Tuesday, May 8, 2012

gluten free blueberry- rhubarb pie


My mom is a "cutter-outer" of articles. I dig that about her! She reads all papers; the local paper, the Seattle Times, etc. and if she sees an article that applies to one of her kids she cuts it out and saves it for us. I have articles on running equipment, recipes, gardening ideas, tomatoes, how to get rid of weeds, how to remove stains, etc. One Christmas she made us all "helpful tips" notebooks and taped various articles in them. She's the dear abby of our family. I love it though. I save every. single. article she brings me in that helpful tip book and it makes me smile so much because it's just so "mom" and always makes me think of her. We laugh at her every time she brings us another article but inside I really love it. On Sunday morning at church she pulled yet another recipe for me which she had cut from the paper. It is for a blueberry rhubarb pie. It looked SO amazing I already baked it on Monday! Thanks mom! I'm hoping she will stop by today for a piece! The filling is by Teeny Lamois and she can be found here. (my mom even remembered to cut out the link so that I could give credit where credit is due.) :) I just used my gluten free pie crust found here.

I LOVE to surprise my family! My husband walked in the door just in time to smell the pie coming out of the oven. I don't think much says "welcome home!" like warm smells coming from the kitchen. Well that and I big smooch and a smile that says "I'm so happy to see you!"

It never ceases to amaze me that you can turn something like a batch of rhubarb in the photo above into a beautiful pie. My pie doesn't look like it could be presented to a culinary school but it blessed those I love and really I'm just a stay at home mom who loves to cook and bake for my family. I promise you they're not worried about how "perfect" my pie appears.

This pie is super delicious! Here is the recipe. I feel like I could go on and on today but I have to leave for school in 6 minutes!!!

Blueberry Rhubarb pie filling:

1/4 c granulated sugar
1/4 c light brown sugar
1/4 t salt
1/4 c quick- cooking tapioca
3 c diced rhubarb
3 c blueberries
2 9" inch pie crusts

preheat oven to 400 degrees

combine sugars, salt, and tapioca in a large bowl. mix well. Add rhubarb and blueberries and toss until fruit is well coated.

Mound fruit mixture in piecrust. Top with second crust, trimming so that top crust hangs 1/2 inch beyond rim. Tuck edge of top crust under and crimp.

Bake for 45 minutes. Pin It

20 comments:

  1. YOU ARE AMAZING TO ME!

    your posts make me so happy and I can only imagine the blessing you're making for your family. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. once again, you have inspired me when I needed it.
    thank you my friend.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh i wish you lived across the street. i need a friend who bakes pies...CLOSE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that is the sweetest thing for your mom to do for you all. Love, Love, LOVE it!

    I was just telling my Dad that I needed to plant rhubarb so I could make this pie. We always have the strawberry version, but I know blueberries would be so yummy!

    You are being too hard on yourself about how it looks! Amazing is what I think... my mouth is watering thinking about those beautiful tart stalks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore anything blueberry. Yum. Makes me know it's officially spring. Just made a blueberry coffee cake this weekend that I found on Pinterest(it's on my recipes if you want it). I made it gluten free by substituting Pamela's pancake mix in place of the flour, salt, and baking soda. It was a very big hit! I double the recipe and baked in a brownie pan.

    Almost 40! Congrats

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never thought of putting rhubarb with blueberries ~ of course I always go for the strawberry/rhubarb as it is my #2 fav pie. Something to keep in mind as I love to try new things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to try this one! Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. P.S. I love the shot of Claire's garden and the truck! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Lissa!
    My husband is also on a gluten free diet! I think I found you before, when I didn't have my own blog. But now that I have my own blog, I will make sure I follow you!
    You have a lovely blog with great looking recipes!
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy!!!! :) I haven't ever used the quick cooking tapioca. Is it good?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh how I wish I had a slice of that beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. thanks for the shout out! happy baking.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I may try to make this lovely pie this weekend for my family....I feel like they KNOW you because so many of recipes are "lissa's." :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a sweet Mama you have! Your pie looks amazing -- you are a wizard with a lens!

    I am definetly adding this to the "must make" list. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. so funny..I used to clip articles too. Back when I was a young married girl:) That was before computers and of course Pinterest;)
    the pie looks lovely:) and sound yummy...
    happy Wednesday
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing. I always make strawberry rhubarb pie but am now thinking I should try blueberry rhubarb for something different. Especially as had planned to make lil individual pies or crips for mother's day brunch

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh yum! I love the idea of blueberries and rhubarb. Usually I do strawberry rhubarb everything, but I'm tempted to try blueberry rhubarb. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  18. How can I follow your blog? I have looked on your sidebar & don't see where to sign up for email or any other way.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Jeanine! You are absolutely right! I NEED to make it easier for people to follow my blog! Right now the only way to subscribe is through google reader but I am hoping to figure out how to add an email subscription in the very near future. :)

    ReplyDelete