Sunday, April 29, 2012

A market reshoot


Do you know that I almost didn't take documentary photography. It was never in the plan. Let me rephrase. It was never in MY plan. But I just believe with all my heart that God has something up his sleeve for me. I can't explain it. I just know. I suppose that's what we call faith. I've spent many days agonizing over this blog, fretting over the quality of my photography, trying to think of everything I can think of to make "it" happen. And the funny thing is I have NO IDEA what "it" even is. All I know is that I would watch people take flight through blogging and be put in magazines, be paid for their work, etc, etc, etc and I would feel, well let's just put it out there; I would feel small. Ugh! That crazy discontentment. It can sneak it's ugly little head in anywhere. But here's the deal. When I shoot a beautiful photograph of something I'm crazy about like food, or farmers markets, or gardens, I feel giddy. Like explosive joy. And I love growing. When I look back at photos from a year ago I can't believe what I've learned. I know that people want me to share tips on this blog but you know what?? Do you know where I'm learning the most?? Those painful critiques. You know, the ones that made me question if I was on the right path and wondering if I should just quit. UGH!! I mean seriously, I would never just let my kids just quit at something just because it was hard or that they had to learn to wait patiently. But there is this ugly thing called pride. It makes me care what others think. It makes me have a difficult time with criticism. It takes away my patience and stunts my growth. I have to keep that baby in check all the time! In fact, criticism is why you're seeing these market photos on my blog today. My last critique from my professor was this, "I encourage you to reshoot this assignment." But I've learned to take criticism and I've found that if I will listen to every word and take these things to heart I will grow as a photographer. And truly, the more I grow, the more I enjoy! Oh I could've given up. I could've quit when I didn't grow as fast I would've liked. That would've been easy. But God gave me a verse. He reminded me to fix my eyes on HIM because HE's the author and FINISHER of my faith. He has a plan for me, an amazing plan! I can't even dream up what he has in store for me. He KNOWS! HE KNOWS what is best for me, my husband, and my children. And it's not going to look anything like my plan. It's going to be better! But I just have to keep going, keep trusting. I never thought I would fall so head over heals in love with documentary photography but it's got me, hook... line... and sinker! I LOVE meeting these people! It's CRAZY HARD to walk up to someone and hear there story and then capture them in a photograph BUT people are amazing! For example, the lady in the picture holding the eggs is a retired RN who loves the whole farm to table idea. She has 38 chickens if I remember right and a gazillion turkeys which she is getting ready to sell. She sells all sorts of beautiful colors of eggs simply because it makes washing the eggs more interesting for her. And then she sells at the markets because she loves the interaction with the people. She gave up her nursing career to pursue her passion and people like that inspire me. I want to meet more of these people and capture them on film. People inspire me and capturing these moments on film is filling me with a passions I've never known. Pin It

19 comments:

  1. I am hearing you and your pics are becoming the most drool worthy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hebrews 12:2 - "Looking to Jesus the author and finisher of our FAITH; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe you are going to go on one of the Compassion International blogger trips to document the role experience! Good luck, whatever you do :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome to be following a dream that appears as if it is still unclear! Really love following your journey + your photos and recipes! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. yay for passions being filled. i need something to be passionate about right now. so happy for you girlie. i think you are the bomb!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that you didn't give up and so fun to hear your stories such as the egg lady. Great pics as always

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your photos AND your story are lovely. I'm so freaking proud of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love documentary photography, too!
    everybody...every image has a story behind it.
    oh, I love that you are learning and growing and being stretched beyond your comfort zone.

    I never get tired of the stories behind photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, your words, your recipes and now your photos truly bring joy to my day. What an amazing gift you've found in yourself! Well done mama!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just lovely, keep striving for it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lissa, your photos are my favorite in blogland. Every photo you post just has a fresh, simple feel to it. I have no doubt that you will accomplish "it"...whatever "it" turns out to be. I am so with you on the wanting to quit when things get tough...that's the reason I'm still in college after 5 years. But you're right, God has a plan for you (me too!) and we have to stick with it, especially when it's tough!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You Lissa are a total inspiration. Not only of your photography but of everything you do. You do it with passion and love. You use the gifts God gave you and that is what it is all about. Keeping your eyes on Him, using the many gifts He has given you and giving thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i wish i could reach thru this laptop and just squeeze you right now. You are such a gift to my spirit today. I needed to hear everything you're saying. Much thanks- xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Sweetie you are already doing something, Gods work! You reach your peeps everyday and uplift them with your blog just by being who you are.I have decided that that is the most important thing any of us could do.
    Now for your photos they are coming right along I must say,Very nice! I am a foodie myself so I do enjoy the market and food photos.I love people so I enjoy photos of the peeps too! ~Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your photos are lovely. Absolutely stunning. You are capturing the essence of the moment. Keep your eyes on Him - He has great things in store for you.

    Blessings to you, because you are a blessing to us, your readers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can feel your energy and passion right through the screen. Love it! I, too, love documenting life through photography. (As you know!) When I was at Round Top antiquing and photographing, my neighbor/friend thought I was crazy for being so interested in people's stories...how they were, where they came from, how long they've been collecting, etc. At the end of the day, those stories and photographs were more valuable to me than anything I purchased. All that to say...I get you, girl!

    xo,
    Linsey

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Lissa,
    Your blog is beautiful and your words are inspiring! Don't take all the critiques in school personally. Having a bachelors in art, we were critiquing each other all of the time. Usually we would say one positive and one negitive. Its just how the art program worked. Shake it off, if possible, then think about it later. They are only helping you in the long run! All the best! Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fabulous photos. Glad you were led in this direction.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't know how I haven't seen your blog before, but I am just in love with it! Your writing really resonates with me, and your photos are just beautiful. Even if you see problems, they just look gorgeous to me. :) Just added you to my blogroll so I can keep reading along.

    ReplyDelete