Friday, April 12, 2013

On Reading Bread and Wine and Shauna Niequist's Magical White Bean Soup! YUM!










We recently returned from a family vacation to Hawaii which was won.der.ful! Hawaii is my place, my special spot! To me it's magical, wonderful, and there is nowhere on earth where I am more alive! I love how it smells, how warm the air feels, the beach, and the sunshine! During our stay I DEVOURED Bread and Wine! Oh My Word, what a FUN and easy read! I poured through this book, marking pages, underlining quotes, and meal planning. I've read all of Shauna Niequist's books. Being a girl who loves to cook, eat, and feed my people, this book was like candy to me and I couldn't get enough of it! Shauna shares some of the BEST ideas for putting meals together, and there are so many recipes I can't wait to devour! And what's better than that is that her husband eats a gluten free diet so the recipes even work for me and my family!! I couldn't wait to get home and try one of her recipes.

When we arrived back home it was 45 degrees and raining (tears!) so I decided to try her Magical White Bean Soup which was delicious and easy! I left my soup chunkier than she recommends because that's how we like it; but that's the only thing I did a little differently.

I wish that I could sit down at a table with Shauna and talk to her for a few hours. She shares so many of my thoughts, not only on entertaining, but even on things like instagram and blogging. I felt like a friend was talking to me as I read. I highly recommend this book as it's a great one to grab for your summer reading. I just know that you'll really enjoy it!


Magical White Bean Soup- taken from Shauna Niequiest's book Bread and Wine


"This recipe was inspired by Nancy Silverton’s Tuscan White Bean Soup with Prosciutto and Parmesan in her cookbook, A Twist of the Wrist.
I liked the idea of a thick bean soup with ribbons of prosciutto (for the meat eaters), a dusting of Parmesan (for the dairy eaters), and a drizzle of balsamic vinaigrette. Even though Nancy’s recipe calls for just olive oil, I’m in a serious balsamic phase, and I want it on everything." Shauna Niequist

Ingredients:

2 shallots, sliced
1⁄2 pound carrots, sliced into thin coins on a diagonal
1 bulb fennel, sliced
4 celery ribs, sliced on a diagonal
6 cans white beans in liquid (cannellini or great northern beans)
Salt and pepper to taste

Vinaigrette:

Dijon
Balsamic vinegar
Olive oil

For serving:

Prosciutto, torn into ribbons
Parmesan, curled into strips with a vegetable peeler
1 tablespoon rosemary, rough chopped

Instructions:

In a stockpot or dutch oven, soften two sliced shallots in olive oil over medium heat.
Add carrots, fennel, and celery, and allow to soften, 10 to 15 minutes.
Add beans in their liquid and chopped rosemary.
Cover and cook for 20 minutes at a gentle boil.
Taste, add salt and pepper, taste again—keep in mind that you’ll
get a good amount of salt from the toppings.
Cook for an additional 20 minutes, or longer if you have time.
Off heat, mash with a potato masher or the back of a wooden spoon for a rustic, chunky texture. If you’d like a smoother texture, run it through a food processor or use an immersion blender in the pot.

Balsamic vinaigrette:

Mix a spoonful of Dijon, a few tablespoons of balsamic, a quarter cup or so of olive oil, some salt and pepper in a glass jar, then shake well. Adjust to taste—I usually like a 2:1 ratio of oil to vinegar and Dijon.
Serve with a small pitcher of vinaigrette, and bowls of prosciutto torn into ribbons, curls of Parmesan, and chopped rosemary.
ServeS: 6 to 8 Pin It

20 comments:

  1. Lissa you make it look so beautiful and simple.

    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am so ordering this book..i've always said i could live on bread and wine. :) thank you for the link! and the recipe..i make ina's tuscan white bean soup frequently..this one looks just as yummy. merci!

    pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos. I will give the recipe a try - sounds yummy.
    I will look for Shauna Niequist's book Bread and Wine here in the UK...hoping I can find it.
    I have her other books on my Kobo (upon your suggestion way back I purchased them) but I think I want this book in paper form. I think I have decided I prefer these type of books in paper format so that I can underline quotes and mark pages as you did...it is just not the same with the e-books.
    Glad you are back with some delightful recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure this book would still be good it you hadn't read it in Hawaii, how amazing that must have been. The soup looks pretty good too.
    Have a great weekend!
    ps I;m sou excited I planted radish seeds last Sunday and they sprouted! First time with seeds ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay - I'm so glad you are still blogging. Your hair looks adorable and your table is fab!!!!! Thanks for sharing! Blessings to you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad you had a wonderful trip! I have to try this soup! I have made a Portuguese white been soup which is tasty, but this looks amazing. Lissa, I am so ready to buy your book! (the one you are going to write and self-photograph because it seems so natural for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like my kind of book!! Love your cute hair by the way. Taking my kids to Hawaii is a dream... my bucket list dream. Some DAY!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look tan! Jealous I have yet to make it to Hawaii. Those lime green pants (or shorts?) are way to fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lissa, one more thing....what is the crusty bread. My daughter (gluten free) saw it and was asking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a rosemary bread from Whole Foods which is in the freezer section. I'd totally recommend it!

      Delete
  10. Hi Lissa,

    just a quick comment but what Im loving ( just that little bit extra) about your last couple of posts is that you've put in pictures of you !!

    Im sure it is a bit of a daunting thing but I for one absolutely love seeing you in the shots - brings it all to life that bit more.
    Please keep going if you can xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. You convinced me, i just ordered the book :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely post, and your photos are extraordinary--wow! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hawaii is on our list of places to visit...
    hoping to see some of your pictures! I can't imagine how you must have captured it.

    I am determined to make a list of books to read this summer....and I will add this one to my list. It sounds like it's more than a cookbook..does she have words and stories to go with the recipes? Can't wait. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does have words and stories that go with the recipes! It's truly such a fun read and makes you want to cook for the people you love!

      Delete
  14. One of my favorite soups! I found your blog through pinterest... I've pinned you to my sidebar so I can find you again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this post. And your grey top! So good. Have missed your posts. Glad you had a lovely time in Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
  16. your photos are dreamy, lissa!
    and i'm going to have to try that soup!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Missing your sweet blogging, and those amazing recipes to share with my family!

    ReplyDelete