Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Getting to Paris



Bonjour!!

I returned home from Paris on Sunday and I can't stop thinking about it. Paris is pure magic! It's like Anthropologie times 1000! It is compeltely different from where I live. Everything is classy, fantastic, creative, and like nothing I've ever seen before. Paris has changed the way I want to live and I have a lot to share about it along with about 500 photos to go through as well. The weather was freezing reaching minus 0* celsius while we were there. This was combined with sideways wind and pouring rain when it warmed up a bit. Many times my umbrella was blown inside out and lets just say that I did not look very pretty on many occasions in Paris because of walking around in the crazy weather. I already long to go back. Paris has kept a piece of my heart. I know that experiencing Christmas in Paris will always be in the top 5 experiences of my life and I could not be more grateful.

I've dreamed about going to Paris for years and years. There is nowhere in the world that I've wanted to see more, especially the eiffel tower. It always seemed like I might not get there until the girls were much older and I would pray that one day I could see Paris.

I don't know if you've followed me from my Humble Pie blog days but if you have you know that life has brought me some curve balls. I've known some pretty hard days and the Lord has seen me through them all! In October I remember clearly cleaning the bathroom and saying aloud, "Lord, one day I'd like to go to Paris!" thinking that maybe in a year or two there might be a way with his help. The VERY NEXT WEEK my husband texted me at school and asked me if I'd like to meet for lunch. During lunch he told me he had a work trip coming up in December to England and asked me to come along. At first I was hesitant because of having to ask people to watch my kids during the crazy holiday season but I felt the Holy Spirit gently urge, "don't say no to anything I have for you." So I arranged for my kids to be cared for and called a friend of mine to tell her of my upcoming adventure. During our conversation she said, "you do realize that Paris in just a short distance from England, don't you?" It still seemed like an impossibility. Just for kicks my husband looked into airfare and we could get to Paris for 200 dollars! It still seemed to good to be true...

Before you knew it there was an email in my inbox showing confirmation for 2 flights from England to PARIS! My heart LEPT! The kids and dog were being cared for and my dream was about to come true! Now I know that God is not Santa Claus or a genie who grants our every wish, however, this trip felt like such a reward from him. Kind of a "well done!" coming straight from my heavenly Father! Almost as if he was saying to me, "you made it! I'm so proud of you. Now let me bless you!!" With all my heart I knew that this was a gift from my heavenly father! And to go at CHRISTMAS! I could hardly believe it!

Well then we got to England and things kept going wrong! We were having a very hard time there. It's hard to explain. I completely fried my hair while I was there (which is all getting cut off today) and was so disappointed that it was ruined before we even got to Paris. Then on the way to the airport we got into a car accident and then we were detained in security at the airport for almost an hour. I said to Neal, "it's almost as if someone is trying to keep us from going to Paris!" We made our flight with 5 minutes to spare and we had originally thought that we'd have a couple of hours to eat dinner before departing. This ended up being a huge blessing because we enjoyed the most romantic dinner in Paris instead but that is a story for another time.

Well long story short, we arrived in Paris. It's just like people say. People dress AMAZING in Paris! Every single person looks like they work at Downtown Nordstrom! Upon arriving at our hotel on Rue Cler we dropped off our bags and headed straight for the Eiffel Tower.

Seeing it in person for the very first time was one of the most amazing things in the world. It's huge and beautiful and brilliant! Breathtaking doesn't even begin to describe it. We got there 15 minutes before the lights all over the tower began to sparkle and when they did....

I just threw my hands in the air and kept saying over and over, "Thank you Jesus! Thank you Jesus!" Not just for getting to see it and the amazing twinkling lights, but for all he's brought us through. As if this was the stamp on our lives stating, "you made it! you done good kids! I'm so proud you! Enjoy this blessing that I've given to you!" I feel like my heavenly father was smiling as he enjoyed watching Neal and I bask in this moment." THIS was the greatest moment of my life. Neal and I can't look at this picture without tears.

Two days later we received the awful news about the horrific shooting at the elementary school and, of course, all we wanted to do at that point was to get home to our children. We went to church on Sunday morning and were so blessed to feel the healing presence of the Holy Spirit and we wept and prayed for the families affected just as I'm sure you did.

I want to conclude this story by saying, "throw off everything that hinders you" and run the race that God has called you to! You may be enduring incredible pain right now, but joy comes in the morning. God is Faithful and true and he LOVES his children with an extravagant love. He is HOPE! HE is Christmas! Joyeux Noel!
Pin It

35 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you made it to your magical place and that your trip turned from bad to perfect! Yikes about your hair! Guessing the 220v was the cause?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lissa I can feel how much you loved it and how deserving you were, no matter what, "You'll always have Paris"
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. God is good! ALL the time! So happy that he was smooching all over you both in such a way that you knew, that you knew, that you knew it was a blessing coming straight from the Father. Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4 Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful, lissa! so happy for you and your dream come true. gotta love a happy ending :)xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this Lissa!! I have been reading since your Humble Pie days so I totally "get this!!" :) God bless you!! Just "pinned" this on my Inspiration board. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. so glad you had your dream trip!!!!
    i'd love to be there one day with my girls too!!
    glad you felt Him smiling down on you

    merry merry christmas

    ReplyDelete
  7. Couldn't wait! Love that picture. You should blow it up huge and hang it, or at least make a locket with it. Love you friend...love that you got to experience such a blessing. Yes throw off all that hinders you and run! Need more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't even know where to start! First, what a gorgeous photo, so happy for your trip of a lifetime, so happy you and your hubby are stronger than ever and you're right, joy does come in the morning! I wish you and your family a Christmas full of blessings and love.
    xoxo,
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  9. lissa- I am so so happy for you! Paris truly is beautiful and I am so inspired by how you follow your dreams and live your life. You are a true joy. Merry Christmas to you and your wonderful family. Let's grab coffee soon ok. xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh what a Blessing for sure! I am excited to see all your beautiful photos you took as I am sure they are amazing!~Merry Christmas Kim

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your post sent tears down my face. I too hold a little piece of Paris in my heart. . .a most amazing place to visit. Thx for reminding me that "JOY COMES IN THE MORNING" & that our God is ever faithful. I need to remind myself of that every day. Luv you heaps Lissa & I'm so glad you made it to Paris!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. God is amazing! What a blessing for you both. Merry Merry

    ReplyDelete
  13. i know EXACTLY what you are talking about. there is literally something in the air there. It is as wonderful as it is hyped up to me. There is pure love in the air there, pure wonderfulness. I know what its like to have a part of your heart in the other part of the world. SO happy you got to enjoy such a wonderful, precious, blessed and anointed and redeeming moment.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I never even wanted to visit Paris or France in general, I was like...everyone wants to go to Paris...I want to go to China. Well, on our way to visit the hubby's parents a few years ago we stopped over for a few days...I was smitten with the city...and humbled...ah this is why it has such a reputation. So glad you enjoyed yourselves. Anyway, thanks for the final paragraph of your blog. I have no idea what you went through during the humble pie season (although I read the blog) but I trust it was difficult. I was just talking to my friend Nova today and saying I want to embrace the life God has for me so that I don't miss the adventure He has in mind in the future instead of being in constant pain over being childless. I'm not there yet but am encouraged by your few words and even wanting to NOT be constantly in mourning over all my losses is a start. --heather

    ReplyDelete
  15. VERY thrilled for you that you had such a wonderful time in Paris - Im really looking forward to subsequent posts too !!

    Paris is my all time favorite city - it never fails to delight and there's always something new to discover. I have visited a number of times ( which is quite a distance from Australia !) and every time I just love it more - so inspiring
    May you have many trips to Paris in your future, cant wait to see your photos xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love! God is soooo good! can't wait to hear more. See you sat! xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful experience for you! I hope that your Christmas season is blessed as you get settled back home. :) What memories you must have!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That sounds just like Jesus!!

    Merry Christmas!

    Is the old blog Humble pie still active? I would love
    to read your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Am so happy for you, what a wonderful opportunity. I dream of going there too one day! I am coeliac like you, and love your blog, so just have a question about eating in Paris. Did you find it easy to find gluten free food there?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lissa,

    I read your post hours ago, but wanted to respond once I had more than a minute. I am overjoyed for you. As you know, I have followed you since your Humble Pie days. I felt your pain. I saw you recover, your marriage healed. I saw you reborn. Watching you live out this dream makes me want to jump for joy. That photo in front of the Eiffel Tower is you letting go of the past and embracing the new, amazing life you and your husband have been blessed with. I can't wait to hear more, to see how Paris has changed your outlook. You make it sound like a dream! I believe you made this journey for a purpose...can't wait to see/hear more :) Peace this holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  21. absolutely beautiful post written from your overflowing heart of JOY!
    can't wait to see more and hear more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just experienced "all your joy" through that picture and as I continued to read my heart was just happy for you. I'm so glad I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So glad you had a wonderful time in Paris, and maybe we passed one another as we just arrived home from 10 days there on Sunday as well!!! What a magical place Paris is, and like you, I am glad I didn't say no to the opportunity to go!

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is so beautiful - the photo and sentiment. I'm so glad you were able to live out one of your dreams and LOVE that it was a moment of worship. Praise His great name!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I almost want to cry... cry happy tears for you... thrilled that you came through... and i want to sob because I still feel smack in the middle of the longest season of 'will I come through this EVER?' Ugh.

    Running a race. not for the faint of heart. Waiting for my "Paris."

    merry Christmas to you sweet girl.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a beautiful post Lissa ~ and London & Paris ~ you are a lucky girl. I love this shot of you and your story ~ cannot wait to hear more. xo

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lissa, just thought you may enjoy this blog...it's one of my fans
    http://myfrenchcountryhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lissa,

    I read this post in tears. Though we have never met, I have followed your blog for so long, and I am so proud of you! I LOVE the pic of you in front of the Eiffel Tower. We, too, stayed in the Rue Cler when we went to Europe for our 10th anniversary. What a lovely little area. So glad you enjoyed yourself, despite what sounds like a rough start. Blessings to you, Neal, and your lovely girls this Christmas season. God is so GOOD!

    Amy in CA

    ReplyDelete
  29. So sweet Lissa and so, so full of joy for you guys! what a fun trip. thanks for sharing and praise Him for the joy that comes in the morning!!! Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  30. Lissa,
    I have followed your blog for a long time and love it! I so appreciate your openness. And sharing how the Lord has worked in your life and your marriage. Reading this post I had to catch my breath...then tears. I love that you were able to receive this blessing. God is so good! So amazing! I look forward to more pictures and hearing about this "dream come true" adventure.
    Merry Christmas!

    Rebekah ~ a ferry ride away :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful!! I rejoice with you! Sounds like you had a great vacation. How long did you stay? Have a Merry Christmas! Blessings to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I miss these stories from Humble Pie, and I'm so glad you shared with us!
    SH

    ReplyDelete
  33. I had tears in my eyes too :-) But, of course, in only a good way! I have followed you from Humble Pie, and the feelings of gratitude and care you always bring out from me, Lissa, is so wonderful. You don't realize what a great light you have been for me and many of your other readers/followers. I have tears in my eyes because I am so happy for all your blessings. You truly deserve good things in your life - Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Looking forward to what the future will bring!!! It was wonderful to see Paris thru your eyes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hello Lissa...
    Sorry for my english which is not good enough for long text but, as I am French, I would like to thank you for your post and your description of Paris.
    As we are more accustomed to "French bashing", it is pleasant to read such a comment about "City of lights" and you will always be welcome in France in general, Paris in particular...
    "Amitiés de France"

    ReplyDelete
  35. Good day Ms. Lissa..
    I got teary-eyed while reading this post because i can feel how happy you were during that day. =)..
    God is really good. And I'm sure, though I haven't known you, you deserve it.

    I also dream of going to Paris with my family someday, but thought that it'll be impossible because we can't afford it. But your post inspired me.. =) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete