Tuesday, October 9, 2012

grilled gluten free pizza by candlelight- a family favorite





I've always wanted to find a gluten free pizza crust recipe that was reliable and easy enough to handle and roll out so that it could be made on the grill. I found my answer in the French Laundry's Cup for cup flour! Let me tell you, I've been a gluten free baker for 23 years and have never found anything as wonderful or as easy to use as this cup for cup flour! The things that have always caused me grief in the past; pizza dough, pie crust, etc. are EASY now that I've tried this flour! I truly think you can make anything with it and it takes the stress out of gluten free baking! I buy mine at Williams-Sonoma. The gluten free flour is simple to use! You just substitute 1 cup of cup for cup flour for 1 cup of regular white flour in any recipe. So far it has worked for me every single time! It's a bit pricey but when you consider that you don't need to buy several types of flour to make your own mix it ends up not being too much more. I reserve mine for special things like pizza dough. I can not talk highly enough about this flour! I could be their spokesperson! :)

Every once in awhile I like to take an afternoon and prepare pizza dough and homemade tomato sauce for when my family gets home. When they arrive we preheat the grill and pizza pan and roll out the dough. Together we choose the ingredients for each pizza. It's a lot of fun. When it's time to eat I enjoy placing tea lights around the table and we go to town trying the different types of pizzas we've grilled. It's a fun thing to do on the weekend or when time allows! There is nothing that tastes better than pizza that's fresh off of the grill and I'm so thankful to finally be able to enjoy it while eating gluten free!

This recipe has been adapted from Gwyneth Paltrow's book My Father's Daughter.

For the dough:

makes about 3 small pizzas

1 c + 2 T warm water, divided
1 T granulated sugar
1/4 tsp + 1/8 tsp active dry yeast
About 2 1/2 cups- Cup for Cup flour plus a bit more for dusting
1 3/4 t extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 t coarse salt

Whisk together 1/2 c + 2 T water, sugar and yeast in a large bowl and let stand until surface has a few little bubbles and is creamy, about 5 minutes. Add 1/2 c water, 2c flour, olive oil, and salt, and stir until smooth. While stirring, gradually add up to another 1/2 cup of flour until the dough starts to pull itself from the edges of the bowl.
Knead the dough on a generously floured surface until elastic and smooth- it will take about 8 minutes of hard work. Dust the surface with flour as you go- you don't want the dough to stick. Form the kneaded dough into a ball, dust with flour, and gently place in a large bowl and cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Let it rise in a warm spot until doubled, about 1 1/2 hours. (You can let it sit for up to a couple of hours or even overnight in the refrigerator.)

For the sauce:

2 T extra virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic, peeled and left whole
1 28- oz can San Marzano whole, peeled tomatoes with their juice
1 t coarse salt

Meanwhile heat the olive oil in a medium pot over medium heat with the garlic. Add the tomatoes and their juice and salt and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and let the sauce simmer for 1 hour. Cool it to room temperature and puree in the blender.

To assemble the pizzas, divide the dough into thirds. Take one third and roll out the dough on parchment paper until it's quite thin. Add your sauce and toppings and then CAREFULLY slide your pizza off of the parchment paper and onto your preheated pizza pan. I hear this is much easier with a pizza peel but I do not own one yet. For us we enjoy grilling our pizza outside over hot coals. Before preheating your pizza pan make sure it's one that can handle the heat of the coals. (We broke one once) Move the coals to the sides of the grill so that the bottom of your pizza doesn't burn and place your pizza pan in the center to preheat. Then slowly slide your pizza onto the preheated pan. Ours cook for about 8 or 9 minutes but it depends on how hot your pizza pan is. Watch closely or the bottom will burn.

You can top your pizza with anything you like!

My favorite is the classic margarita pizza topped with homemade pizza sauce, fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced fresh tomatoes (preferably heirloom) and fresh basil sliced into thin strips.

My kids prefer pepperoni with shredded mozzarella.

I have a friend that recently shared this wonderful combination with me. Homemade tomato sauce, pesto, fresh mozzarella, crumbled feta, and sun dried tomatoes. After cooking sprinkle a small amount of truffle oil over the top before serving. Yum!

Any combination you can dream of should work! Enjoy!! Pin It

18 comments:

  1. Mmmmm, we love pizza. Thanks for the recipe! I keep saying I'mg going to make one gluten meal a week, on unprocessed meal a week, and one low fat meal a week, but never seem to get it done because of our busy schedule (plus some very picky eaters who don't believe in making these changes in their diet).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks Simply Divine!With that setting I could eat anything though.Lol Very pretty~Cheers Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the pizza pics...the milk 'mugs' look like our set we use each night! :) Lissa...when are you going to do a post on your bathroom makeover? Saw the pic on your instagram and am curious about how you chose to go with a walk-in shower...that is what it is right? I'm so interested in them for our own masterbath make-over but am wondering about the 'clean up' or process involved with having a walk-in...your thoughts? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love making homemade pizza and it's always a favorite among the family. Thanks for giving me another fun recipe to try out!
    Also I am in love with your new table do you mind sharing where it's from and if it's easy to wipe down and clean up spills?
    Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Lissa, I have a bag of cup4cup sitting on my counter! I was going to try my hand at pasta! I LoVe the idea of pizza! My brother just told me this weekend about his friend who is now selling her own mix as well. It is called Deya's. deyasglutenfree.com I haven't tried it yet, but it is also a cup for cup type product. I will share if I try before you. Also, we have been ordering bread from Katz Gluten Free, and like it better than Udi's. I know you bake your own, but it's great in the freezer in a pinch.

    What a lovely dinner you had. I love the saucy looking pizza. I also have a garlic scape pesto in the freezer that would be nice. Thanks for the great ideas...I'm so glad you are back....you seem to ground me and inspire me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that you ate by candlelight. What a fun idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am really happy that you're writing regular posts again, I missed you!! And what a lovely idea, homemade pizza by candlelight, I am definitely going to do this as I love making homemade pizza. It looks very atmospheric. Your photos are very inspiring and very striking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Although I do not need to bake gluten free, I have several friends who do. I will pass this cup for cup flour info along to them. The pizza looks wonderful, gluten free or not!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You got it right hands down it's the best product! Is it not amazing? It makes the most tender pancakes too. You have to scoop and then spread them on the griddle because it's a little gooey but the end result is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lissa, pizza yay! It looks fantastic I love a thin crust.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just found out yesterday that my daughter is wheat and gluten sensitive. Thankful that I have actually been leading a semi-Paleo lifestyle but now will cut out all gluten. I have always enjoyed your blog. The recipes that you post are very similar to the meals that I enjoy cooking and you've made it so much easier for me to tweak them to be GF. Very excited for an answer about my daughter and looking forward to getting my bake on!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Does anyone know how much iron is in this flour? I can't find any nutritional info. Your pizza looks delicious.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It says: iron 2% in 1/4c. Hope that helps!

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much Lissa! :)

      Delete
  13. lissa, we made this recipe using cup4cup last night, and it was perfect!

    http://www.food.com/recipe/chocolate-chip-muffins-9326

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your love for cooking for your family...
    The picture to candlelight is so beautiful...love seeing the hands holding the pizza...you captured a real moment for your family. love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Lissa, that flour sounds amazing. Unfortunately it would cost me $33.00 before shipping to get it to Australia, even though our dollars are so similar ... Can't spend $43 on one pack of flour! Am wondering what they put in it to make it so similar to wheat flour in the way it works?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been wondering if that flour was any good! I'll have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete