Monday, October 29, 2012

The ultimate gluten free lasagna! (in my humble opinion.) :)





Hi Everyone!

Happy Halloween!!

Can you believe that we are almost into November! It makes me gulp a little! I hope you've all fared well through those terrible storms!

Today I had planned all along on making my favorite lasagna for dinner so that I could also shoot it for my final project for school. While working away on my lasagna I spontaneously decided to surprise my family with a candlelit dinner and a table spread all set up for Halloween. I'm not really big on the whole Halloween thing but it was fun to pull out some of my old party supplies from the storage closet and the girls just loved it! Actually, my husband thought it was pretty fun as well. Lasagna is probably the ultimate comfort food and we ate it by candlelight. It felt like a pretty special Monday night. :) Because I am an organization nut it probably only took me about 20 minutes to find the decorations and spread them out onto the table. I was SO excited for everyone to come home and see my surprise! They were even more excited about the lasagna than the decorations! I'm telling you, this is a good one! It makes a nice, big 10x13 pan of pasta so even though it takes a bit to prepare you can hopefully get two meals out of it! This is an old magazine clipping that I've had in my binder for years. It's been adapted from the original version.


Ingredients:

2 T olive oil
2 yellow onions, chopped
2 lbs ground turkey
sea salt to taste
freshly ground pepper to taste
1 T dried oregano
1 T dried marjoram
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 T balsamic vinegar
1 c red wine
2 28oz cans crushed tomatoes
3 T thinly sliced fresh basil, divided
3 T chopped fresh oregano, divided
1 lb cottage cheese
1 c whole milk ricotta cheese
2 large eggs
8 to 10 gluten free hot, cooked lasagna noodles
1 lb shredded mozzarella
1 c freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus extra for garnishing

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over med-high heat. Add onion, and saute about 5 minutes or until soft and translucent. Add beef, and cook, stirring until it crumbles and is no longer pink. Add sea salt and next 3 ingredients. Cook, stirring occasionally, 5 more minutes or until beef is cooked through. Add garlic, and cook 1 more minute.

2. Add balsamic vinegar and wine, and cook about 1 minute or until slightly reduced. Add tomato; reduce heat to low. Cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens. Stir in 1 1/2 T each fresh bail and oregano.

3. Combine cottage cheese, ricotta, eggs, and remaining fresh herbs in a medium bowl; stir to combine.

4. Spread 2 2/3 c sauce in bottom of a 9x13 baking dish. Place 1/2 of noodles over sauce, and sprinkle with half of mozarella. Top with another 2 2/3 c sauce, noodles, and cottage cheese mixture. Layer remaining mozzarella, 2 2/3 c sauce, and parmesan on top. Cover with foil, and bake at 350* for 50 minutes. Uncover and continue to bake 30 minutes more or until cheese browns slightly. Let stand 30 minutes before serving. Pin It

31 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing these gluten free recipes Lisa, its so great getting recipes that you have tried & know to be good. I am in Australia & would love to be able to get the cup4cup flour you talk about but it doesn't seem to be available over here :( Hope someone starts to stock it soon! Your photography is going great, glad you are enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh.my.word!!! I could just hug you!! THANK YOU for this recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks amazing. i am definitely making this. haven't had lasagna in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. girl....that table is amazing.
    I'm so impressed that you pulled it out in 30 minutes and got it all set up to surprise your family. :) very intentional living!

    The lasagna looks scrumptious. I pinned it to my gluten free Pinterest board. :) Then, I pinned the halloween table setting to my Halloween board. You gave me all kinds of inspiration today!!!

    I did a halloween mantle...first time ever...my kids LOVED it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your halloween table what a fun treat for your girls and hubby! Your pictures always amaze me - sure you will ace this class.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would love to hear about your new table!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks amazing! Is there a brand of GF lasagna noodles that you could recommend? I would hate to make this and in the end the noodles kill it. :) Thank you!! Vikki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use the lasagna noodles by Tinkyada. it's a brown rice pasta

      Delete
  8. I miss the days when my kids were young and we enjoyed decorating the table in holiday themes.

    Your lasagna sounds fabulous! I'm goin to have to try this one since our family loves lasagna. Not sure if I'll be able to find gluten free noodles in my small grocery though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I miss the days when the kids were young and we decorated the table in holiday themes.

    Your lasagna sound wonderful. Our family loves lasagana so I think I will give this a try. Not sure that our little grocery carries the gluten free noodles...

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute Lissa!
    That lasagna is making my mouth water!
    Mmmmmm good!
    :)

    Deborah xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. sounds yummy! I am soooo loving your halloween table! very cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lasagna is one of my favorites don't you hate that you have to wait for it after you take it out of the oven! Cute table.

    Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your lasagna is very similar to how I make mine. I will have to try your version and see how it turns out. It looks delicious and lasagna is one of my family's favorite meals. I love your Halloween table decor. I still remember your post from several years ago when you decorated your kitchen and dining area in Halloween decor. I believe you were having friends over for a mini Halloween party. You did such a fabulous job decorating with the cutest Halloween items! But, then again, you always decorate your home beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for your humble lasagna recipe....I could eat pasta everyday....it's my favorite. Hope your Halloween is happy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous photos, thanks for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. love your video on Jeanne's CMH...
    Your a doll and was very inspired by all of it!
    Praise Him.....
    Kara

    ReplyDelete
  17. This recipe looks fabulous Lissa ~ I am going to grab it for the future! Happy week-end. xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks divine! Please tell me you didn't make your own gluten free pasta! Love candlelight dinners. We haven't had a light over our kitchen table since we moved in, so we've been eating by candlelight for the last 4 months. So cozy! xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  19. your pictures are beautiful. i love seeing glimpses of your home. i am hoping you do a post on your new dining room table. best, robin in umbria

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just saw this post the other day - and since I have been looking for another lasagna recipe I decided to try it tonight. I have made GF lasagnas in the past, but someone in the family has never liked it. My husband does not like ricotta cheese - I adore it! I had tried it with just cottage cheese, but he still didn't like that. Tonight, your recipe was a hit! It had the cheese factor my daughter and I love, but wasn't too cheesy or ricotta tasting for my husband. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lissa,

    I ain't no regular cook, but I am making your recipe tonight for a small group meal tomorrow. It's all mixed up and in the oven now. Looking forward to how it comes out. Thanks for the recipe.

    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And now that I have had it out of the oven and and tasted it, that meat sauce is fantastic. I am looking forward to having a full slice of the lasagna tomorrow. Thanks!

      Bruce

      Delete
  22. Hi Lissa,
    Your lasagne looks delicious. I'm busy preparing for a visit from our boys and their families. One of our daughter-in-laws has recently been diagnosed with gluten intolerance and I'm trying to find some yummy recipes. She is also a vegetarian. Have you ever tried - or do you think it might work - if I were to replace your ground turkey with a veggie product?

    Thanks so much!

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh boy! I honestly don't know! I've never tried it any other way and I don't know what the vegetarian substitutions would be. If it were me I might try adding some vegetables like zucchini and carrots cut up into small pieces in place of the turkey.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Lissa,

    Thanks so much for sharing your recipe! I'm going to try making the lasagna tonight and I have a question regarding the noodles. I found GF rice lasagna noodles that are already cooked. Will that change the baking time at all?

    Thanks for your time!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should not change the baking time because I pre cook my noodles. Enjoy!

      Delete
  25. How many does this feed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's a 9x13 pan worth of lasagna. It should feed 8 people well.

      Delete
  26. This looks amazing!! I am going to try the recipe tonight. Also, Where did you get the spider web looking stuff for the table or what is it called? I love it so much more than the regular cotton ones.. Beautiful decorations!

    ReplyDelete