Tuesday, January 1, 2013

christmas in Paris



















Ahhh.... Paris!

Just thinking about it causes me to take a deep sigh. We've been back for a little over 2 weeks now and it still consumes most of my thoughts. There's just something about it. I wonder when it will settle down. I long to go back! It's a class all it's own and I'm completely grateful that I got to experience it! What a beautiful city! And it's beauty is contagious! Being in Paris makes me want to live a more beautiful life where I dress a little nicer, enjoy the simple things in life, and linger over a warm meal rather than rushing to the next item on my list of things to do.

We started our first full day in Paris with breakfast at Laduree. If you're ever in Paris THIS IS A MUST! And order the cafe au lait! I can not imagine a finer presentation!! There are not enough flowery adjectives to define this place and it completely lives up to its reputation.

After breakfast we headed toward the Champs de Elysee and walked the street lined with lights, the Christmas market, and music playing all along the way. We stopped at H&M (haha) to get Neal a scarf and gloves because it was CRAZY COLD! Just past H&M is the Arc De Triomphe where we paid to walk to the top. It had already started raining at this point so we were thankful to get this done before the pouring rain began. What a view!! Even on a cloudy, rainy day Paris is BREATHTAKING and I NEVER tired of seeing the Eiffel Tower! I was giggly and giddy and could hardly believe I was there, desperate to soak in every single moment!! From there my dearest Tracy recommended we enjoy lunch at Cafe Marly which is located in the courtyard of the Louvre. What a gorgeous spot!! My husband ordered the croque monsier as instructed and proclaimed the best sandwich he'd ever eaten! Thank you my friend! I SO enjoyed seeing how the Parisians dress there! They really take it up a notch!

From there we continued to walk because I wanted to see as much as possible! Because I LOVE to cook I was dying to stop by E. Dehillerin so that I could shop where Julia Child shopped. It was rustic and wonderful and if I could've come home with a new pot or knife I would've! We continued the long, long, long.... walk to Merci which was one of my favorite spots on the trip! So many people have blogged about it and it was a MUST on my visit. It was dark when we arrived and was all lit for the Christmas season. What a place!! My husband was very patient with me while I shopped the four levels for almost an hour! I was such a good girl!! I only bought ornaments since we were there at Christmas and I thought it would be so special to bring them out every year and a small funky vase! It was SO HARD to choose! I regret not buying one of their orange aprons! Maybe next time... ;) If you go there make sure to stop at the cafe for an espresso! What fun!! From there we grabbed a cab to see the lights and windows of the Galleria Layfayette! That's an experience all its' own! I want so badly for my kids to get to see those Christmas windows one day! I've never seen anything like it in my life!! AMAZING!

From there we ended with a quiet dinner and fell into bed late at night. What a day!! Pin It

23 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness...and as I read my mind was wondering the entire time with thoughts..what is it? Lifestyle, beauty and probably simply put it's how they live "everyday". I must revisit this post because it's beautifully photographed and written. And then I'll stop to ponder...how did life for us speed up and how do I slow down. Thanks Lissa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - these photos are just beautiful. Hope 2013 is full of blessings for your and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm having so much fun seeing your pics of Paris since we were there at the same time! Like you I long to be back!!! This was my second time in Paris, and each time I love it a little bit more...if that's even possible.

    Thanks for taking me back, and Happy New Year!

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed the pictures and reading your post. It makes me want to go to Paris even more Lord willing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like my kind of place. :) Happy NEW year girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lissa................I just showed these pictures to Justin and we are both ACHING to go back...Isn't it incredible that a city can have that physical effect on us!? Paris is my favorite place ON THE PLANET. I am SO glad you were able to experience it with your Love in the most romantic time of year! I can't WAIT to finally let things settle and sit and chat with you ALL about it. Maybe via Skype/Face Time? You did some fun things that I never saw and I must soak them up with you. My new dream is to have the 4 of us go together - or just a girls trip (GASP! DID I SAY THAT OLT LOUD!?) Seriously. (hhahahahaa...)

    LOVE YOU TO BITS, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year...... xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I came home from Provence 10 years ago, thoughts of it never settled down. I still dream of Provence. I love that you got to go to Paris at Christmastime! What a gift!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It all sounds amazing Lissa ~ love all your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your pictures are making me want to return to Paris - I went once several summers ago and am dying to go again and Christmas sounds like a perfect time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely Lissa and you really did photograph with all of your heart. Your pictures are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous pics. I feel like I was there...almost;) I'm missing you. We need to chat soon. Love you beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful pictures! Thank you for sharing these!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful photos! We are planning a European trip, but I am quite nervous about eating G.F. as I too have Celiac. I would appreciate any suggestions you may have re. eating in Pairs (and not knowing much French). Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can google the phrase gluten free so that you can use that phrase with waiters. We were only there for 2 days so I kept things very simple ordering omelets or plain meats with salad and balsamic vinaigrette so that I wouldn't have to worry. We would usually order 2 different dishes just in case and I would eat the one that looked safest. I never got sick once. I especially just stayed away from any sauces. I think you'll find it's easier than you think. At least I did. Most of the menus are translated into English.

      Delete
  14. What a day indeed, beautiful, I have never cooked in copper a must do, can you just imagine Julia shopping there in her pearls, what a dream!
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely beautiful pictures! I can only imagine how magical it would be to spend Christmas in Paris.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great pictures, so beautiful - especially the one of you and Neal together, you two look so cute and happy! I loved the descriptions - I think that it is just perfect that you were there Christmas time too. I want to go to all the same places you just told us about now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh my goodness...you make me determined to see Paris.

    I'm so curious how you got some of your photos so large. In blogger, when you post a pic, you have the option of choosing the size...I always choose XLG because the original size is WAY TOO BIG for my posts. Do you have any suggestions? I've googled it, but the online tutorials still don't make sense.

    What lens did you use for the first huge pic in this post with you in front of the decorated windows? Is it something I need to do with my camera or is it something I do in blogger? I tried to edit the size in Picmonkey, and it still didn't do it in blogger. weird.

    thanks for any help you can offer.....
    tara

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm catching up, and I just wanted to tell you how happy I am that you got to visit this dream place of yours!! :)

    ReplyDelete