Tuesday, January 17, 2012

the warm smell of Jamie's roasted chicken on a cold, snowy day is magic!


My family has been all cozy and hunkered down in our home due to some on and off snow we've had falling the last couple of days. I've found this to be an opportune time to prepare a warm and hearty meal for the girls and my husband after a long, hard day in the snow. Knowing that this big snow storm was coming inspired me to do some good old fashioned meal planning. I really wish I'd do this more often. It truly makes life much simpler! Yesterday I made homemade gluten free pizzas (I will be posting that recipe in the near future, including a margherita pizza!) Today we enjoyed roasted chicken. The house smells so warm and cozy with all of the garlic and olive oil that's been cooking around here. Tomorrow we have enough leftovers to fill a very hungry family and then I even have another meal planned with all of the groceries for it in the fridge. I LOVE it when I meal plan. I means less trips to the grocery store and the big question of "what should I make for dinner" is not looming over my head all day. This is something I want to make more of a priority in my life. We even seem to eat healthier this way as well and tend to eat out less saving money and calories!




For about a year now I've enjoyed reading Jamie Oliver's food magazine called Jamie. The photos are warm and tempting and there are also some interesting articles on travel and the foods of different regions. I purchase it on my Ipad. It's super easy to follow his recipes! The cooking/ temperature times can use a bit of tweaking though. Nothing you can't handle. When I was younger I was literally petrified to make a roast chicken. I truly believed that only "fancy people" cooked this way. And really it's no different than throwing a pot roast into the oven. It truly is that simple. For this recipe you just chunk up your veggies for roasting, quickly slide the rosemary leaves off of the stem, throw it all together and voila! Quite a delicious and healthy meal indeed! And you know as I'm learning to cook more and more I've found that if you slow cook chicken or pot roast with a bit of rosemary the flavor in your meat and roasted vegetables is extraordinary! It's really worth a go! And really, while we're on the subject of Jamie Olivier I have to say that I truly admire his passion for teaching us to eat heather and especially for the work he does with schools!

If you've never roasted a chicken before I hope you will try it this winter! I think you will be pleased as punch with how easy it really is to do and your house will smell amazing! Not only that but your family will be thrilled- this I know from experience!

Let me know how it turns out!



Sunshine Roast Chicken

adapted from Jamie Oliver's JAMIE magazine's warm and cozy issue

3 sweet potatoes, each cut into 3
2 corn cobs, each cut into 3
3 small onions, cut into wedges
1 garlic bulb, halved horizontally
olive oil
3 rosemary sprigs, leaves picked
1 whole chicken (I used a 5 lb. chicken for this recipe)
3 lemons, halved
1 bunch of coriander, leaves picked (cilantro)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Throw all vegetables and the garlic in a large roasting pan and mix with a good drizzle of olive oil, a generous pinch of salt and pepper and the rosemary leaves.

Sit the chicken on top and pour over another good drizzle of olive oil. Rub it into the skin and season generously with salt and pepper. Push 1 halved lemon into the cavity of the chicken and pop the others in the tin.

Roast in the over for 1 hour and 15 minutes to an hour and a half. WATCH CLOSELY so that you don't overcook but look for the chicken to be golden and the juices run clear win the thigh is pierced at the thickest part. After 60 minutes baste the chicken and squeeze over the juice of 1 roasted lemon half, which will be beautifully jammy by now. Shake the vegetables about then pop the tray back in the oven for the remainder of cooking time so that the skin can get sticky and sweet.

Once cooked remove the chicken from the oven and leave to rest for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, make some coriander oil by smashing the coriander leaves with a small pinch of salt in a mortar and pestle until you have a paste. Add a glug of olive oil to loosen the paste. Rub over the roasted chicken and let all the juices mingle in the bottom of the roasting pan. Pin It

22 comments:

  1. That is one beautiful chicken. Oscar needs a haircut. He's just the cutest thing ever. Watching the news...can't believe you are getting a winter storm. Hold on tight friend. Stay tucked in warm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delic! I'm always scared of a whole chicken but I really should give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good Lissa, have made a different "Jamie" roast chicken before but will give this a go next time - as it is named " Sunshine Roast Chicken" I think it is very apt to try it here in our summer with a big green salad - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm, yummy . . . . smells so good!

    Love the photo of your little yorkie too! I had two a long time ago and I have delightful memories of them still.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks fabulous! I have been wanting to make a roasted chicken in the oven for awhile. I always plan my meals ahead. That's how I make my grocery list. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use Jamie Oliver's recipes a lot because they always turn out well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sharing this recipe with my hubby! He loves to make roasted chicken, and I LOVE to come home from work and smell it! :)

    I agree about Jaime, his work with schools is awesome - I wish money did not interfer with how our kids get to eat in school. It's so sad. Many of the children in our school are below poverty level, and while I appreciate what the school is doing to make sure they get breakfast, the choices are not the best for their health. Anyway, off my soapbox!!

    Beautiful photo too! I'll have to go in search of Jamie's magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What size chicken did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used a 5 lb chicken for this recipe.

      Delete
  9. Oscar is adorable!!! The chicken looks delish. :). Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum, love a roasted chicken. You know somehow I've missed the Jamie magazine, now I'm gong to go find it on my iPad, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yum Lissa this is right up my alley and even if we don't have snow we're supposed to have a rainy day here on Saturday...this would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jamie love, love, love him so cute, remember he started out as the Naked Chef, I just bought his new book Meals in Minutes, don't you just love his lingo like tip it into a bowl and wiz it up, anyway back to cooking I made his Mac n Cheese with cauliflower and a chicken curry the other night, both were easy peasy!

    Have a great snow day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. reading this i'm thinking how blessed your daughters are to grow up in your home with you as their mother. you are teaching them the lost art of making a house a home. your little doggy picture is the cutest ~ love how white the snow is coming across. have a wonderfully-cozy snow day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think you just read this on my blog, but Jamie Oliver is my husband's greatest inspiration. I should get him the magazine or app for his birthday next month. Do you prefer the iPad app to the printed magazine?

    xo,
    Linsey

    ReplyDelete
  15. okay girl....wanna see some pictures of your girls playing in the snow!

    I got so cold when I saw your yorkie standing in the snow!!!

    yummy recipe....pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have a chicken roasting in the oven and just cleaned and cooked a huge "mess" of kale!
    Your dog is too cute.
    Lovely blog here.
    Inspiring!
    pve

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mmmmm....looks yummy! I never take time to cook big chickens and things like that. I get lazy and just buy them at Costco! LOL Plus it's kind of intimidating for some reason which is stupid since I can cook a mean turkey and that's a much bigger bird. Cute doggy picture Lissa!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Lissa...I am roasting a chicken today. Snow is on the way (already started), and you have motivated me. We went shopping last night and stocked up with yummy, healthy food for the chilly, snowy weekend! Thanks for motivating me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. How's the weather? It's hot and muggy here, but I'm still in a wintery comfort food mood. Up tonight is butternut squash soup! Happy Sunday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Could I use chicken breast for this recipe instead?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly don't know how it would work with the cook time. I'm sure you could try it and just watch it. :)

      Delete