Monday, January 7, 2013

run your race







I wasn't always a runner. I've always been one to hit the gym and TRY (emphasis on try) to lift weights but a half marathon was never on my radar. I started running during a hard time in my life because it would help me sleep and even to think clearly when times were especially stressful. I began training for a half marathon- my first- three years ago. I remember when I hit the 6 mile mark and then I could run eight, then ten... I was building strength and seeing my body get stronger. I'll never forget that first race. I had never EVER thought of myself as an athlete but at 37 years old I "competed" in my first event. My WHOLE family showed up; mom, dad, brothers, sisters, nieces, nephews, my kids, and Neal. There were pompoms, signs, and cheers. It was exhilarating! I cried when I crossed that first finish line because it felt like such a huge accomplishment at that time in my life. I have 5 half marathons under my belt now and am currently training for another.

It all started with that first mile...

We are all called to a race, our race. A race specifically planned for each of us! We look around and hope to run someone else's race but that's not our race. Satan doesn't want us running our race. He wants to distract us so he tempts us to look around. Some people get fame in their race, others get prosperity and we're tempted to think that their race is prettier than ours. But he is LYING to you!! He will try and convince you that you're not smart enough, or pretty enough, or strong enough, or rich enough, or whatever it will take to distract you but these things are ALL LIES!! The Bible CLEARLY states that if God is for you then who can be against you! And that no weapon formed against you can prosper! He also promises that no eye has seen or ear has heard and no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him! But you have to keep going towards the finish line.

In my first half marathon I hit the wall at the 11 mile mark and really struggled through those last 2 miles often telling myself to "dig deep" as I worked to finish the race. No matter how hard it was to run I forced myself to keep going until the end never allowing myself the chance to quit or slow down. When I crossed that finish line everyone was cheering for me! Then someone put a medal over my head and said, "congratulations!" I had made it! I crossed the finish line!

What's stopping you from running your race?

The Bible says, "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us THROW OFF everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, 2 fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith." Hebrews 12: 1-3

Since we are at the beginning of a new year it's the perfect time to throw off everything that hinders us; fear, discontentment,pride, etc. and begin training for that first mile. Before you know it you'll feel stronger and you'll hit that 6 mile mark and then more and more! It all starts with the first step! Don't look to the left or the right. Just keep your eyes on Jesus and TRUST him with HIS plan for you! He will BLOW YOUR MIND! He's just done that for Neal and I recently but that's another story for another time! Man He's amazing and I just love Him with my whole heart!

Now go run your race! The finish line in closer than you think!



Pin It

10 comments:

  1. Lissa,
    Great article on your Half Marathon and an AWESOME word of encouragement for many out there that may be struggling to run THEIR race! Keep it up! Hope to see you at a race some time :-)

    T. Sloan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this so much. I'm running girl...I'm running!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awsome post Lissa! I will be sharing it at our families devotion time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a wonderful post.Thank you Lissa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first mile is always a beast, great story! This is my goal this year to "Embrace" what god have given me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! God brought me here today for a reason, and I am so thankful for Him speaking to me through you. My 15 year old duaghter is struggling with these exact lies from satan, feeling worthless and not good enough. I needed this encouragement to keep fighting for and with her... God is big enough. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for these beautiful words... What a great reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this...I have always been a runner until a few years ago when we were living in Orlando and I damaged the two herniated discs that have been there for years. I was able to run with those two discs up until then, but it was as if my body was telling me it was over. I had to listen as hard as it was to give up.

    Running has always been spiritual for me. It was a way for me to push myself through physically and spiritually. It's been about three years since I quit running...I quit about the time you started. :( I still haven't found my sweet spot in exercise since I gave it up, but this is my year!!! I'm telling myself I have this year to find something else that means as much as running did to me!

    I can so relate to your heart in this post! I always cried when I crossed a finish line...yeah because I made it but also because God ALWAYS used my training and my races to speak to me.

    I'm proud of you...you've worked hard in three years, friend...not just physically but spiritually. You've done some hard heart work, and the fruit shows!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this post, Lissa! Just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete