Thursday, August 2, 2012

Build your own taco salad.



I've really enjoyed having my girls home this summer. We've had lots of fun together! I love the extra time spent with them because I find that I just LOVE their personalities. They've been extremely helpful around the house and especially love helping with the meal planning and prep work.

Yesterday we were running errands and discussing what we'd like to eat for dinner. I decided that Taco Salad with grilled chicken sounded great. As it turns out, all three of us had different ideas as to what would make the best tasting taco salad and that's where the build your own taco salad idea was born. Natalie wanted green onion, tomato, and black beans while Emma wanted olives and cheese. We chose to use cotija cheese which really makes this salad!





So without further ado here is the Build your own taco salad as done by my girls and I:

For the chicken:

2 or 3 organic chicken breasts
Approx. 2-3 T Williams Sonoma's Chili Lime Rub

Pound the chicken breasts until flat. Then rub 1 T of the chili lime rub all over each breast.

Grill over hot coals until cooked through.

For the salad:

1 head of your favorite lettuce, chopped
1 Can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 small can of black olives, drained
4 green onions, chopped
2/3 cup crumbled cotija cheese
1 small container of grape olives, cut in half
Handful of cilantro, chopped
1 lime, quartered
guacamole
LiteHouse Jalapeno Ranch dressing (or your favorite dressing)

Arrange on a large platter.

Each person can then dish up their own salad to their personal taste! :)

For the easiest guacamole you've ever made:

2 haas Avocados
Rojo's medium salsa to taste (it really tastes the best in guacamole!
garlic salt

mash up the avocados in a small bowl.
add a little bit of the salsa at a time with a sprinkling of garlic salt and combine.
Continue doing so, adding a little at a time until the guac is to your liking. YUM!



Pin It

17 comments:

  1. Lissa, it looks like you cooked just for me love it all! Have you tried the Cojita on grilled corn on the cob with lime you'll die. So happy you are have a great girl summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of that cheese. What a fun idea though as looks great. I love your top.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite salads and how fun to present it this way! My girls will love being able to pick their own choices and create it their own way. Thanks for the great idea and pretty pics to go along with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. must try the cheese & the rub! sounds & looks wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE LOVE LOVE that this dish was born from collaboration with your girls :) How lovely. Miss your blog posts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can I just say I love ya...in a non creepy way I promise :) I love all your pics and the other day I was looking through your instagram and you made me want to dress cute, clean my house, play with my family and make an awesome and beautiful dinner all at the same time?? I promise it isn't as weird as it sounds :)
    But my two wee ones are two and a half and ten months old and arent much help around the kitchen yet so I am not quite there, but just the same you inspired me LIssa! So glad you are enjoying your girls and YOUR LIFE!
    xo Lyss

    ReplyDelete
  7. going to by the rub this weekend.....
    girl, you've outdone yourself with this one...the pictures are beautiful.

    i spy an adorable bracelet on your arm...is it a white leather cuff? I have one that says "trust your story" that I wear every.single.day.

    tell me about yours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mouth is watering~this looks so delicious! Thank you for sharing Lissa!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are such a darling. One of my fave meals too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm adding this to my menu this week....tell me where to find cojita cheese...I haven't seen it at Trader Joes....thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey girlfriend! :) You can find it at the grocery store where the fancy cheeses are like brie, fresh mozzarella, etc. is. I hope you don't have any trouble finding it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. can't wait to try...looks super yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea Lissa ~ I love that you get to choose your own stuff and truly make it your own. Have a wonderful week-end! xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the build your own idea! My girls love to dress their own tacos and fajitas, but I never thought about it with salad. Enjoy the last bit of time with them before school starts! xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're doing great with your cooking and your photography! You make everything look just perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Une belle balade sut ton blog.

    Merci pour tes recettes.
    Bonjour de France.

    Manon

    ReplyDelete