Thursday, October 11, 2012

thoughts on home





If you were to ask me in the beginning of my marriage about what makes a home I would've told you that it was all about reaching a certain level of martha stewart type of perfection. While I credit her for teaching me the joys of living a beautiful life I also know that I took it all way to seriously.

As I've grown older I've learned a few things. I find that I LOVE being 40! I would never EVER go back to my younger years. I like being more grounded and maybe even being able to relax a little bit about crumbs on the floor.

Three years ago I started a garden. Just that alone has changed my life! I never knew that carrots were so sweet and fragrant and so much better tasting from the garden than from the grocery store. I take such pride in picking things from my garden that I've started from seed. I now know that your hands smell amazing after picking tomatoes and that rosemary adds the warmest and most amazing flavor to roasted chicken and pot roast. And if you pick fresh basil with your tomatoes the scent is intoxicating together! It's no wonder that the flavors blend so beautifully in a caprese salad! As I learn more and more I find myself attracted to seasonal eating- enjoying tomatoes and green beans during the summer and parsnips and potatoes in the winter. The more I learn the more in love with it all I become!

And then there's the kitchen. My FAVORITE thing in the whole world to do in the fall when the evenings are dark is to have the whole house tidy and picked up before my family gets home. I'm not saying perfect- just tidy. Then I enjoy having something simmering on the stove that makes that house smell warm and inviting- like when I was a kid, or like I remember my grandma's house being. I buy big bags of tea lights from IKEA whenever I'm there and put them into all sorts of glass containers around the house before everyone gets home. Then I make sure to have french cafe radio, kari jobe radio, or hawaiian music radio playing on pandora as my background music. I try to have everything done as much as possible so that I can greet my family with big hugs and kisses as they each get home. While I finish dinner the girls sit at the bar and do their homework. Then we sit together as a family to enjoy our dinner together as much as possible and my girls talk our ears off- especially our youngest!

The other thing I LOVE and I mean ADORE is making a cozy home. We live where it's grey and drizzly all the time so I really am attracted to anything cozy. I pile layers of furry pillows and thick, nubby blankets into the living room and during the summer we added a gas fireplace which is a dream all its own! In my dream world I have time to sit by that cozy fire and enjoy a book. Unfortunately that rarely happens but I still want it to!!

After the kids go to bed my husband and I crash in front of the t.v. We have all of our favorite shows on the DVR which we enjoy together. Ha! Who am I kidding! My husband enjoys them wall I'm sound asleep!

We live a very simple life but I've found that's what makes me happiest. That's all that I can handle. Life is ugly enough out there and I want my home to be a safe refuge for the people I love. Pin It

24 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for you that you know what's important to you in a home. I can just picture you as you describe each detail. Coziness is important to me too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the first! whoo hoo! I LOVE YOU Lissa D! You've grown into quite the lady. I wish we saw each other more often. I would love to do another IKEA trip with you or even get a SBUX together. It looks like you've made some changes at your house! I need to come see! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post. I love the picture you have painted of your evenings at home. Sounds so cosy and what an environment of love for your girls to grow up in!
    I am inspired to get our vege garden growing again and to get the house picked up before my girls get home too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lissa, I love this post. I think it is probably one of my favorites of yours. I have watched you evolve from the beginning or your blog, and I LOVE the confident, simple, loving mom/wife that you are. You have learned what is most important in life, even if it wasn't an easy path for you at times, and you bring so much happiness and coziness into the lives of your followers. Here's wishing you and your family the coziest, yummiest smelling, heart warming-est Fall and Winter season. Thank you for being YOU, and not Martha:)
    XXOO
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay how have i missed this many of your sweet posts!?? I have to tell you that browsing through and getting caught up over hers felt like reading magazine. You are in a whole other level with you photography girl!!! I am blown away. (Yummy recipes too) :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely love this post (and all the pictures). I want to read it every day. I feel exactly the way you do; I've just never been able to put it into words like that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lissa, I'm so inspired by this post. Thank you. I'd love to say more but get choked up every time I try to formulate the sentences. Know you that you have really touched & encouraged me to find my calm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You inspire me so much, love the pictures.
    blessings,Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  9. please do tell where you got that amzing chair from?! LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i can vouch that your home is a beautiful peaceful safe haven. i love being there. we have the exact same routine at night. wouldn't change a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lissa, this is what life is supposed to be---family. What a wonderful life you are creating for your whole family. When I am out and about I see families but what I see is that they are disconnected. One is talking on the phone, another texting. They are not communicating with eachother. You are bringing you family, food and home to the highest level and your children in turn will pass it on. Blessings to you and your family, Valerie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A beautiful post! I can remember wanting to prove myself when I was newly married. I hosted parties, dinners, outings, and even decorated to the hilt for holidays. Fast forward, my mom passing away, a nephew killed in an accident, friends with cancer, husband losing his job, and now the only thing that matters to me is family and friends, and my faith. There will always be dust, crusty counters, a bit of clutter, and late suppers, and that's OK with me. And now my focus has shifted to living a healthier lifestyle.

    Thanks for sharing. I'm a bit jealous of your garden. I've tried several times to make a successful garden but it never seems to work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely post with such vibrant photos you have skills Missy and I see you have a palm in your house so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just your description of your garden makes me want to run out and plant one right now. Sadly October in Canada doesn't really go with that idea! Living the simple life is what I strive for.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this post. After a long day at work, there is nothing that I would rather do than to sit at the table with my family and catch up on what happened in each of our days. Our 17 year old son brought home a friend and she thought that it was "weird" that we sit at the dinner table and have dinner and talk as a family. She said at her house that each person eats whenever they want so it's at different times and usually on the sofa. This really makes me sad.

    Lora

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this post so much Lissa. It is beautiful. You should share more about your garden. Pictures and maybe some ideas for us that would like to start our own but are scared ;) Maybe it's not the best time of year for that but maybe next spring?!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this post - makes me happy just viewing these photos. I love love love having a fire in the fireplace. So relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. we have the same routine at night.....
    your home is so cozy....and I agree....would NEVER go back to the younger years.
    i love that our homes can represent our unique families.

    you've done a beautiful job, lissa, on making your home so "y'all." :)

    your love for all of it is contagious.

    ReplyDelete
  19. beautiful.
    i'm not sure i can completely abandon the chaos just yet, but the images of the peacefulness your post conjures is quite tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your photography is beautiful. You have the cutest doggie. What breed is he? He doesn't look like a yorkie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a yorkie! :) He has unique coloring. ;)

      Delete
  21. I just adore your blog. Your photography is amazing and your food always looks so great!! I can totally relate to the smell of your hands after picking tomatoes, there is nothing like it. Having a garden has been one of my favorite things about being an "adult". I love the simple life!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've just found you ( I saw a pin of your beautifully organised pantry on Pinterest!!) and well... I could not agree more with all you wrote in this post.
    A simple life, creating a refuge from the outside world, having our families gathered around a good meal (we also grow our garden and it is something so so rewarding and beutiful), what else?

    Great blog, wonderful pictures and recipes.

    Thank you

    Francesca from Italy

    ReplyDelete