Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Shooting with my heart in Derby, England












Today is my last morning in Derby, England and while I still have free wifi I thought it would be fun to upload some photos to share with you before we head for Paris this afternoon. This hasn't been a stress free trip so far. There's been a few nagging things happen that have put a damper on things and I'm working hard to keep my spirits up. I'm so thankful for wifi so that I could write my sister and best friend who are huge encouragements to me. My photos were not turning out as I wanted and my dear friend wrote to me and suggested I let go of my schooling and the rules of photography and just shoot with my heart so that I can look back on this trip with fond memories of our time together.

Yesterday morning I grabbed my camera and took a long walk around town. I came home with some lovely photos which really are just me living in the moment and capturing life around me exactly how it was happening. I felt like Sabrina in the same titled movie where she is meandering around Paris finding herself. I learned something doing this. Photography is like cooking, you can work to follow a recipe exactly, almost like a mathematical equation, and be disappointed with the results. Or, you can cook with your heart adding a little of this or that while you stir and prep and end up with something magical. I feel it can be the same with photography. I know the rules but put them aside today so that I could see the world around me with my heart and found it to be a breathtaking experience. A few times I felt tears well up in my eyes as I thanked the Lord for such a marvelous opportunity.

Derby is a charming, small town filled with wonderful restaurants and kind people. The residents here are full of the Christmas spirit and I have so enjoyed the chance to experience this special place!
Pin It

23 comments:

  1. Such a sweet town. Beautiful pics...always. I love how they incorporate greenery into everything. Have an amazing time in Paris. Don't let anything rob you of this once in a lifetime trip. Big squeezes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful images!! just keep shooting from your heart. enjoy your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful to be on this journey to beautiful places. Whatever your heart loves will show up in the pictures!! Enjoy the rest of your trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos and what an amazing experience. I am looking for a new camera and I am wondering what camera you have?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your photos are wonderful! They make me wish I was there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful photos! what an amazing opportunity to be able to travel to Europe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If these images came from shooting with your heart ~ keep doing it! They are stunning! Be safe and enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy Lissa! Your pictures are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just beautiful Lissa, you must have to keep pinching yourself! Take the advise from your sister and friends just follow your heart as you always do. You will soon be in Paris, La Vie En Rose. Enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those images are gorgeous!! I sure hope whatever happened to dampen this trip goes away quickly so you can enjoy this amazing adventure. I am insanely jealous as England is my favorite place. It looks so pretty at Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shooting from your heart is working. Praying no more stresses and just a magical, romantic time! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your pictures are beautiful. I'm enjoying them so much. Have a great rest of the trip, taking it all in. Praying everything else goes smoothly and you two can really enjoy the rest of your time together. I'm sure Paris will be amazing for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your photos are breathe taking, Lissa. The heart always knows better than the head. Keep the pics coming!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Shooting from the heart is your thing Lissa. I am smitten. These images make me want to go to England for the holidays....rustic yet modern...have a fabulous time!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, Lissa, your pictures are always so beautiful! I agree with Becky...you are in Paris?! Love and enjoy every minute of it! Never forget those wings of yours! :) The light in that last picture is special...the buds on the tree branches are glowing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your photos. You can feel the magic of the place. Enjoy the adventure!

    Jean of Santa Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved the pictures! How has gluten free eating been?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so glad you shot with your heart in these photos...I'm a total amateur, but I think the shots are beautiful.

    can't wait to hear more of your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So glad you took these photos with your heart...and from the short time that I have been following your blog...regardless if its been from your heart or by the book...it's all beautiful to me:) Enjoy your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Always go with your heart. The results are beautiful! I tossed the rules of photography out a long time ago. Much more therapeutic that way! xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  21. hi lissa! miss you!
    don't ever stop: picturin', preachin', and prettifyin'!
    katie=)

    ReplyDelete