Sunday, April 22, 2012

local markets


As time goes on I get more and more excited about shopping at local markets, preparing foods from my own garden, and going more and more organic. I know it's expensive but the more we eat organically the better we seem to feel. There are some things about it that makes life a bit trickier, like eating out. The healthier we eat at home the fewer and fewer restaurants my stomach can handle without getting sick. Yesterday I met my sweet Kimberly at a great market down in the University District of Seattle. We are very similar when it comes to a bright blue sky and fresh produce and farm stands. We become giddy and mention to each other all morning, "isn't the fabulous?" I am truly, truly blessed with the caliber of friendship that I've found through blogging. I've gotten to meet some wonderful friends with similar interests and thankfully, one of them is local! :) Anyway, back to the market! Yesterday I met a wonderful man who owns a gluten free stand which will be at the University Market all summer long. I purchased some delicious bread, some raspberry shortbread bars, and some fabulous spinach pasta which I will be serving this evening to friends. They instructed me to cook it with some leeks, shallots, and lemon juice in a bit of olive oil, easy as that! And how excited am I to serve a meal to my friends this evening made from a local market. It will be served along side a roasted chicken which I will stuff with rosemary, lemon, and garlic. That will make my house smell delicious and welcoming! I LOVE it when guests come in and smell something that makes their mouths water in anticipation of a home cooked meal! For dessert there will be fresh strawberries as they are in season and a little bit of ice cream. Another treat I found was ginger beer. It's like root beer but made with fresh ginger and in my opinion is quite refreshing.

We are entering into the perfect season for outdoor entertaining with fresh foods from our local markets and backyards! I hope you get a chance to enjoy these things all spring, summer, and fall long as I believe it adds a richness to living and joy to cooking, shopping, and entertaining. And by all means grab someone you love, pick up a cup of coffee or tea enjoy it together!
Pin It

13 comments:

  1. i love reading your blog and am working on becoming more organic and growing my own goods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog and your enthusiasm for life and the simple beauty that surrounds us. Your photos are beautiful and I am wondering what camera you use. I need to purchase a new camera and I am tossing the idea around of a film camera. Have you used a film camera for your class?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just have a rebel so far with a 50mm lens. I did use a 35mm camera in class but it was not my cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have lilacs AND strawberries already ~ no fair!!! The market does look fabulous and to be able to spend the morning with Kim ~ I am jealous! Have a wonderful week Lissa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. we're moving more and more toward organic, too.
    not 100% but as much as possible.
    I'm also looking forward to helping my parents in their garden this summer...fresh foods/local foods are the best!

    Your pictures are beautiful and crystal clear, Lissa.....

    I'd love to know which camera/lens and settings you mostly use.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reading your post has me so excited to shop the produce markets and farm stands! I have to wait a couple more months before they open where I live.
    I am so glad you got to spend a lovely day with a blogging friend! I have made a blogger friend here in Illinois and she is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It all sounds so healthy and wonderful Lissa!
    Love your flea market photos too!
    Enjoy and I hope your meal with friends is fabulous (I just know it will be!)

    Deborah xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a great time - and you know that with the weather improving we can do it every weekend if we want!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE the outdoor markets too. Darling photos girly!! Oh and I found a tutorial for the Pin it button! Yeeehaw! (Kevin and Amanda... life savers. LOL) Happy Monday sweet girl!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with you I have been going organic and whole for the last 3 years my jump start was label reading, now I can control the ingredients, like our parents and grand parents did planting a garden and buying local as you did and doing it with a girlfriend makes if extra fun!

    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Could not LOVE the market photo's anymore!! My sis lives in the Capitol Hill area (think the nice part, near St. Joe's Catholic School...not the sketchy part...) and my favorite thing to do is walk with her to local markets when I go visit. And, agreed - love this time of year where the bounty of the sun allows for fresh fruits and veggies that we've grown. I've got my peas, carrots, tomatos, onions, strawberries, raspberries, peppers and potatoes planted...I'm still dragging my feet on my herb portion of the garden because I want to plant only those things I REALLY love to use...basil? dill? cilantro? What's something you find yourself continually reaching for in your herb garden?

    ReplyDelete
  12. There are farmers markets somewhere in the area almost every day of the week here. I love that about Southern California.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hear you loud and clear on eating out after eating so well at home. Our local farmer's market is just beginning to swing into action. Makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete