Saturday, February 23, 2013

My last final project!











Good morning!

I couldn't sleep because we put my grandma in hospice last night so I figured I get my final finished for my last quarter of school. I'm going to miss working on final projects! I find that I pour my heart and soul into them. This quarter I took studio lighting and I had a blast shooting my final! I originally was going to shoot food as usual but then I decided to spread my wings and try something new while I had all of the equipment available for use. Man I enjoyed this shoot! My goal was to capture lots of personality! Baby Ava had me in stitches so many times! Shooting toddlers was a lot harder than I anticipated because I forgot how difficult it is for them to be still! I worked with her by shooting and shooting until I got the shot I wanted. And truly, if looking for personality was my goal then I couldn't have chosen a better model! I've known her mama since I was 14 years old because she's been my sister's best friend since preschool so that also kept things very comfortable and casual in the studio. What fun! If I had a studio like this available for use I think I just may enjoy shooting kids more than food!

I'm SO GRATEFUL for the opportunity of returning to school. It changed me in more ways than I had ever dreamed. I've found that having a skill that brings me such joy has been great for my self confidence. In addition, each week as I've taken criticism for my work it's helped me to develop a backbone. I remember my first critique over a year ago when I came home in tears! Now I just listen to what my professor and classmates have to say and apply the things that can help me grow without taking offense. This is a life skill that has helped me in other areas as well.

I could not be more thankful to Neal who funded my education. :o) I had such encouragement along the way from him and my family. At the beginning I wanted to quit so many times feeling like I would never get the hang of photography. Now there is little that stirs that fiery passion inside of me more than photography.

Where do I go from here??

Man! I don't know yet! But I feel that the world is my oyster. I've run after my education with all my heart and now as I finish I know that I will put the same passion into my career (as soon as I figure out which direction that is).

I never knew how much it would mean to me to find my passion- my creative side. When I was younger I would look to my younger brother who is a fantastic designer or my sister who is an amazing singer and decorator. Then there's my mom who can basically do anything and I always felt like I was the girl who could balance a good checkbook or write a workable budget. It brings me great joy to now have something that is mine! Something I'm crazy about! And if I can just say it once again, I'm eternally grateful! Pin It

23 comments:

  1. These are so great Lissa! You caught so much personality in these pictures and sorry to hear about your grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They came out perfect Lissa! Crisp and full of personality!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness- such fun and beautiful photos! You have such a lovely talent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos and beautiful words! Finding your passion is a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so great! These pictures are amazingly adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Prayers of grace and reminders of His steadfast love as your family copes with your Grandma in hospice... that was us a few year's ago with my precious Grandfather. The people there are a blessing beyond measure for families like our's!!

    The photos are fabulous ~ you have every right to be proud!! Darling suit on your youngest..that girl look's like the definition of 'spunk'! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Girl!!!! These are great! You can do so much with your skills. Your cooking, decor and now photography skills....they are really great. Wonder what He has in store for you? Can't wait to find out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these. I just keep going back and looking at them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to see what you do with these beautiful creative gifts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So proud of you. Always knew you had it in you after the first day I visited your blog so many years ago. Never doubted you had a creative streak. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The photos are incredible Lissa and your models are pretty cute as well ~ well done sweetie! xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. these are so amazing...as is all your work. i have seen you searching for your thing and with this outlet you just fell right into your zone. it was a perfect fit. so happy for you. rejoicing with you as you share your gift and use your talents. love you girlie.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The photos are amazing! They look like they were shot for a magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulation on your accomplishment what a gift you have, wishing you the best in what ever path you take your talent's. Praying that your Grandma finds peace and comfort on her journey home.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So inspiring to hear you talk about how you've found your passion. Keep talking about it. I know it blesses me and many others! xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't wait to see what God unfolds next for you, Lissa. I'm so thrilled you've found a passion...so grateful for all you've learned about yourself and about God in you.

    You're awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  17. beautiful pictures and beautiful girls, praying for you and your grama!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful girls and as always - your photography and spirit are unmatchable! Please know prayers are sent for your family and your grandmother.

    You go girl - your talents are boundless!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've been reading this blog and wanted to share it with you in case you haven't read it before. Lots of good stuff (read the about us section to start).
    http://www.thenatos.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Lissa, you really caught the personality of these cuties in your photos. I'm so impressed with your talent and so so proud of you and the hard work it's taken to go back to school. You keep going girl.. I'm jumping up and down with excitement for you!

    I'm also sad to hear about your grandma. I work for a Hospice here in Indiana. I will say a prayer for your grandma and your family.

    Hugs,
    Lee Ann

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Lisa,

    I have a question about what photography school you went to...I live in Chicago, but am wondering if you can tell me a little bit about where you went, and how long it took you to complete. Just even a link to the website....Thanks

    Suzi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just went to our local community college and took every photography class they offered. I took about a year and a half. I just did research until I figured out which community college had the best program. good luck!

      Delete