Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Ina Garten's Winter Minestrone



I am a HUGE Ina Garten fan! She's my FAVORITE! In this house, what Ina says goes. I trust her judgement on what knifes to buy, which cookware is best, etc. I just admire her! This recipe is from her newest cookbook, Foolproof. She also is running a new series on her show right now where she's cooking in Napa Valley! It's so inspiring for me! I LOVE it! Set your DVRs! :)

The weather around here is outstanding! Right now I'm staring at the most glorious orange sunset as I type this. As soon as my oldest gets home from dance we will enjoy our soup! The only thing I do differently than the recipe is add extra noodles. It makes such a cozy, healthy dinner for your family! Hope you enjoy it!


For the Minestrone

Good olive oil
4 ounces pancetta
1/2 -inch-diced
1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onions
2 cups (1/2-inch) diced carrots (3 carrots)
2 cups (1/2-inch) diced celery (3 stalks)
2 1/2 cups (1/2-inch) diced peeled butternut squash
1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic (4 cloves)
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
26 ounces canned or boxed chopped tomatoes, such as Pomi
6 to 8 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade (page 62)
1 bay leaf Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups cooked gluten free pasta
8 to 10 ounces fresh baby spinach leaves
1/2 cup good dry white wine
2 tablespoons store-bought pesto


To cook the pasta, put 1 cup of pasta into a large pot of boiling salted water. Cook according to the directions on the package, drain, and set aside.


You can make this soup ahead and reheat it before serving. It will need to be reseasoned.

Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat in a large, heavy potor Dutch oven. Add the pancetta and cook over medium-low heat for6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned. Add theonions, carrots, celery, squash, garlic, and thyme and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes, until thevegetables begin to soften.


Add the tomatoes, 6 cups of the chicken stock, the bay leaf, 1 table-spoon salt, and 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper to the pot. Bring to a boil, thenlower the heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, until thevegetables are tender.


Discard the bay leaf. Add the beans and cooked pasta and heat through. the soup should be quite thick but if it’s too thick, add morechicken stock. Just before serving, reheat the soup, add the spinach,and toss with 2 big spoons (like tossing a salad). Cook just until theleaves are wilted. Stir in the white wine and pesto. Depending on the saltiness of the chicken stock, add another teaspoon or two of salt to taste.




Me and my dear friend Ina. ;)


Pin It

18 comments:

  1. Looks amazing and Lissa, your photos are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "how easy was that" Ina is so cute, the first cook book I bought was the barefoot contessa and I remember making her Cobb salad it took so long but was so pretty and I couldn't have been more excited that I actually made a fancy salad that ladies that lunched ordered.
    Lovely as always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm definitely going to look for that series because I'm a big fan of hers. Love the last picture, too!

    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too! I think she is amazing! I always have her show on to keep me company.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a follower of all things Ina as well!! Love, love, love her kitchen! How lucky are you to have a picture with her! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks great Lissa...perfect for this time of year...it warms your home, smells great, and lets us sit and eat as a family! You and Ina look like BFF's!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am usually not a soup fan unless chicken noodle or chili but this looks delic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks yummy. I'm going to try it - and that pic of you is so adorable. Love your sweet smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Where did you meet Ina? "How fun was that?!"-ha! I like how she makes things seem do-able. (Not that I always do..) But it isn't overwhemling. I also like Ina's entertaining ideas..making something ahead..not making more than 3 things..etc. In line with your "Keep it Simple" theme. Beauty does not have to be overdone! God makes all things beautiful..thank you Lissa, for sharing His beauty in your blog.
    -ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. she did a talk here in the summer. we paid a little extra to attend a meet and greet. I spent literally 2.5 seconds with her but i loved it!

      Delete
  10. man that looked cozy and yummy. so glad you are getting the sun. i've seen your sunsets and they take my breath away! we've had almost a solid week of all day long pouring rain. i can't remember when i saw the sunshine last. so not what we are used to, it's awful. my heart breaks that is this is your normal. i would die...literally die! anyhoo...love you girl.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i can not wait to make this recipe.
    i got three cookbooks for christmas...ina garten, pioneer woman's new one and one of giada's more user friendly ones.

    i'll cook this soup soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love minestrone soup and this recipe is similar to the one I use ~ there is nothing better on a cold day! Hope you are having a great weekend. xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looked sooooo good that I had to make it for dinner tonight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks fantastic girl. LOVE your Le Cruset pot. ((someday...)) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't wait to make this! What size Dutch oven do you recommend?

    ReplyDelete