Thursday, February 7, 2013

Random Thoughts And A Couple Of Requested Recipes






It is a gloriously sunny day today! I LOVE days like this which remind me that spring is coming. In fact, I just took a nap (what a luxury!) with the window open allowing the sun to stream through while I breathed in the fresh air! It's so rare I get to do that!

I took the top photo last year while we played at the Santa Monica beach in Southern California. There is no rhyme or reason as to why I posted it today except for the fact that I have been editing old photos and LOVE this one. I think I may frame it in my house somewhere. We are such a beach loving family!!

We were down in California for the Disneyland half marathon. While we were there we spent a few days enjoying all that Disney has to offer. We ate at Tortilla Joe's in downtown Disney more than once just so that I could gorge myself on their table side guacamole! I really enjoy eating outdoors at that place and if you're heading down to Disneyland this spring or summer I highly recommend going and when you do BE SURE and get the guac! This place serves some of the best guacamole around, partly due to the fact that California grows the BEST avocados! Our server was generous to let me ask questions while she prepared our guacamole. Unfortunately, I don't have an exact recipe. I just make it to taste the way she did.

2-4 avocados
fresh diced tomatoes- I like it chunky, to taste
jalapeño- minced (I use 1/2 for 2 avocados and 1 whole for 4.)
fresh lime juice (the juice of 1/2 of a lime for 2 avocados or a whole lime for 4)
minced yellow onion- to taste
garlic salt- to taste
fresh cilantro- chopped (a good handful)
tortilla chips!

This is a list of the basic ingredients. This recipe will use a good amount of garlic salt, keep adding a little more until the taste is just right. Scoop out your avocados into a bowl and add the tomatoes, jalapeño, lime juice, onion, cilantro, and garlic salt. Stir with a fork to combine. Taste it and add what is needed- usually for me that means adding more garlic salt until the taste makes you unable to keep your hands out of the tortilla chips. :)




The other recipe that's been requested is this one for these cookie sandwiches. My sister in law made these for my sister's shower and they are AMAZING! She got the idea when she tried a similar cookie at Babycakes in LA.

Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies:

Prehead oven to 375 degrees.

8 oz butter
2 c thai rice flour
1/4 c cornstarch
2 T tapioca flour
1 t xanthan gum
1 t salt
1 t baking soda
1/4 c sugar
1 1/4 c brown sugar- firmly packed
1 1/2 tsp good vanilla
1 egg + 1 yolk
2 c chocolate chips
Miniature chocolate chips *optional

Combine rice flour, cornstarch, tapioca flour, xanthan gum, salt, and baking soda in a medium sized bowl and combine by stirring with a whisk.

cream sugars and butter together slowly pouring in the vanilla as it's creaming. Then add the eggs. Mix until combined.*

slowly add your flour mixture and mix until incorporated.

fold in chocolate chips.

roll into 1 inch balls and refrigerate for one hour before baking.

Place cold cookie balls onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or silpat liners.

Bake for 8 minutes at 375 degrees. Oven times may vary.

Let the cookies cool completely and then place this buttercream frosting between 2 cookies making little sandwiches.

Roll them in tiny chocolate chips to make them extra pretty! Pin It

7 comments:

  1. love that first shot too lissa!!
    love homemade fresh guac. will definitely try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photos are excellent! I am definitely going to make those cookie sandwiches, they look too delicious to resist (and will pass on the recipe to my daughter Lauren too). I was given a beautiful cake stand similar to yours for Christmas (mine is heart shaped) so it's a good chance to get it out! Enjoy your weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those cookies look amazing, thanks for sharing the recipe!! Glad you are enjoying the sunshine, we live just outside of Portland (OR) so I know what a luxury warm sunshine is in February :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious looking, isn't that funny how avocados grow everywhere in Socal they were in the cemetery that my grandparents are at love it!

    Happy Friday!

    ps what was in the pitcher?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Thank you Thank you. These cookies are the best. My family loves them. Also your gluten free white cake is now our go to recipe for birthdays. Please keep writing and posting new and wonderful recipes. You are making my life easier when it comes to finding gluten free recipes. It is always great to find a recipe that I know is good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those cookies do look great. I want some.

    ReplyDelete