Saturday, November 17, 2012

It's starting to feel festive! Let's start the festivities with gf carrot cake!



I don't want to rush things but it's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas! It's in the air! I haven't started decorating or anything yet but there's just a feeling you start to get when Thanksgiving is just around the corner! Tonight my family is getting together to kick off the festivities. We have a tradition called the "dad says it's ok" party where my dad says it's finally "ok" for us to begin listening to Christmas music and enjoy our favorite Christmas movies. When we were younger we would start listening earlier and earlier every year. I remember once starting as early as Sept. 1! So we started this tradition and we do it every year! Tonight I was assigned to bring dessert so I made everyone's favorite carrot cake! I saw this idea on pinterest of putting pomegranate seeds on top of the cake with hand made flags and I couldn't wait to try it! I just made the flags with skewers, scraps from my mom's sewing room, and tacky glue. I'm just loving this cake! I think this may be the 3rd time I've posted this recipe over my 3 years of blogging but I'm sticking it here again as I shot this for my final project at school which is a cookbook. Many of the latest recipes I've posted are our favorites which I make time and time again and can promise you that they will turn out great!

A quick tip I tried today. If you cut circles out of parchment paper and place them in the bottom of your cake pan your cake will come of perfectly when turned over onto a plate!

Our family's favorite gluten free carrot cake!

2 c thai rice flour
2 c sugar
1 t baking soda
2 t cinnamon
1 t salt
1 1/4 c oil
4 eggs- beaten
3 c grated carrots

In a medium bowl place rice flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl. I always like to use a whisk to combine the ingredients together. Set aside.

In the bowl of your mixer place the oil, eggs, and carrots- mix well. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture into the oil mixture. Stir until combined.

Pour into 2 9" pans which have been lined with parchment paper.

Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean.

Allow to cool completely before removing from cake pans for frosting.

********

Cream Cheese Frosting

1- 8oz brick of cream cheese
1- cube unsalted butter
dash of vanilla
1- 1 pound box of powdered sugar

Cream together cream cheese and butter. Add the vanilla and slowly incorporate powdered sugar until thoroughly combined.

Frost your cake!

Pin It

18 comments:

  1. Your cake looks so beautiful Lissa! Have fun listening to your Christmas music. :) I love it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about feelin in the Christmas mood! To be fair, we do not have a long time to enjoy the season, four week is just not long enough! I was thinking of you the other day~ I am going to be wearing your apron in full swing this week as I do my holiday cooking! That cake looks delish! I might make that for a cookie swap I am going to. And the toothpick toppers are super cute! you said cookbook? is there a coookbook in the works? XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. just for my final project for school. nothing more! :)

      Delete
  3. If I didn't know that if was a picture (a beautiful one at that) I'd reached through my computer for a slice...ummm..just plain inspiring and creativity is off the chart!

    ReplyDelete
  4. a cookbook for your final project!!!! yay you!
    I can't wait to see you create a cookbook I can have in my kitchen!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cake looks beautiful!
    How much is 1 box of powdered sugar? I'm from Germany, so we might have different sizes of boxes...
    Thank you for your inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a 1 lb. box but you really can use any amount of powdered sugar until you get the consistency you like in your frosting.

      Delete
  6. I am so making this for Thanksgiving for my husband on his gluten free diet.
    Thanks! And Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks so yummy Lissa and I love your family tradition. Very fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know from experience how delicious this cake is. I discovered your blog after googling GF carrot cake. We've been friends ever since. I will be making it for Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks great!!! And your photos are fabulous. I am dying to know where you got that silver sparkly chain. LOVE it. Can you share your source???

    Happy Thanksgiving!!!

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kim! :) I just bought it recently at Anthropologie! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lissa...I had a feeling it was from there:)

      Delete
  11. Lissa, I am so greatful to have stumbled across your site. Today is my birthday and I was just looking to make a gluten free cake but I have found so much more. I have been feeling very lost and unsure of where to go from here. I recently told my sister that I wish I could just find something that would point me in the right direction. I have always been a mother and a wife and there was not much left over for anything else. I have spent the past few hours reading your stories and I believe that this is the answer that I have been looking for. Thank you so much for sharing your stories and experiences to help the rest of us, still struggling, to find our way. Forever grateful.

    ReplyDelete