Wednesday, November 7, 2012

from roasted chicken, to serving, to chicken stock, to my mom's gf chicken noodle soup!







This will be my last post on roasted chicken for awhile as my family has informed me that they're really starting to miss beef. In fact, I overheard my daughter ask Neal if we will ever have steak again to which he replied, "I don't know, there's still another chicken in the fridge!" haha. The neat thing is, I was petrified of cooking a roasted chicken just 2 years ago and now I can bake it without even pulling out a recipe! I can't even believe I've come this far!!

The Williams Sonoma's Thanksgiving issue of their catalog showed the most amazing pomegranate glaze that I just had to try! Basically I just prepared the chicken in the same way as I did here and added 1 large shallot chopped into thick chunks! After 30 minutes of roasting you just brush on your glaze every 10 minutes until a thermometer poked into the thickest part of the breast reads 165 degrees. The glaze adds a really delicious flavor to the chicken!

And I've come up with my own little styling trick that I think gives your platter a beautiful, yet rustic, home cooked appeal. I threw the pomegranates onto the roasting pan for about the last 15 minutes of cooking so that they would get a bit messy and browned. I wanted to place them around the chicken to show that the glaze had a pomegranate flavor to it. I also roasted the shallots along with the chicken and they taste amazing with your chicken! yum! Once I placed my chicken on a platter I just arranged everything around the bird in a pretty way. I think it makes a pretty presentation that takes little effort!

After dinner we took the leftover chicken, bones, and shallots and placed them in a ziplock baggie for boiling the next morning.


For the Pomegranate Roasted Chicken:

1 organic chicken for roasting- any size
2 lemons
4-5 cloves of garlic, minced
2 cloves of garlic, left whole
1 large shallot, chopped into thick chunks
2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
2-3 sprigs of fresh thyme
sea salt
freshly ground pepper
olive oil,
williams-sonoma's pomegranate citrus roasting glaze

Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.

First you prepare a rub for your chicken. Stir to combine in a small bowl:

The zest and juice of 1 lemon (it works best if you zest the lemon first before you cut it in half), minced garlic, sea salt, and freshly ground pepper (to taste). Add 1/4-1/2 t of minced fresh rosemary, 1/4-1/2 t of minced fresh thyme, and a splash of olive oil.

Buy any size chicken that will feed your family because you will cook it according to temperature. Remove the extras from the cavity of the chicken. With your fingers, loosen the skin covering the breasts. Apply some of the rub underneath the skin to coat the breasts; rub the remainder all over the outside. Place the chicken onto your pan breast side up. Cut your second lemon in half and place both halves into the cavity of the chicken along with 1 sprig of rosemary, 2 sprigs of thyme, and the remaining garlic cloves. Place your shallots around the chicken. When roasting your chicken you can tuck the wings underneath and tie the legs together for more even cooking. Roast your chicken for 30 minutes in a 450 degree preheated oven. After 30 minutes rotate your pan. Brush on the glaze every 10 minutes until the thermometer reading at the thickest part of the breast reaches 165 degrees.


For the Chicken Stock/ Soup:

chicken from your roasted chicken, bones, and shallots
6 stalks of celery- divided
4-6 carrots- divided
2 yellow onions
1 head of garlic- cloves left whole
6-8 fresh sprigs of thyme
2 T sea salt
2 t peppercorns- left whole
1 pkg gluten free spiral pasta

Chop 4 stalks celery, 1-2 carrots, and both onions into large chunks (about 3" pieces).

Place your chicken and bones into a pot and add the rest of your ingredients, saving the remaining carrots and celery for later.

Cover with water to the top of the chicken bone and let simmer for 2 hours. You can always add a little bit of water along the way if you notice a lot evaporating. After 2 hours the meat should be falling off of the bones.

Remove the pot from heat and let cool.

Using a slotted spatula pull everything out of the pot leaving the broth inside. Shred your chicken and throw away the bones. Slice the large chunks of cooked onion, celery, and carrots into bite sized pieces. Slice the remainder of the uncooked celery and carrots and add everything back into your pot. Simmer for another hour and a half.

When you have about 30 minutes of cook time left, cook your noodles according to the package directions, then add them into the soup for the last 15 minutes of cook time or until heated through.

Serve immediately.

*Taste your soup base as you go and add salt, pepper, or water as needed.

Don't be afraid to try this! As long as you keep it simmering on low you won't burn your soup. It really makes the house smell great and is such a wonderful fall and winter meal. Plus you really get your money's worth out of that chicken!

Pin It

20 comments:

  1. May I ask where you got those mugs? So cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they're by Rae Dunn. I got them at a shop called Ravenna Gardens.

      Delete
  2. That is a great idea to cook the noodles before adding them to the soup will remember this. Hope you feel better! How did you like the pom glaze it looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE the glaze! Would buy it again! But you get a ton. It will last awhile.

      Delete
  3. I think I am going to get brave and finally try this! My mom makes the best homemade noodles so thinking chicken noodle soup would be delicious this weekend when our family goes out of town together. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. More gorgeous / delicious photos! Did the family like the pom glaze?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa - can you discuss your meal planning strategy? Do you do once a week shopping? Daily shopping?

    Do you shop at the "big box" grocery stores or are more inspired at better type grocery stores.

    I'd love to know your tricks with meal/grocery planning!

    You are soooo good! Thanks! Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Jennifer. Right now I have no plan... I just make what I'm craving which usually requires a trip to the grocery store. I am trying to be better about having things in the pantry from Costco. Thanks for your kind comment!

      Delete
  6. Your photos of your chicken meals are so so lovely and so "real". We have chicken a lot in my household and have found your recipes inspiring. But I am really looking forward to seeing what you do with beef! Oh and definitely very cute mugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Warm and cozy photos and warm and cozy recipe. Looks so yummy. You're inspiring me to be brave in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I discovered your blog through the CMH course and I must say that I am so glad! This chicken looks delicious! For 18 years we had no chicken as my husband had developed an allergy to all poultry... imagine our surprise when he accidentally had some and had no reaction. After testing we discovered he can now eat chicken!!! So yes we are making up for lost time.... this meal will definitely be served time and again!

    Where did you get your napkins and towels? Do you find them to be highly absorbent? I am looking for replacements but have been saddened with the quality I'm finding recently. I know my family finds it odd but I really do enjoy washing dishes by hand... and having a towel that dries properly is so much more enjoyable!

    Once again thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I buy a lot of my towels from Studiopatro however I don't know if they're absorbent enough for you. They're linen and the quality is wonderful. You should at least check out her website!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not sure about glutten free but I do know a good thing when I see it ...and I love your blog and the pictures are WoW. So I'll say this one last thing and then I'm becoming your newest follower! With "roasted chicken that looks like that I'd eat it any day of the week (although I must confess I only eat the breast). Move over kids:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. oops I spelled gluten wrong in my original post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Where did you get your mugs? I love those!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm making your recipe today! Okay...I fudged a little....I'm not courageous enough to try the roasted chicken, so I bought one...but everything else (the easy part) I'm doing!
    :) you're my inspiration...cue Chicago 1990. :))

    ReplyDelete
  14. is that bread gluten free? It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is! It's the new millet bread by udi! :)

    ReplyDelete