Sunday, October 21, 2012

pot roast, the ultimate comfort food, a family favorite.




There are two smells that will always remind me of my mama. The first is the smell of pine sol. Ask any of my cousins, I think we all think of the house I grew up in when we small that! The other is pot roast. For me it's the ultimate comfort food because there was nothing I loved more growing up than walking in the door and smelling that mom had put a roast in the oven. It's so funny because if you've never made a roast it seems a little intimidating but truly there isn't much that is easier to prepare! It was the third thing my mom taught us to make. The first was how to heat up campbell's soup, the second was kraft mac n cheese, and the third was pot roast. See! That's not so intimidating now is it? :) And what's fabulous is that it's a one pot meal so dinner is done and out of the way with only 1 pot to clean up after dinner! It's such a cozy thing to make in the winter! Discovering the flavor of adding fresh rosemary, red wine, and fresh thyme to the roast rocked my world and took this home cooked meal from ordinary to extraordinary!

For the roast you will need:


1 chuck roast.
1 large bunch of carrots
Your favorite type of potatoes
1 large onion
3-5 cloves of garlic left whole
2/3- 3/4 cup red wine
2/3- 3/4 cup beef broth
1 fresh sprig of rosemary
2 fresh sprigs of thyme
freshly ground pepper and salt to taste

Salt and pepper your roast, then place it into a roasting pan. Cut the carrots, potatoes, and onion into large chunks; place them with the garlic around your meat. Pour the wine and beef broth over the top. Place the rosemary and thyme on top of your meat then cover with a lid or foil.


Cook at 325 degrees for 4 hours.


That's it! It doesn't get much easier than that!!

Enjoy!! Pin It

17 comments:

  1. I am so making that one night this week! Looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum!
    that's one of our faves too!!
    beauitful photography :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a simple recipe to make when companies coming. Looks real fancy schmancy, but love that it pretty much the whole meal, in one pot! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks so good, I love to smother my plate with the juices.
    Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this, Lissa! I picked up all the ingredients this morning and just put it into the oven. Seems a perfect meal for a gray Monday evening in the NW. I had to laugh at your mom's order of recipes. Mine was not much further off - except we had scrambled eggs in there once we mastered heating up soup and mac & cheese. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This WAS good. My girls gobbled theirs up and I'm hoping I have some for lunch tomorrow once DH gets a hold of it.

      Delete
    2. thanks for letting me know! I'm so happy you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  6. Hi!

    Can you tell me where you got your cozy throw that is on your Crate and Barrel chair in your recent post?

    I would love to knit one if there is a pattern?

    thank you!

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where is your white serving bowl from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's from a little shop in Seattle called Three Birds. :)

      Delete
  8. That looks yummy and I am making a roast tomorrow so I'm going to try yours. I just won't be able to photograph it as well ;) and while everyone is asking - did you get a new table??? That looks awesome. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Somehow my roasts always turn out blah...I'll have to give yours a whirl. :) You talking about your mom and your love for this meal made me think of a silly story I heard a long time ago (It's one of those things that I can't remember if it's true or just lore). Have you heard this one? A girl watched her mom prepare Thanksgiving dinner every year until she was grown. They always had a ham. Her mom always lopped off each end of the ham before she put it in their roasting pan. When it was the girl's turn to host once she was an adult, she had her family over for the meal, including her parents. Just like her mom, she lopped off the ends of her ham before she put it in the roaster. She was so proud that she was growing into this role! Her mom looked at her like she was crazy, and asked,"Why did you cut off the ends?!" She replied,"Well, that's the way you always made it!" Her mom told her,"I had to cut the ham because otherwise it wouldn't fit into my pan!" There was some moral to the story about asking before following traditions (it must have been a made up one, I don't know). Anyway, it made me chuckle to think of it. I love that this tradition was passed down from your mom to you, minus any unnecessary chopping! :) Hope you're having a great week, Lissa!

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of my favorites...and it does make the house smell heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is one of my very favourite meals but hubby is not big on having everything cooked together ~ boo hiss. I do make it once in awhile and he just has to deal with it! Mom always sprinkled a packet of Lipton onion soup mix over the roast :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is one of our favorites!!! Except since I can't be home we use the crockpot although I prefer it in the oven.

    ReplyDelete