Monday, July 2, 2012

perspective








Our local market opened last Saturday and it runs until the end of September. It's only about a 5 minute walk from the house and I enjoy stopping by early every Saturday morning to pick up fresh, local, and seasonal produce for our weekly meals. It's one of my favorite things about living here. We live in a small town where we can walk to dinner, the local movie theater, the market, or the beach. We are truly blessed. I'm reminded today to be grateful for where I live despite the weather. We enjoy a simple life. Over the years we've simplified our possessions and lifestyle choosing to keep only the things that enhance our lives and really appreciating the simple moments of life. Walking the market on Saturday morning holding the love of my life's hand while we chatted and I photographed the lovely produce and flowers was wonderful. He's my best friend and there's no one in the world I'd rather spend time with. We discuss our dreams and goals and encourage each other in ways to make those things happen. There's a quote by Thoreau which states "go confidently in the direction of your dreams." For us that dream will one day include a lifestyle in the sun. Until that day we will keep our possessions at a minimum and live on a budget that allows us to save a little towards our dream. I will finish school and we will live within our means. We will value our time with our girls. For me memories and moments are so much more valuable than possessions. Also, if you keep your possessions to a minimum it's easier to maintain a clean home because keeping track of all that stuff is quite time consuming. Recently I watched an episode of House Hunters International where a family sold everything in order to simplify their lives. They lived in a large house in Vegas and looked to be the epitome of the wealthy American. But this couple felt like they were living and working to maintain there stuff, they were ready for a change. They ended up buying a small home in the Caribbean with cash and after living in quite a large and fancy home were now settled into a small, simple home which only contained one bathroom. Her attitude was amazing! She simply said, "well at least I only have one bathroom to clean now!" I am definitely of the "less is more" mentality when it comes to life. I'm so inspired by those who've already achieved it while I still work towards it. But instead of impatiently waiting I want to live in the moment and enjoy each and every step. We are making memories. We're working towards dreams! And now I've got my perspective back.
Pin It

13 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous that you have a local market. Our little town has only a small grocery, and the produce is just shy of being outdated even before it hits the store.

    I've been trying to simplify, but my husband just fills in the holes with more stuff. We don't see eye to eye on this. But then he isn't the one that has to clean....

    I admire anyone who is following the idea of 'less is more'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful to have such a great local market within walking distance Lissa ~ sounds like a dream to me! I think when we stop and put things into perspective it can be eye opening to say the least. We have always lived within our means and there are days that I want to see it all but then the sentimental side kicks in and alas here I am amid my treasures. I am getting better ~ not quite up to Lissa standards but I am better! Have a wonderful 4th sweetie. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photos look so pretty, Lissa! I'm definitely a less is more kind of girl too...now if I could only get my husband to see the light :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exactly!! While I always enjoy your blog, this post spoke directly to my heart. My life is moving in this direction and every day is better and better! Christine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lissa, I love reading about your experience with this! My family is selling our North Seattle home to move to a similar neighborhood in Shoreline. I love the idea of living in a walkable community however its going to mean moving into a smaller place that might require a lot of work. Sound familiar? (I'm just praying hard for no rats!!)

    I'd love to hear how you manage to keep your possessions minimal. I'm great at purging (especially now that we are moving) but the stuff just keeps finding ways back into the house. My girls (5 & 8) really struggle with the idea of getting rid of stuff, even if they've outgrown it or no longer play with it, and my husband is similar in the "we might need it later" mentality.

    Your photographs are simply amazing! Might have to trek over this weekend (did you hear that the sun is supposed to come out ~ woot!!) for the hot, fresh donuts alone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i would love LOVE to have access to the beautiful world in which you dwell. so glad you truly appreciate it. it really is very special. i know you will reach your goals and dreams. God's hand is on you girlie. you and your man will see the sun. i know it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lissa, I think of you and your lifestyle often as I clean/purge. I keep thinking you did it...it's achievable. It's just time consuming, because I really do need a little extra $$, so I post on Ebay...and then there's my craft stuff from Etsy that I don't know where to put! Your photos are lovely...cute one of hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "memories and moments are so much more valuable than possessions." I SO identify with this sentiment, that's what I try to live by and teach my son every day... Thanks for this, lovely post...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am in the middle of reading this God inspired book called "7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess" about a journey to get the excess out of our lives that we can do without. Your post was on this same level, very inspiring. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this post! And your photos are gorgeous. I'm in Seattle (sort of) too, so I know how lovely and precious those sunny days are!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a great post. it is so important to be happy exactly where we are in life. It is about the journey right? I just heard about a book that is supposedly really good about simplifying.

    This is it.

    http://www.amazon.com/7-HB-HATMAKER-JEN/dp/1433672960

    It gets GREAT reviews and I plan to download it this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already have that book and have read the first chapter. I like what I'm reading so far!

      Delete
  12. I always love and appreciate when you share your heart and the dreams that God is building in you.

    You guys seem to be really understanding the biblical truth of storing up treasures in heaven.

    ReplyDelete