Sunday, February 17, 2013

parmesan and butter risotto for my valentines


I hope you were able to enjoy Valentine's Day! I'm not one to make much of a fuss over Valentine's Day but this year we decided to make it extra special. We got each girl Valentine cards, heart shaped boxes of chocolates, and a small gift. I was thrilled when while shopping I found a valentine's box of Hawaiian chocolate covered macadamia nuts for Neal- his favorite!

Whenever I need help menu or party planning I always turn to Tracy from Loving Pretty Things because that's her specialty. She's my party planner, extraordinaire friend. She texted me some simple ingredients that I could make a marinade with for our prawns which were to.die.for. I need to figure out some measurements and get that recipe on my blog STAT because this meal was better than anything we could've ordered at a restaurant! We went with a surf and turf theme serving rib eye steak and prawns. I was only going to serve seafood but apparently it's not valentine's day for my husband without beef. :) Then we just tossed the asparagus with olive oil, sea salt, and pepper and grilled it for a couple of minutes. This was truly one of the best dinners I've ever had. I made the risotto in advance during the afternoon and then kept it in the fridge until it was time to serve it and reheated it before serving. This would make a great menu for your spring entertaining as well!

For the risotto:

prep time: about an hour

6 cups chicken stock
1 1/4 sticks unsalted butter
1 onion, finely chopped
2 1/2 c arborio rice
2/3 pinot gris
1 c freshly grated parmesan
sea salt and freshly ground pepper

Heat the stock in a medium sauce pan and keep at a simmer.

In a separate saucepan melt half of the butter and add the onion stirring until soft and translucent. Add the rice and stir until well coated with the butter and heated through. Pour in the wine and boil until it has reduced to almost nothing.

Begin adding the stock, one ladle at a time stirring until it's absorbed by the rice. Continue until all of the stock has been added and cook until the rice is creamy and tender but still firm, about 15-20 minutes. ** you are gently stirring this entire time to keep the rice from sticking or burning at the bottom of the pan.

Salt and Pepper to taste and add the remaining butter and parmesan. Cover and let rest until ready to serve.


Pin It

9 comments:

  1. I have never made risotto before...it scares me! Looks like you just need to make the time to watch it ? I will try it because you made it look easy and sounds delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum yum yum! It was all so beautiful. I'm sure your peeps felt the love;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun!! Sounds and looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty they must have loved it so!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your table looks lovely. Your family must have felt very special. I love making risotto and once I'd made it a few times, found it was an easy but delicious weekday meal to prepare. I vary what I add to it: chicken, peppers, mushrooms, salmon, leeks, squash... and there's never any left!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nummers!!! I HEART Risotto.....one of my favorite side dishes. I rarely make it because it is definitely a lesson in patience ;) I have a "drunken mushroom" risotto recipe that is so good! I will have to try this recipe. How adorbs is Tracey?! XOX

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice blog—I'm a new reader. I misread this recipe name as "peanut butter risotto" and got really oddly excited. (And, googling it, I'm apparently not the only one whose mind wanders down strange, twisted peanut butter paths...must try soon.) Anyway, back on topic: the risotto you ACTUALLY made looks yummy, too. And what an adorable place setting. :)

    ReplyDelete