Monday, May 28, 2012

light and easy gluten free pasta salad



I love it when a meal is quick and easy, yet full of color and healthy too! This meal fits all of those categories and is a perfect ending to a warm summer's day! Truly, this meal takes only as much time to prepare as it does to boil the water and cook the pasta. You can get everything else ready to go while the pasta cooks. There is very little prep work involved! Can I get an amen! I mean who wants to be slaving over a hot stove in the summertime? Not me! I want to be outdoors enjoying the sunshine! We will save the "big" cooking for fall. In the previous post I served pesto eggs to my family for breakfast on Saturday morning and had quite a bit of pesto left in the fridge. That combined with some inspiration on instagram inspired this spring/ summer dish! This is another one of those "little a" recipes where you add a little a this and a little a that depending on how big or how small you want your salad to be. Everything is done to taste. No measuring involved! Yay!

This is the first recipe I made with ingredients from my garden this year. My arugula is ready to be harvested and the thyme is from my garden as well. Soon I will also have tomatoes and green beans! I also try to keep fresh lemons on hand at all times as they add so much flavor and freshness to cooking. Mix everything together minus the lemon and then drizzle a bit of fresh squeezed lemon onto each plate before serving! Do this to taste! Yummy!!

1 package of your favorite gluten free spiral noodles
Cherry tomatoes- halved
kalamata olives- pitted
feta- crumbled
green beans- cleaned and halved then blanched
arugula- cleaned and chopped into large pieces
fresh thyme- leaves slid off of stems
pesto
pepper
fresh squeezed lemon.

And I had to include this photo of my youngest with that dog! She is a magnet to dogs! I mean she's crazy for them. This sweet puppy was licking her all over her face. (gross!) and I caught Emma's reaction as he pulled away! So cute!


Here I am harvesting the arugula. You can also see the lettuce and radishes coming up. Behind me carrots will soon be popping through. On the trellis will be green beans and there are also snow peas in the corner you can't see. I LOVE this time of year!!!



Pin It

13 comments:

  1. Oh Lissa this looks scrumptious!
    I am all over pasta salads right now!
    Will try:)
    Enjoy your day!
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the garden pics! My favorite time too! My peas are all hooking on to their trellis line...so exciting! I must ask, where did you get your aviators? I want a pair with gold trim so bad but am having difficulty finding some :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great shot of your doughter & the puppy!

    I'm with you on the quick & easy meals & thi looks so good, I posted a polenta with "half of" everything left over in the fridge I love when it all comes together.

    Such a great garden you have there.

    Happy gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your garden beds and love that you garden in an apron. Too cute. I am always out in workout clothes and sure I look a mess.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That pasta looks yummy! Also, I LOVE the pic of Emma!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lissa,
    My neighbor is having a baby this summer and having two girls of mine, I know how hectic those first few weeks are so I have been fretting over what I can make as a dinner to bring over for her friends and family if they stop by and this is it! This dish looks light, easy and yummy! I will send it over with a fresh loaf of bread! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That pasta looks so delicious! I love pesto in pasta salads! I made a pesto pasta salad for a BBQ last summer that had cherry tomatoes and baby mozzarella in it. I loved it!

    Love your garden! Wish mine could be as big as yours, but I live in an apartment and have to settle for some small spots. Sigh.. A girl can dream, right? :)

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lissa, I have been reading your blog for some time now and love your style of clutter free decorating. I would like to know where you got your hutch with the open shelves. My husband is going to make me one similar. Could you give me the dimensions? Love your garden. I have several raised beds (green beans, okra, tomatoes, bell peppers) and one with herbs (basil, sage, oregano, chives, dill and thyme).

    ReplyDelete
  9. the hutch is from restoration hardware. You can find all of the dimensions on their website. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am going to make this for dinner tonight!!! Looks soooo good! Love you! I should use more exclamations points:-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. just found your blog, and I love pasta salads, and am trying to convert into gluten free for my son who has bowel issues associated w/autism. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just made this for dinner tonight, minus the green beans (we were also having grilled vegetables) and arugula (my daughter's not a fan) and it was DELICIOUS!!! Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just made this for dinner tonight and it was DELICIOUS!! Omitted the green beans as we were having grilled vegetables) and the arugula (my daughter's not a fan) and added cubed cucumber. This will be a repeat side dish over the summer. Thanks for sharing :).

    ReplyDelete