Sunday, October 28, 2012

Grandma Lu's Apple Pie made gluten free!


That crying baby is me, by the way. :)




One of my absolute favorite memories I have growing up was driving over the mountains to grandma's house for Thanksgiving. My parents usually picked us up from school early so that we could get through the pass before dark in case of heavy snow. We'd stop for dinner along the way and usually arrive at grandma's house sometime between 9:00pm and 10:00pm. Grandma would spend all afternoon on Wednesday baking pies so that she didn't have to worry about them on Thursday. Every year when we walked up her front steps we were greeted with the smell of grandma's pie. Her house was always warm and she loved us so much and would hug us so tightly you actually had to hold your breath! Thanksgiving morning usually woke us up with smells of turkey in the oven and a lingering sweetness of pie. Grandpa and dad would sit in the living room and watch the Macy's Thanksgiving parade with us until grandma would send us into the dining room to set the table. She had the most incredible set of hobnail china which we used every year. It almost seems a shame to ever eat Thanksgiving dinner on any other plate. I miss this tradition so deeply but am so grateful for the warm memories that invade my mind every time I bake her apple pie.

For the crust of this pie I used the cup4cup flour! What a difference that flour makes! The crust rolled out so simply and worked on my FIRST TRY! Pie crust is always something I've struggled with getting right when baking gluten free. I thought I had it when I posted an apple pie recipe last year but am tempted to delete it because this is the flakiest gluten free crust I've made yet! My dad even gave it a huge thumbs up and he can be a bit stubborn when it comes to gluten free! I'm so grateful for a flour that has made my gluten free baking EASY as pie. ha! :)

I used a crust recipe out of Williams-Sonoma's Home Baked Comfort cookbook and just substituted the cup4cup gluten free flour for the all-purpose flour which the original recipe calls for.

For the flakey gluten free pie crust:

2 cups cup4cup flour
1/2 tsp kosher salt (it's important to use kosher)
1 tsp sugar
3/4 c very cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
8 Tbsp ice water, plus more if needed.

In the bowl of a food processor, stir together the flour, salt, and sugar. Sprinkle the butter over the top and pulse for a few seconds, or just until the butter is slightly broken up into the flour but still visible in pieces. Evenly sprinkle the water over the flour mixture, then process just until the mixture starts to come together. Dump the dough onto a work surface, press it together, then divide it in half. Press each half into a disk, then place the disks in a large zip-lock plastic bag. Refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes or up to 1 day, or freeze up to 1 month.

When ready roll out your dough for the pie crust.

For Grandma Lu's filling:

6 cups granny smith apples- cored, peeled, and thinly sliced
3/4 c - 1 c sugar depending on taste.
1 TB cornstarch
1 tsp ground cinnamon
a couple of shakes of nutmeg
2 TB butter- from a cold, hard stick
1 tsp lemon juice

Combine sugar, spices, salt, and cornstarch. Set aside 2 T in a small bowl. Pour the rest over the apples and stir. Sprinkle the lemon juice over the top and stir. Let sit for at least 10-15 minutes.

Pour the 2 T of the sugar mixture you set aside into the base of your pie crust. Then pour the apples into the crust. Place the sliced butter on top of the apples before placing the top crust. Add your top crust and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.

Bake at 400 degrees for 45- 50 minutes.

Pin It

12 comments:

  1. That pie looks so delicious, I have never made a pie crust! Growing up my mom always did, this is on my list of to learn in the kitchen.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are some of my favorite photos you have ever taken! I just posted a recipe from my Grandma this past Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your stories of grandma's...so sweet. Pie crust totally freaks me out and I love to make pie so I always use Pilssbury ready made crust, but my poor GF Ashleigh doesn't get to eat any ;( so this might actually be one I will try. Looks pretty easy. Your pie looks gorgeous. Have a great Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed reading this Lissa. It's so lovely (and important) to have memories like this. I have very warm and special memories of my Auntie Glad who baked a lot. I have kept the recipe for her biscuit pastry - your memories have inspired me to dig it out and make an apple pie, so thank you. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man do I want some of this! Loving that towel too. You have spot on taste my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I miss those Thanksgivings too. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the pictures you captured of such a sweet memory....the pie looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I started using this flour a few months ago-it also makes amazing banana bread....A bit pricey but I found it at a natural store in Kent WA for a couple dollars less. I'm thankful you posted this because I have yet to try making pies with it. Your photos make my mouth water! Thanks for sharing all that you do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this post, and your pictures! The one of you with your grandparents is so special!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the story you shared with this recipe! So sweet, almost cried.
    I miss it too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I purchased this flour and love it. Another great source for gluten free baking is the book Cooking for Isaiah. In the book she has a recipe for an all purpose flour that you can make ahead of time and just scoop out of a large container when you need it. Her desserts are also very good and no one knows that they are gluten free. Love your blog! Vikki

    ReplyDelete