Friday, March 2, 2012

beet salad


I found a fun and cute cookbook/ gardening book the other day. If you enjoy growing your own vegetables and then preparing them for your family you may find you enjoy Grow Cook Eat by Willi Galloway. That's where this recipe was found. If you make it make sure you don't have kitchen towels around that you don't want stained. I may just be a messy cook but that beet juice was getting everywhere. Now I think this salad is super yummy but I'm not gonna lie... in my family I'm the only one. Apparently I can't sell my family on beets no matter how pretty they are to cook. If you do like beets then you'll love this salad. The dressing is to die for!

Thanks so much for your generous and sweet comments on my last post! It's been a wonderful week! I hope you have a fabulous weekend with your friends and family!


Oven Roasted Beets with Winter Citrus Vinaigrette

3 large beets, washed and trimmed
1/2 c freshly squeezed blood orange juice (from about 3 med. blood oranges)
1/4 c freshly squeezed grapefruit juice (from about 1 med. grapefruit)
2 T freshly squeezed lemon juice (from about 1 small lemon)
1 T honey
1 T champagne vinegar
6 T extra-virgin olive oil
salt
freshly ground pepper
1 t blood orange zest
1/2 t lemon zest
1 t chopped fresh thyme, for garnish
I added a small amount of gluten free blue cheese. It tastes great with the beets!

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Wrap the beets individually in aluminum foil. Place them seam side up on rimmed baking sheet and roast until fork tender, 45-60 minutes, depending on size of beets. Carefully open the packets, draining off any juice inside. When the beets are cool enough to handle, remove the skins and discard; chop the beets into 1/2 inch chunks.

Combine the blood orange, grapefruit, and lemon juices in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer gently until reduced to 1/4 c. Remove from the heat and whisk in the honey and vinegar. Add the oil in a slow, steady stream, whizzing until emulsified. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Toss the beets with the blood orange and lemon zests and 1/4 c of the vinaigrette; marinate for at least 20 minutes. Garnish with the thyme before serving. Pin It

13 comments:

  1. Hi Lissa, your photos look amazing! I have never ever cooked beets! Kinda weird huh? I love beets though. I've only bought canned ones. You've inspired me to try making this though. It looks really delicious. Hope things are going better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Saturday Lissa, I was at Whole Foods yesterday and bought a bunch of beets I have not even put them on my place from the salad bar but they looked so pretty a wall of many colored beets. I planned on roasting them some how.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for posting this!!! I have been looking for a really good beet salad! You are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to try this recipe! I love beets, but am the only one in my family as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beets are wonderful, yum! If it helps I cut the ends off then peel with a sharp peeler under water then dice and roast, almost zero mess. I have friend who will only eat the yellow/orange beets maybe you can sneak them to your family that way...Can't wait to try your dressing

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love to know what you served with it.....I would love it, and I would also be the lone ranger in my family that loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE beets. This looks delicious!!! Can't wait to try it! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Lissa, I LOVE LOVE LOVE beets!!! So I will definetly make this recipe. It sounds so yummy.

    I hope you are doing well these days. I have missed you..my blogging has been a little slower over the past few months due to some life stuff...but I'm coming back around. Your blog here is so beautiful just like it's author!!

    Thanks for the recipe!
    ♥Lee Ann

    ReplyDelete
  9. What's not to love? ;) I hope to make and serve this tonight. It appears you've added some....cheese? Fresh feta or goat's cheese, perhaps? Love goat's cheese paired with beets. Mouthwatering photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That book looks great! Love your photos and I love beets so this is a must try

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know that I could sell my family on it either. Looks great though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lissa, I also love beets roasted with olive oil and sea salt...they are zoo amazing. My kids won't touch them, but my husband will. I tried unsuccessfully to grow them last year.

    I am sooooo excited about your chance meeting at the farmer's market...someone was certainly leading you by the hand that morning. Follow your intuition Lissa...it is leading you down the right path. Your pictures ar fabulous. Can I come by the farmer's market next time?

    ReplyDelete
  13. YUM! RIght up my alley...the whole thing...from roasted beets to growing your own food. I keep wanting to grow my own beets. Someday!

    xo,
    Linsey

    ReplyDelete