Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Roasted Chicken With Vegetables- a family favorite




When my friend Becky recently visited me she was adamant that I cook for her during her stay so on Saturday we spent the afternoon in my kitchen while she sat at my table and I cooked. That is one of my favorite memories that we've ever spent together. It felt relaxed, casual, and pretty much like family. I am truly just a home cook who just keeps learning in the kitchen but I must say I've mastered the roasted chicken. I know it may look fancy or difficult but it truly is just something you pop into the oven and it does it's magic all on its own as long as you follow a few basic steps.

For the chicken:

1 organic chicken for roasting- any size
2 lemons
4-5 cloves of garlic, minced
2 cloves of garlic, left whole
2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
2-3 sprigs of fresh thyme
sea salt
freshly ground pepper
olive oil,
williams-sonoma's pomegranate citrus roasting glaze

Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.

First you prepare a rub for your chicken. Stir to combine in a small bowl:

The zest and juice of 1 lemon (it works best if you zest the lemon first before you cut it in half), minced garlic, sea salt, and freshly ground pepper (to taste). Add 1/4-1/2 t of minced fresh rosemary, 1/4-1/2 t of minced fresh thyme, and a splash of olive oil.

Buy any size chicken that will feed your family because you will cook it according to temperature. Remove the extras from the cavity of the chicken. With your fingers, loosen the skin covering the breasts. Apply some of the rub underneath the skin to coat the breasts; rub the remainder all over the outside. Place the chicken onto your pan breast side up. Cut your second lemon in half and place both halves into the cavity of the chicken along with 1 sprig of rosemary, 2 sprigs of thyme, and the remaining garlic cloves. When roasting your chicken you can tuck the wings underneath and tie the legs together for more even cooking. Roast your chicken for 30 minutes in a 450 degree preheated oven. After 30 minutes rotate your pan. Brush on the glaze every 10 minutes until the thermometer reading at the thickest part of the breast reaches 165 degrees.

Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.


For your vegetables: (bake separately from your chicken or they can be overdone)

Lower the temperature of your oven to 425* and bake while the chicken is resting.

You will need:

At least 8 carrots if they're small.
2 parsnips chopped into large wedges
6-8 small red potatoes cut in half
olive oil
sea salt
freshly ground pepper

Place all vegetables onto a cookie sheet.

Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt and freshly ground pepper.

Roast for about 30 minutes at 425 degrees or until the vegetables are tender.

Roasting really brings out the flavor of the vegetables!

Serve with your chicken.

Yum!!! Pin It

20 comments:

  1. So you bake the chicken and the veggies seperate? Then just warm up the chicken? Looks delic! I always think it would be hard to make a chicken but I really should try it as much more flavorful than always buying those rotisserie ones at the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for asking this. Yes you bake them separately. I tried to make that more clear. :) I hope you will try it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must try this sometime. It sounds tasty. normally I just put the chicken in without anything else! Time to learn a few new tricks I reckon! ps. found you through farmgirl paints. Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have roast chicken and roast veggies a lot and I love pulling up carrots, beetroot and leeks from the garden and roasting them. So flavoursome!! When you prepare the chicken in this way I call it loving the chicken as it is so so tasty. Your photos make me want to make this dinner right now, even though I've already eaten today :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm, this sounds yummy! I've never baked a whole chicken before--not even sure our little grocery carries them whole so I'll have to ask. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are amazing. Your cooking...your photography...
    I would love to sit at your table and visit while you cooked for me.
    That Becky was one lucky farm girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thankyouthankyouthankyou! you are a cooking love warrior;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! I have mastered the roasted chicken and veggies meal, but really am not good at the carving. It usually ends up looking like I pulled it apart! Any suggestions??

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's beautiful!! Adding this to next weeks menu! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. All of your meals this week make me want to cozy up! I think I want to be like Becky and hang out while you cook for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it I can just taste that crispy skin! Those carrots look so carrotie!

    ReplyDelete
  12. looks fabulous !! ( chicken and photography )

    - here's a fickle question for you - do you scrub that cookie sheet completely clean each time or just designate a particular sheet as the chicken sheet? I know its a ridiculous thing to wonder but there you have it - its on my mind

    I'll definately be following your instruction to the letter - hope I can do as good a job xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness this looks so delicious!! I still have most of the herbs growing in our herb garden and I know my family will love this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. If I could find out how I came across your blog, I would give them praise galore. Mercy, this is an outstanding blog full of info and superb photography! Thank you for the time you put into this amazing blog.

    GOD bless and keep you and yours safe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lissa! This recipe is amazing. The only thing I have to gripe about is that between the chicken coming out and the vegetables being done, somehow, the chicken legs and skin all vanished. Its like "someone" in the house could not stop picking. :D Thanks for another keeper recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is one of our family faves, too. You make it look so special! I love seeing you grow as a photographer! xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lissa, this looks so very yummy and I plan to make it tomorrow for the family. I do have a quick question...do you bake it breastside down?! I think that's what you said, but just want to be sure. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Valerie! Thank you for pointing this out. I've fixed it on my recipe! It's so hard to get every detail right when you're trying to write down what you do. Anyways, the breast goes UP. I just wrote it wrong. Probably typing too fast. :)

      Delete
  18. Hi Lissa

    absolutely admire the way that you give all the glory to the lord. you're doing a fantastic job. May you continue to blessed with yummy recipes, beautiful pics and an abundant life!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Lissa
    Just came across your blog. Absolutely admire you giving glory to God. May HE continue to bless you with yummy recipes, fantastic pics and an abundant life!

    ReplyDelete