Thursday, February 2, 2012

our family's favorite gluten free carrot cake



Happy Birthday! Or at least it was happy birthday to my husband this week and you know what? He requests this gluten free carrot cake every single year and he doesn't have a problem with gluten. He chooses this cake because it's his favorite and also because we can all enjoy it together. I've shared this recipe before on my old blog but because it's so delicious I am putting it here as well. When I was first diagnosed with celiac 17 years ago the gluten free choices were just TERRIBLE! When I found a recipe that actually tasted delicious I clung to it. This is one of those recipes and we've been making it now for 17 years! It goes together so easily! When you bake it make sure to coat your cake pans well to keep the cake from sticking.

2 c thai rice flour
2 c sugar
1 t baking soda
2 t cinnamon
1 t salt
1 1/4 c oil
4 eggs- beaten
3 c grated carrots

In a medium bowl place rice flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salit in a bowl. I always like to use a whisk to combine the ingredients together. Set aside.

In the bowl of your mixer place the oil, eggs, and carrots- mix well. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture into the oil mixture. Stir until combined.

Pour into 2 9" pans which have been greased.

Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.

Allow to cool completely before removing from cake pans and frosting.

********

Cream Cheese Frosting

1 8oz brick of cream cheese
1 cube unsalted butter
dash of vanilla
1 box of powdered sugar

Cream together cream cheese and butter. Add the vanilla and slowly incorporate powdered sugar until thoroughly combined.

Frost your cake!

I hope your family enjoys this as much as mine does!

And I just want to mention what Neal requested for his birthday dinner. It starts with a little story. I met Tracy through blogging. She and I exchanged emails, and became close through sharing our heartaches at the time and then praying for each other. Tracy is a GEM of a girl who HAPPENS to live about 5 minutes away from my little brother down in California so I've had the extreme privilege of getting together with her family every time I'm down there. I love her daughter and husband as well. They're just FUN and real people! Her husband and mine are both quite funny and I enjoy watching their banter! Anyway, I showed Neal this post with wonderful recipes for ribs, polenta, and roasted vegetables. He requested it ALL! I wanted to take tons of pictures and link up to Tracy's blog but life has been so busy I didn't get a single picture taken. However, I will post the link to the recipes and encourage you to try them! The ribs are so tender you could cut them with a plastic fork! In the recipe for the ribs I just omitted the flour. I didn't even substitute anything. The ribs are amazing! Pin It

24 comments:

  1. happy birthday to your sweetheart!
    that cake sounds really good & better yet i would only need to purchase one ingredient. thanks lissa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my all time favs as well! Just wish I had you to make it for my B-day too! LOl ~Cheers Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband LOVES carrot cake, but I've never made one. I think being gluten free has made me hate baking all the more, but you make it sound so do-able. I love that! Thanks for sharing this again!

    xoxo,
    Linsey

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE carrot cake too!
    I pinned it for a later date. I just know someday I will have
    time to cook:)
    Ribs make me think of summer and I can't wait!
    You heart sounds so light and carefree right now..
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's nothing better then birthday cake and this one is georgous, seriously your photo's are unreal, so talented you are Missy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cake looks delicious, and the meal sounds fabulous. Happy birthday to hubs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not a big fan of carrot cake but I'm sure yours is delish!! Everything you make looks so yummy and your photos are magazine worthy my friend. I've actually grown to like the taste of all things gluten free as well.
    Happy Friday,
    T

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carrot cake is one of my favs ever Lissa and I remember you posting it before. Happy Birthday to Neal ~ I am heading over to check out that rib recipe ~ they just may make it on this week-ends menu. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. If this is the same thing as the cupcakes I'm sold. Makes a little tear pop out of my eye thinking about it. Happy belated d-day neal. I'm gonna miss you miss Lissa.

    ReplyDelete
  10. And did you know that this is my little boy's FAVORITE cake too? He asked me if I could make it into cake pops for his birthday this year in March... we'll see...

    ReplyDelete
  11. DYING over that photo. Those pink candles, streamers, cutting board. UHHH. love it.

    LOVED SEEING YOU! I'm still on such a high. YOU MAKE ME SO HAPPY! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Lissa. Your blog is just lovely. :) Your photography makes me very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love you.

    Carrot cake is what my mom used to make me for my birthday and I haven't had it since going gluten-free over a year ago. Thanks also for putting the link to the Thai rice flour right on the recipe. That makes it helpful since we are somewhat in the boonies and our stores don't carry that.

    Jenn @ Spejory

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks delicious...happily following your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Lissa, I love your blog, and I want to say that I made this Carrot cakeTODAY and it is so DELICIOUS! We don't have any issue with glutten, so I made with whole wheat and brown sugar, but I want to try with Thai rice flour as well! Thank for sharing such a great recipe, my 3 bos loved it!
    XOXO
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm picturing you working hard in school and being the best mama you can be! Time well spent! Just wanted to pop in and say hi!
    xo,
    Linsey

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Lissa, I have been a fan of yours for awhile and just recently been diagnosed as coeliac so now I am a true stalker of your blog devouring all your recipes;) I really want to make this carrot cake, could I just clarify what type of oil do you use and what is baking soda (is it bicarb soda or baking powder?)I live in Australia so am not too clear on the term.....Thanks Lissa. xClaire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When USers say baking soda they mean our bicarb of soda :) always gets me too! No idea what they call baking powder though...

      Delete
  18. It's regular baking soda (like arm and hammer if you have that) and not baking powder and the oil is just vegetable oil. It's quite easy to make. good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Lissa, tried and tested and my Bookclub ladies loved it (as did my family, who got the leftovers)... None of them could believe I hadn't used "real" flour!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Can I use rice flour instead of thai rice flour... oh all the flours are killing me!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Megan. This recipe will work with rice flour. It is just more gritty than thai rice flour.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete