Wednesday, November 28, 2012

The story behind these socks



A few years ago I met Becky and through getting to know her she began to tell me all about her wonderful mom. Her mama is one of my heroes in life and I've never even met her. What inspires me about her is the way she raised my sweet Becky. Becky is SOLID! That sounds like a funny compliment but that is my Becky! When she was in high school her mom would tell her to invite her friends over after school for chocolate chip cookies or popcorn, etc. They would sit in her kitchen and begin to pour out their hearts to her and, in turn, she would teach them all about the love of Jesus.

Ever since hearing this story I have wanted to be used in young womens' lives as well so I signed up to lead the 6th grade girls group at our church. No one could've prepared me for how my heart would change by getting involved in these girls' lives. Some of them are going through some very difficult things and I feel so inadequate in comparison. But I know who IS adequate and I will just be there every Tuesday night and try to teach them all the things I've learned about how passionately God loves them. These girls have my heart. I think about them often and when I do I pray for them. There are some unrealistic and high expectations that are put on these young girls through TV, magazines, peers, etc. and I just pray that God will use me to help them navigate the waters as they get close to that jr. high age.

The girls asked me if we could have a Christmas party so last night was our big shin-dig! I had this dream of setting up a photo booth with feather boas, christmas lights, santa hats, etc. but with just finishing up finals I never had time to get it accomplished. Yesterday I sent out an email to the children's administrator at our church asking for help and I was blown away. I started getting texts from the intern with photos of sheets hanging and asking me if this is what I had in mind. Then I found out that the preschool teachers ended up sitting in the hallway making the giant paper snowflakes to hang from the ceiling. When I arrived at church another friend of mine showed up to help me figure out how to hang the lights and my daughter was in charge of the Christmas tree. This to me was such a remarkable example of community. My eyes teared up when I learned of all the help. While this was going on I was at home making cupcakes. This blesses me so much because we were all working hard together in order to bless a sweet group of 6th grade girls.

Lately I've been distracted through some beautiful images I've seen on pinterest or in magazines of homes beautifully decorated for the holidays and it was making my head spin. I will confess to you that I've redecorated my Christmas tree THREE times this year joking that our tree was my nemesis. Then yesterday I was driving my girls to school and the Christmas song, "Mary did you know..." came on and I was grounded again about what Christmas is really about. Then I spent the evening with some very special girls and my obsession with the perfect tree has been silenced and my mind has once again been grounded with the true meaning of Christmas.



Pin It

28 comments:

  1. Wonderful story! The girls are lucky to have you to share Jesus with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a very lovely post Lissa - its amazing how little we actually need to fill up our hearts xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love every word.
    You are doing what you can.. What is needful..xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great story Lisa & I absolutely love the photo's. (Would make great christmas cards! )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your post Lissa. Every Christmas I make sure to watch A Charlie Brown Christmas. I know it sounds silly but it's a great way to remind myself what Christmas is all about. Love that you are pouring your heart into those girls. Nothing is more important!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this post. I have learned that giving to others is the best gift of all as we get so much in return. I am sure those girls are blessing your life as much as you are blessing theirs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad that you are true to what you are teaching your girls we all go through this on some level "making it perfect". This looks like you had a blast something they will remember forever. You should be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very Special! Bless you for stepping up and being there for these young girls~Kim

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE this! I think you will be an amazing part of these girl's lives forever. What a joy!!

    (That song gets me every time too)

    Mikal

    ReplyDelete
  10. Truly a beautiful post! You are such a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh friend i love this so much! those girls lives are going to be changed because you are taking time for them...because you are being a vessel for HIM. so proud of you. so glad my momma's soul winner legacy continues to pull people into the kingdom. she was fearless...still is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE this so much!
      What a beautiful story of how God uses people...Lissa, Becky, Becky's mom, and all those little girls and who knows how many THEY will touch through Lissa's giving to them...you just never know how many lives will be changed by one person loving God.

      Delete
  12. Girl, SUPER proud of you for getting out there and DOING this! The blessings you gain will be so flipping big. And that picture of you? Awesome. I know they adore you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. amen, girl.
    i fall into the same pattern, but then i remember what the True meaning of Christmas is all about.
    i will always love to design and decorate because the Lord has given me that desire too, but i don't want to let the devil use it to distract me so that i'm not useful for Him.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great job on stepping into the moment and creating a great experience! I know those girls are blessed by your heart and willingness to give.

    ReplyDelete
  15. By the way, I love the joyful smile on your profile picture! Healing, contentment, and passion all wrapped into one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this Lissa! I still remember being in high school and going to CCD class at my teacher's home. She was an amazing woman and I loved to hear her talk about God.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Truly inspiring. I have been dreaming about church this week... I want to be more involved and am trying to get the courage to do so...

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are so brave. I have a heart for these girls too but I feel fear about getting involved. It will become so personal, and my own time then was so not fun. Anyway, I keep feeling this push to do something, so I guess I better get it figured out!
    I have been completely unmotivated to decorate this year, but for all the wrong reasons. Thank you for sharing your own reminder moment of what it is all about.
    Love how the community came together to show the love. :) And you two are darling there at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  19. sweet! God is good all the time! i have been right there with you..being reminded of what christmas is really about and what it's not! you are a sweet momma for the time you invest in the lives of these girls and are inspiring to me to do the same! pray you are doing well:0)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Did you know that whenever I see your smile ~ it makes me smile too! What a wonderful thing that you are doing for these girls Lissa ~ it is so hard growing up now ~ much harder than when we were kids. My niece is 13 and some of the things ~ it's all teenage drama I know ~ but my heart hurts for her. Love how everyone came together to make this happen for you ~ love those socks. Happy week-end sweetie. xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh sweet Lissa, you made me tear up as I listened to your heart for these girls through your words. How wonderful and special it must be to Jesus to know that you want to be there and help young ladies like you are in these 6th grade girls. ....and the part about how Becky's mom witnessing the way she did and how it has impressed upon you to share in the same way, is awesome. I love how HE works, uses others and impresses upon us the purpose HE has for us. As sweet and hip as you are, I'm sure these 6th grade girls are so excited that you are there for them. This is sooooo awesome Lissa. I'm cheering you on and on and on...and can't wait to hear more.

    Hugs to you,
    Lee Ann

    ReplyDelete
  22. Stopping by from Becky's........How neat that Becky's Mom served as inspiration to you and you only heard about her and never met her. What a testimony to her! So enjoyed this post, I never tire of hearing how the Lord is working in other's lives as it serves to encourage me. Christmas blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is so fun! I think it's great you loving on these sweet girls. We just finally got our tree up yesterday. Feeling so behind. :( xo

    ReplyDelete