesus on this wild ride! xo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH MY GOSH - I LOVE IT!!!!! I came downstairs this morning with the first thing on my list (after coffee & blog reading) to order passports for myself and the girls. I have been itching to travel and want to be ready to go in an instant, should that opportunity arise, while planning some bigger adventures. I regret having passed on those opportunities in the past and will NOT do that again.

    My own goals for 2014 is to "be ready" - not in a my house is perfect all the time kind of ready but having the ducks in order that will let me embrace life, not spend precious time running around looking for stuff, using a messy home as a way to avoid engaging with people, etc. I haven't quite defined that yet but its slowly coming into focus......

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yeah! Love me some spontaneous and messy! Life is definitely better that way! What a great post. Can't wait to see the "mess" you make in 2014 ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok so that paragraph...

    I'm wanting 2014 to be messy, and spontaneous, and quirky, and unexpected, and exciting. Do you know that I have lived my WHOLE life dotting my i's, cleaning under the stove and behind the fridge, keeping up on laundry, volunteering at church, and doing everything the way my head has told me its supposed to be done. This is what I've decided, "It's time for me to be less of a perfectionist, less planned, so that there can be more room for creativity. I've also come to the conclusion that perfectly kept lives and homes (or at least the appearance of such) is boring. Do you know what's exciting?? Doing the unexpected!!! Living in the moment, being sentimental, loving large, and dreaming crazy big dreams! I know that God is the author of ALL creativity and I just want to throw myself into his arms and let him walk me around and show me stuff!! Like Lissa stuff!! He knows just what's going to set my roots on fire!! And I'm ready for this!!!

    Printing it off and putting in at the top of my calendar and in my bible and in my wallet and anywhere else where I will see it and be inspired. Thank you for saying what has been running around in my head and heart for the last few weeks.

    Here's to an amazing God lead life in 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this more than any post you've ever written because I have been pushed into a scary new venture and I want to do it but I'm afraid and it's new and out of my box and I fight to stay in that box! Thanks for being an encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  11. those are great new years goals! what is that famous saying...a messy home is evidence of a well spent life:) and how true it is!! blessings for your 2014!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Check out Costco they have a washi tape dispenser/organizer with gor like 20 bucks

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your goals for 2014! I should strive for the same as I am such a planner I always say no to spur of the moment. London on a whim - go you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awww Lissa, how exciting to have a trip with your hubby like this, to fall in your lap. Awesome! I'm so glad you decided upon spontaneity. I think your idea for 2014 is a great one. I, too often have planned and then became discouraged because my plans for perfection didn't work out. I too want 2014 to be filled with more spontaneity and openness to things outside of my comfort zone and enjoying the little moments that God always gives when we take time to really notice.

    Thank you Lissa for sharing like you do.
    God always uses you!
    ♥Lee Ann

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lisa, I have this coffee table book sitting on well....the coffee table and it reads on top and on the binder " A perfectly kept house is sign of a misspent life" quote by Mary Randolph Carter it says. Anyway...I just loved it and had to buy it. I've never been a "neat freak" so to speak but the pressure around me feels or felt like I needed or should be one. Then I realized, God didn't choose that life for me. He chose me a messy one. He gave me four boys whom now are all under the age of 8. Praise God that I can "live life" instead of worrying about perfecting life. Something that lays false anyways. Loved your post, Lisa. Sincerely, Jenny Carroll

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this.
    God has given me much freedom from perfectionism.
    He's showing me that there's balance in preferring an organized life but being okay with a sink full of dishes!
    balance is a good thing.

    that trip was SO spontaneous….can't way to make one of those trips myself!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lissa I just love your blog and the simplicity way you look at life and home. Loved this post today and doing exactly the same thing....life is too short. hugs.

    ReplyDelete