Wednesday, October 3, 2012

roasted garlic pasta/ a family favorite






I had an idea! I catch myself looking up my blog on my phone while grocery shopping all the time in order to check ingredients for a recipe- especially when I have forgotten my grocery list. I got to thinking. There are many recipes on this blog that have become family favorites. Those go-to recipes that I make all of the time and are always a crowd pleaser and not too time consuming. I thought I might highlight these recipes in a separate section on my blog called "our family favorites."

The first is a roasted garlic pasta recipe that I've made time and time again. When you make this your house will smell like an Italian restaurant. For this recipe I do roast my own garlic which takes about 35 minutes. If you're short on time you can pick up some garlic paste at the store, however, roasting your garlic at home gives it such a unique and amazing flavor. I hope you'll try it! Maybe this weekend as a way to officially ring in fall with your family! Also, make sure to get San Marzano canned tomatoes! They may cost a couple of dollars more but the flavor is completely worth it in this dish!!!

We serve this pasta with fresh gluten free garlic bread which I just butter and pour a bit of garlic salt over the top and place under the broiler for about a minute. I also like to have a small dish of gourmet olives for nibbling.

I hope your family finds it as enjoyable as mine does!!

For the roasted garlic recipe visit here:

This recipe was originally found on the Williams-sonoma website.

Pasta with Roasted Garlic- Tomato Sauce and Basil

2 T olive oil
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1 can (28oz.) peeled whole tomatoes, seeded and diced
3 T roasted garlic paste
4-6 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 lb. gluten free pasta, cooked al dente

In a saucepan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. When the oil is hot but not smoking, add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and translucent, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the tomatoes, stir to mix and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to med-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens slightly, about 20 minutes.

Stir in the garlic paste and continue cooking, stirring as needed, 20-25 minutes more. Stir in the basil and cook until the leaves are tender and wilted, 2-3 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper. Toss the sauce with the pasta and serve immediately. Pin It

9 comments:

  1. Wow ! the recipe looks very yummy and tempting.Would definitely like to prepare that sometime !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. uh this looks/sounds amazing! i need to make a whole list of your shared recipes to try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a tasty looking dish your family looks like they are so enjoying dinnertime. You are right about using good tomatoes they make a huge difference.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. okay....i obviously saw the instagram before the blog post bc I never saw the pasta with it. :)

    I was wondering what you were eating with your roasted garlic, and now i know.

    Happy weekend~

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks yummy! I think your pictures are fantastic... Keep it going!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yum! Can't wait to try this simple and elegant meal. Love those flowers on your table!!! Do you know what kind they are? Sweet family, you have.

    Thanks for sharing,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lis- love your new table and chandy!

    ReplyDelete