Sunday, March 25, 2012

a little spring organization


We enjoyed a beautiful, sunshine filled weekend here in the Pacific Northwest. It's a funny thing, being a Seattle girl, when the sun comes out everything stops and we all come out of our homes like little moles, squinting and wondering what that shiny thing in the sky is. There is something about the first day that really feels like spring that inspires me to get up early and do a bit of purging and organizing before the sun warms the front porch and I can then spend the afternoon in the sun reading a book. It's at this time of year that I tend to get rid of old and worn out clothes, donate dishes that haven't been used in years, and update my style a little bit. Right now my house could not be more simple. Last year I went a little crazy with the spring purge and absolutely got rid of everything that I did not love with my whole heart. In hind site I'm not sure this was a splendid idea. My house is a bit bare (possibly barren) at the moment and I really didn't take into account exactly how much it would cost to replace the donated items. One thing is for certain, it's so easy to keep my house tidy because I just don't own much of anything. But I certainly would never recommend a purge quite as large as the one I did last year.

That being said, I'm different than most people in the fact that I'm attracted to small space living. I think I could be quite happy in a little rambler just decorated with the things I love and filled to the brim with people I adore. There used to be a show on HGTV that was my favorite! It was called small space, big style and I was addicted to that show! I loved watching the ingenious organization ideas and the clever decorating. I don't know if you received the new catalogs from Restoration Hardware recently but there is one on small spaces and I've poured over it so much I just may have memorized it! I do like editing down to just the most important items in the home that are useful and compliment each other.

While the world seems to be getting busier and busier all around us I think that my husband and I have really figured out how to slow down and enjoy each other, our girls, family and friends. We cook more at home, spend our mornings on the couch together, Bibles and coffee in hand, and enjoy quiet evenings. I think there is something to be said about a simple lifestyle with simple organization and decor.

Pin It

20 comments:

  1. So glad you were able to take it all in and enjoy the sunshine this weekend, Your house is the perfect size...not too big, not too small...just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your style and the clean lines of your home. especially love any and all photos of your home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO true {the mole comment} -- we too felt like that in Vancouver, what a beautiful day(s) it was! We hit the beach and stuck our feet in the sand and our toes in the surf = bliss!

    I LOVE the simplistic style and nature of your home...we're in a new-to-us home and I'm having trouble putting things out as I don't want it to looked cluttered, however barren is a different thing and barren is not what yours look like!

    It looks coordinated and lovely --- I'm all about using layers of the same color and you achieve that wonderfully!

    XoXo*S

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right! I completely agree with you and yes that Restoration Catalog came to visit me too and I actually gave out a little woohoo when I saw it in my mailbox! Happy new week to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always love reading your posts and seeing pictures of you home!! Thanks for sharing!

    nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely! I love how organized everything is. We have so much of the same style. I really enjoy visiting you blog. I have the same basket! LOL. Great taste! Have a great day
    lulu

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so right! There is an ease to small(er) space living that I think I will miss when we up-size. I am not quite as good at purging as you are, though. My husband thinks I am merciless in giving things away/donating them, but since I read your blog, I know what *serious* purging looks like. ;-) He has no idea how serious it can get!

    By the way, speaking of adding more clutter to my house, where oh where did you find that marvelous big, round basket on your table?????

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it at the restoration hardware outlet. It's been awhile. good luck finding one!

      Delete
    2. Dang it! No RH outlet near me. :(

      Thanks anyway!

      Delete
  8. Sometimes it is the little things Lissa that matter the most ~ wish I could do a big purge here but my heartstrings get involved and I need to hold on to things that have been passed down to us. I have gotten better over the years but we still have way too much stuff! Happy Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lissa... Reading your blog is like a breath of fresh air.... I love looking at the photos of your home and what I'm always drawn to is the "uncluttered" look. Everything is so crisp and fresh looking. We also enjoyed a beautiful weekend here in Colorado. We all got out and enjoyed the beautiful weather after a little bit of spring cleaning inside. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hear ya babe... I'm a lover of the small space. THough I do tend to feel kind of aware of how tiny my space is sometimes... it's not a problem until I get lots of peeps with KIDS in it and then I feel the squeeze. But 1500 sq feet is a mansion compared to SO many, so I have no room to ever complain and wish for more. So blessed in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE IT! I think i'm with you too. Although I could use a wee bit more space - I do like the coziness of small space living. And girl, you do it well! I WILL SEE IT SOON....2012 is my year. YESSSSSSSSS. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, how I wish you could come purge my house! I believe I own Toys R Us at the moment. The sunshine is gorgeous here, and I hope you get to soak up the warmth it's bringing in!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your cleaning and organization, but my favorite part of this post is what you said about learning how to live slow despite the world getting busier. My family and I have learned the same (in the midst of the 4th largest city no less!) and wouldn't trade our slower pace for anything in the world!
    xo,
    Linsey

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been known to do the same thing...purge to the point of having nothing left. :)

    I can't wait to move into our new home, but honestly, I think I'm more excited about packing up and moving again bc it will give me a chance to, once again, evaluate what we have and what we need to keep and what we can get rid of.....

    I break out in hives and start to twitch when I even think about that show, HOARDERS.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I admire the ability to purge...it's just not in me. I have to absolutely force myself to get rid of things. As a Mennonite, we are taught to live simply but to also make use of our resources. So while I'm trying to live simply by sorting through things to get rid of, I look at something that's less than perfect or sentimental and I think, "I could make something out of that someday." You know, I'm trying to be resourceful! Please continue to offer more purging inspiration! :-) I need it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so glad you got sun it rained all weekend in Nor Cal! I'm with you in the purge expeially with the clothes.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. i feel like you wrote this post straight from my heart. i too am attracted to small space living. i couldn't be happier in my 1,700 sq ft home in which each room is thoroughly used. i may have told you before, but i went overboard with a purge awhile back. asking myself the question "do you love it or use it?" now 3 years later i still do not have living room drapes. but it lifted a burden off of me that i didn't even realize was there & i need to do it again. thanks for sharing your lovely home. your beautiful pictures & clean simple style are an inspiration to me. thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I fully agree with you about simple decor and organization. I love the look of your kitchen! I am also drawn to small space living and the challenge of only keeping what is necessary. Although I may be over it soon as my family of six is currently living in a small studio apartment above my in-laws barn.

    ReplyDelete