Wednesday, August 28, 2013

I dare you to jump!



Earlier this summer I sat at the beach surrounded by a group of close friends as we pondered the deep things of life. I'm not a small talk person, in fact, I stink at it preferring to get right to the "meat" if you know what I mean. At this gathering sat a friend of mine who is a passionate fireball for the Lord and it's proved contagious on many occasions. As we sat there with our feet in the sand I wanted to know where he found such a passion for God, so I asked how it started.

What he shared was simple yet so profound. He said when he was younger he felt like there had to be more to being a christian than just going to church so he grabbed his Bible and started to read all the red words. In case you're unfamiliar, the red words are simply the words that Jesus said during his life here on earth.

That night while the sun set in the background he told us that, "THE RED WORDS CHANGED HIS LIFE."

I found this fascinating! Just the red words changed a man's life?! I couldn't help but wonder, "could it do the same for me?" So a few weeks ago I started searching out the red words in the book of Matthew to see where it would take me and it's doing the EXACT SAME THING in my own heart.

Fast forward to this morning. I found myself reading a small section in Matthew 18 over and over again trying to wrap my brain around what Jesus was saying. The title of the chapter is "whoever becomes simple again." Being a girl who loves the word "simple" and all that implies I wanted to know more but I was having a hard time getting to the root of it so I asked Neal to read it and then tell me what it meant to him. He pointed out the part where Jesus said, "I'm telling you once and for all, that unless you return to square one and start over like children, you're not even going to get a look at the kingdom, let alone get in. Whoever becomes simple and elemental again, like this child, will rank high in God's kingdom. What's more, when you receive the childlike on my account, it's the same as receiving me." It continues on to talk about simple trust (childlike faith).

Neal pointed me towards this photo of Emma as she fully trusts when she leaps into the arms of her daddy. If you look at the photo you'll notice that her feet are BEHIND her, not under her in case her daddy doesn't catch her. She has childlike trust and has thrown herself into the arms of her father. I posted this photo on facebook a few days ago and my mom commented, "oh, to have TOTAL trust like Emma!" As I read her comment it brought tears to my eyes! What could life look like if we were willing to just throw ourselves into the arms of our heavenly Father as a child! What could happen?? Where could it take us? I can only imagine the adventure!

So today I take Emma's lead and I'm leaping into the arms of my heavenly Father in total trust. I'm pretty sure that life isn't going to look like I thought but I'm confident that he who began a good work in me will carry it onto completion until the day that Christ returns.

And I'm pretty freaking excited about this!!

Let's go!!!! Pin It

34 comments:

  1. I'm excited too! This is exactly where I am right.now. I am having to give complete trust to the Lord. The peace He has given me is amazing. Well, beyond understanding, just like He promises!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all the action verbs in your posts lately, Lissa - Jump, Serve, Dare, Fight, Invest. They are so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lissa! Haven't commented in a long while but i had to say this really is where i am right now - learning to LET GO. Funny, my entire life i have prayed for a chance to just be a mom, and a wife - not work outside the home. Well, God has imposed a work sabbatical on me (got laid off last week) and do you know what?? I'm not afraid. I can't believe i just typed that. But I'm not. I'm so thankful for this opportunity and know that God unfailingly will provide. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an inspiring photo (and post)! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen! Such wonderful stuff you've written. I remember many years ago an older friend/mentor saying that reading Jesus words was the only thing that gave her clarity in messy situations. I was pretty new in my faith at that point and that comment had a huge impact on me. Now, more than ten years later, I still can't get over the unconventional, out of the box thinker that Jesus was. When I feel myself getting tied up in things and people and issues around me, it is so, so relaxing to read those red letters. And, PTL, the more I do so, the more I find myself being drawn to and into his personality when those pages are closed. So thankful for his Spirit!

    ps. I am not a small talk person either. Most of the time I count it a blessing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that picture and what a truly inspiring post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. tears falling.
    having a hard week.
    needing to trust God with something...he's peeling back yet another layer in my heart.
    praying for faith and trust...needing my feet to fall behind me as I jump into his arms.


    ReplyDelete
  8. "You were there when the skies broke wide, wide open..." Jars of Clay lyrics :)
    Great post !!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love*this*post Lissa ~ the look of joy on both Emma and Neal's faces say it all. xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love your blog ...and your attitude to life. Your smile is full of the Lord - I can see that all the way from Perth, Australia!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love every single thing about this photo and this post! I don't know if I looked that full of joy when I jumped last year and left my comfort zone behind, but I'd jump again if He asked. xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  12. After I noticed their expressions, her feet were the next thing I noticed, before I even read the post. LOVE this...going to read the Red Words! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're one of my favorite bloggers in the world. I come every day in hopes for an updated post. I long to see your house decorated for fall. I haven't seen a post in a few weeks. I hope all is well with you and your family.
    God Bless.

    for some reason it won't allow me to post my name in the comments section so I had to select Anonymous.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh how I miss your blog entries about your cooking, home and garden. Don't get me wrong I love these type writings too but your I believe your spiritual calling is helping women/families with their homes. Doesn't it start there? You have such a good eye for cooking, decorating, making your house feel like a home and for your family to WANT to come home too. It's a gift! I look at tons of blogs and your domestic side is in a league of its own. Just nudging you again. LOL. I'm probably being selfish but when you post about domestic things I stop and RUN to my computer. I don't know if you realize it or not but you are REALLY talented. I hope you look at your awesome domestic talent as spiritual. Nothing is better in having a warm, welcoming home for your family. You help me with that! Thank you! xxxxoooo Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are such an inspiration!!! I always look forward to your posts!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. amazing. beautiful, inspiring.

    He will never let us fall.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such an amazing photo - you are so talented! Miss your posts but that just means you are too busy living the good life! Happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I miss you, Lissa! I hope you're doing well.

    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lissa, I have never commented on your blog..however I am a bit concerned, I check everyday looking for a sign from you:-) We all miss you terribly. Your posts and pics mean so much to so many. Hope all is well. God Bless You!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hope all is well in your world!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lissa, I had not checked your blog in a while, I sure hope you are just too busy to blog and that everything is ok!! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Lissa :) May I have permission to print this picture ( just on my home printer) so I could use it for an illustration of Faith for children at my church ? Just a great photo !

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thinking of you Lisa. I've been checking in from time to time. Your blog I consider one of my bread and butter blogs and I only have about 5 of them. Such a beautiful light, you are!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Have you stopped blogging ? Miss you :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. The pictures are fantastic, and I am so glad for your happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a beautiful photo and a beautiful post! Trusting like Emma!! That is how I want my life to be with my Lord Jesus too! I love the thought of reading the RED WORDS- JESUS words in the Bible. I'm going to have to try this also. Was needing something new for my devotional time.

    ReplyDelete