Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Celebrate the fourth with gluten free shortbread stars





I want to wish each of you a happy and safe Fourth of July! This is one of my favorite holidays! It's about honoring our country and being grateful for our independence. There's no gift giving involved or crazy schedules. It's just a lovely day to spend with family and friends. We usually start the day with our local parade then head to a dear friend's house for a good old fashioned 4th of July BBQ. Later in the evening our family congregates here and we watch our town's fireworks from the deck while we eat more goodies. It's relaxed and pressure free. No expectations, just hamburgers, hotdogs, watermelon, and treats!

I wanted to make this delicious shortbread to eat while we watch fireworks tomorrow night with some decaf coffee. These cookies are one of my favorite gluten free treats! The recipe can be found here.

And while you're waiting for cookies to bake and cool it's a great time to work on simplifying and cleaning like we talked about yesterday. I know I always feel so great when I'm finished and everything feels fresh and new. Sometimes it's nice to just clear the clutter off of the kitchen counters and organize the pantry. Might make for a nice start to summer don't you think?

Anyway, my brother and dad will be here shortly so that we can take our chairs downtown and save our spots for tomorrow's parade!

Wishing you a joyful forth filled with lots of laughter with those you love!



Pin It

17 comments:

  1. I'm absolutely not being snarky, but back to back posts from you! Make me so happy because I just love your images and even though we aren't gluten free you gave me a great idea for a treat for tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy fourth friend. praying your day is full and bright and sparkles in all the right ways. love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lissa!
    Your shortbread stars look so yummy. I would
    Like to use your recipe. I also am gluten free. Would
    Your recipe work if I used my flour? I use C4C by Williams
    Sonoma. It is a gluten free flour with the can't hum
    Gum already in it.
    Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never worked with that flour but I'm sure it'd be just fine. :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks Lissa. I a going to give it a try. Have a bessed day.

      Delete
  4. giosmama26@yahoo.comJuly 4, 2012 at 10:06 PM

    These look DELISH. I'd love to see the rest of that plate too. It looks beyond cute. Can you please share an image of it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those cookies look yummy and festive! The girls and I made star cookies last week and they didn't last too long on the plate! :) Your kitchen always inspires me to clean! Do you remember what color you used to paint your walls? We are looking to repaint and I have always loved your kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kerri! :) The paint was glass of milk by Martha Stewart at Home Depot. Have fun!

      Delete
  6. Hi Lissa, can't go wrong with shortbread yum, I so love that candle in a tin can that is genius!

    Happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to try those!! :) Happy Friday sweet thing! We have SUNSHINE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you had a wonderful 4th and that the sunshine has stuck around for you Lissa. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it all, you rock...such inspiration! when I want to get inspired I just love to look through your instagram you are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. love your low key plans for the fourth....we always love the 4th, too...such a great day to spend with family and friends!! I'm a fan of low key!!

    We went tubing down the chattahoochee river with dear friends....totally relaxing and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lissa, I went to Anthro today to check out Volcano and cannot thank you enough!!! It smells amazing. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So happy to have discovered your wonderful blog. My middle daughter was diagnosed with Celiac last Summer and it is a challenge to find things that she likes. She just had blood work done today and a second scope in August will determine how much her poor body has healed since diagnosis. Thanks for the inspiration and can't wait to go through all of your recipes!
    xoxo,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete