Tuesday, October 16, 2012

a cozy time of year for sweet potato, butternut squash soup





I'm right in the process of shooting for my final project for school. Last year we needed 12 prints at most. This quarter we must put together a book of at least 30 images. It should be something you're passionate about so I'm working on a "back to the table" theme. Family meals are incredibly important to me and I worry that it's losing it's importance in our busy lives. I don't always make elaborate meals. There are certainly days when I don't feel like cooking but we do try to eat together every night- even if it's just for grilled cheese sandwiches. I love to set a pretty table and light candles for our meals.

I have this new plan of diligence. I make a mental list each morning of the tasks that are priority in getting done. Yesterday it was cleaning up the vegetable garden, planting an herb garden, and cleaning the kids bathroom. Today I pulled weeds, worked on a devotion I do with the girls at our church for tonight, and washed my daughter's sheets. Instead of trying to clean the house from top to bottom at once I'm trying a new approach of addressing things as they are needed. I'm being incredibly disciplined at getting my chores done before I do fun things like read or play around on the computer etc. So far it's going rather well. Yesterday I was completely finished by 7:30pm and then just got to sit on the couch and research some things on the computer. It was great because there was no guilt since I finished my work first.

It was really stormy yesterday as I worked outside so I came in soaking wet and muddy. While I was out there I had the butternut squash and sweet potatoes roasting in the oven. I warmed myself by the stove as I prepared this soup. I LOVE it! I think it's SO COZY! My youngest wasn't a big fan so she had mac n cheese. :) I don't usually do that but I guess I was a pushover last night. :)

This also made for a yummy lunch of leftovers and my sister came by on her lunch break. I LOVE it when I have enough leftovers for a nice lunch with her! This recipe was found in Kinfolk Magazine volume five.

Ingredients:

1 medium butternut squash
3 1/2 lbs. sweet potatoes
3 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
1/2 c half and half
1/2 onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 T coriander
1 1/2 T curry powder
1 T chili powder
pancetta for garnish
salt and pepper to taste
soft goat cheese for garnish
chives for garnish (optional)

Preparation:


serves 6

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Cut squash in half, clean out the seeds, and place face down on foil lined baking sheet. Place whole sweet potatoes on the same sheet.

Roast until the squash and potatoes are soft, about 45 minutes. Once cool to the touch remove the skin and place the flesh in a large soup pot. Add stock and half and half. Stir until incorporated.

Add onion, garlic, coriander, curry, and chili powder. Bring to a simmer and maintain for 10-15 minutes, stirring often.

In a small sauté pan, cook pancetta over med-high heat until done. About 5 minutes.

Using a blender, puree until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Garnish with pancetta, chives, and goat cheese. Pin It

11 comments:

  1. Oh yummy, it looks really good Lissa! I love all the inspiration on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photography is beautiful! Where are you going to school?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just attend our local community college. The main thing is I'm just becoming quite comfortable with my camera after all of the schooling.

      Delete
  3. This sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lissa, roasting is an amazing thing, this looks amazing as always.

    Did you plant a fall/winter garden?

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. your project is going to be wonderful. i love the theme...couldn't be any more perfect for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks delicious Lissa

    - not to detract from the soup but I especially like the photo of the hydrangas - the colours are lovely and it just looks so serene - simple and perfect - well done to you.

    all your photos are lovely, I imagine you work quite hard to post only the best - Im so envious of your passion, well having found your passion and pursuing it

    have a lovely day xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh, i'd love to see your final project. i can't believe you're putting together 30 pages of beautiful images from your table.
    Also, I'd love to know more about the herb garden you're planting...now that it's colder.

    herb gardens totally freak me out. why?
    can you do herbs in the winter?

    could you do some posts on herb gardens? what you've learned? what you plant in the spring/summer vs. what you plant in the fall/winter?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello! This sweet potato butternut squash soup sounds great! Do you have suggestions of what I can replace the half & half with? because I am dairy free as well as gluten free. I really would love to make this soup! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry Jennifer but I've never had to cook dairy free so I don't know anything about it!

      Delete