Tuesday, April 17, 2012

taking pictures every day and gluten free lemon basil pasta


I LOVE photography! And I deeply desire to be good at it! Who am I kidding?? I want to be GREAT at it! It brings me JOY! Looking at photos in cookbooks or online, on travel blogs or food blogs does something to my senses! Some photos make me want to grab my carryon and hop on the very next plane. Others make me want to run to the grocery store for a fresh lemon or ripe tomato. Many times I've been inspired to try a restaurant, buy a new dress, or bake a delicious dessert. More than anything I want my photos to "get there." The more I learn in photography the more I realize I don't know but just like Dory in finding Nemo I just keep swimming, just keep swimming... One big thing I'm trying to do is to practice every day. I've posted this recipe before but wanted to repost it as I reshot the dish last night and am so happy with my growth through the school year.

I really love going to school! It's funny because I used to say that if there's one thing I'd never do is return to college, yet here I am. Oh, and here's a tip if any young girls are reading this blog post! You MUST know this! When I was younger all I wanted to be in the whole world was a mama. I didn't think school was important for me because all I wanted was to stay at home and raise my children so I never finished college. But not finishing college is not what I'm talking about right now. GRADES are what I'm talking about. I used to skip college back when I was 19 just to grab a latte or to visit my boyfriend and I got my first D in my whole life! Well here's the situation. That D stayed with me. Because I never got my degree that D is counted in my accumulative GPA even though I haven't been in school for 20 years! So whether you want to believe it or not your grades are important and you really should do your very best.

Oh and since I'm just chatting away do you know what else I've learned in school that is so important?? Learning someone's name. When I first started school I felt like this old lady walking around campus that didn't quite fit in. I remember the first time I heard someone yell "hey Lissa," and I turned and they were talking to ME! It felt so good to be known. I'm trying harder than ever now to learn peoples names and USE them.

Well anyway, I feel like I'm just rambling along and sharing a little bit of my schooling journey with you. I suppose that's enough for today. But just for fun here's the original link of the photo I took of this pasta dish. I'm hoping you agree that the current photo is much more tantalizing.

This really is a delicious dish! One of my family's favorites! It's adapted from Donna Hay's Fast Fresh Simple

Lemon, chicken, and basil pasta

1 pkg gluten free spaghetti noodles (my current favorite are by bionature)
4 T lemon juice
4 T olive oil
2/3 c finely grated parmesan cheese
2 chicken breasts that have been cooked in olive oil, lemon pepper, garlic, and minced onion; shredded
1/2 c shredded basil leaves
sea salt and cracked black pepper

Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water according to package directions.
Drain and return to the warm pan.

While the pasta is cooking, place the juice, oil, and parmesan in a bowl and whisk to combine.

Add to the pasta with the chicken, basil, salt, and pepper. Toss to combine.

Serve immediately, serves 4 Pin It

19 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such an inspiration!
    I feel so much of the same way as you... Wanting to be a mama SO bad!
    But now--I am thoroughly enjoying seeing where my God dream will take me.

    And I can tell you are too..it just overflows into your pictures and posts
    Much love
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did finish college, but I barely scraped by because I was studying to do something I didn't want to study (chemistry). My grades were not very good because I had lots of health issues and didn't try my best. Now that I'm considering going back to school to get my masters in nutrition science and become a registered dietitian, those grades are really gonna hurt my chances at getting into the program, and this is something I really want.

    It's like what my grandma told me, hindsight is always 20/20!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! That's crazy about the D. I wouldn't have thought it'd still stick with you this long. I was just lecturing Jay last night about the importance of focusing on school versus boys. We'll see if she listens! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Hey Lissa" great bowl of pasta you made there, you are doing awesome wishing you the best in your desire.

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  6. beaautiful post today, lissa. would you please describe how you cook the chicken so that it doesn't dry out...i am definitely doing something wrong. thank you for all of your information and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful post today, lissa. would you please describe how you cook your chicken so that it doesn't dry out .... i am definitely doing something wrong. thank you for all of your inspiration - you are a true blessing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Holly, All I do is placed the chopped up chicken into the hot oil in the pan and basically "stir friy" it up. Maybe you're cooking it too long. Once the chicken looks about done I cut one in half with my spatula and if it's white all the way through I take the chicken off the heat. Hope this helps! good luck!

      Delete
    2. Good advice...I think I have my heat too low. Sorry for mucking things up with annoying double post..I'm so dumb!

      Delete
  8. Pictue is Gorgeous!!! Great Job Lissa!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This post could not have come at a better time. I, like you, just wanted to be wife and mother. College was not even on my radar. I didn't even really know how to dream! Fast forward 26 years and now well into my 40's I have decided it is time to start doing something I have wanted to do for a very long time. That is to get formal training for baking. I have been praying about it the last couple of days and you have given the push to go ahead and register to obtain my Baking Certificate from our local college! First up Pasty Craft I. So excited and also so very nervous at the same time! Thank so much for the inspiration:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so envious that you are going back to school for something you love. I keep thinking it would be fun to take a few courses at our community college on photography but haven't mustered up the guts yet (or the free time). You are inspirational and your photos are getting better and better

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks delicious! Your photos always inspire me to cook up something. I am in college too, taking classes to keep learning. Always important in my book. I have found so many adults taking classes for the same reason and they come from every field -engineers, M.D.'s and teachers-I could go on and on but I would say to anyone thinking about going back-go it's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Lissa!

    I'm not gluten-free nor do I cook much. I also know nothing about photography. Having said that I STILL come back to your blog time and again for the pictures and stories. I could eat today's picture right off my computer screen. It looks SO good. I also love how you decorate and your tidy style and your Christian world-view. Thanks for sharing a great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This picture is so much better, but honestly, when you took the first one, I thought it was awesome, too. :)

    I'm wondering if you're ever going to start telling US how to take better pictures?

    possibility?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hear you with the who needs college when all I want to be is a mommy! I did the exact same thing. Great advice for anyone reading your post. Your new photo is amazing! Makes me want to buy lemons ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love what you said about the name thing. I totally agree and have tried to be more intentional about it myself. It's especially comforting to be called by name when you're in a new place (which I will be soon!). Makes me think of one of my favorite verses: "I have called you by name; you are mine." (Isaiah 43:1)

    xo,
    Linsey

    ReplyDelete
  16. I found the recipe! Perfect I am making this Friday night for my mom's birthday as she loves pasta and I wanted something fresher than out of a can

    ReplyDelete