Tuesday, October 18, 2011

a bit of fall in the kitchen



It's that time of year! We warm our homes with cozy throws, candles are lit at twilight to cast a warm glow, and we buy pumpkins and gourds to fill our homes will fall's natural beauty. I've been dreaming of baking pies and having hearty, warm stews cooking in the oven. This year instead of my usual halloween decor I've opted for a Thanksgiving approach. I have so much to be thankful for this year so I'm choosing the warmth and beauty of God's creation over my usual skeletons and spiders.



I'm sure by looking at these photos you can figure out what I'll be doing tomorrow. :) I hoping to bake an apple pie for my family. I will be leaving on a small getaway and I have a cozy night planned with a warm meal dined by candlelight and ending with apple pie. I thought it would be a nice way to spend the evening with my family before I go! It's been a crazy week but I've worked really hard to stay on schedule so that I can make this evening happen!



Here's a sampling of a few of my favorite items for fall baking:



1. In the previous post on pantry items I recommended the kitchenaid mixer as it is an invaluable tool in a gluten free kitchen.

2. This straight rolling pin is my favorite for evenly rolling out dough.

3. Emile Henry makes the greatest pie dish.

4. These adorable dishcloth napkins are currently available at Pottery Barn

And if you're still dying for some spooky Halloween decor click here to see how I decorated last year.

Happy Nesting! Pin It

15 comments:

  1. Lissa, your kitchen looks so nice...as always. I love your thought of decorating for fall using what nature has provided versus store bought spookiness - even though I am still sad to not see your Halloween fabulousness this year! How sweet of you to plan such a nice evening for your family! You are such a lovely, thoughtful soul!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I have an apple cake in the oven right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pie dish!
    Have fun on your getaway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the stacked pumpkins what a clever idea! I just made several apple dishes for a dinner party - so perfect for fall. I still have apples left though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So homey and inviting. Still loving your photography. My kitchenaid mixer has been invaluable. It makes being in the kitchen more fun when we have great products, doesn't it? ;) I plan to bake an apple cake this weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that pie dish so thanks for sharing. I baked your pb M&M's the other day and the entire family loves them. I've declared them my fav. cookie. Hope you have a great getaway this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sweet!!! Are you going somewhere FUN???

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to say....I feel so happy & peaceful when I visit you! I just love the clean-simple-fresh-warm-inviting-elegant feeling you convey through your blog!!!

    I enjoy your NEW take on Halloween too...btw

    Have FUN! I'm guessing you're visiting that friend in Arizona, perhaps! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love simple pumkins and flowers sprinkled around the house, I do the samething. Have a wonderful getaway!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I definitely like to decorate with the fall harvest feel much more than the spooky stuff. I'm making apple sauce today. What a great week for apples. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lissa-I haven't been to your home page in a little while(I usually just read your posts through google reader). I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your blog redesign. You have inspired me to tweak mine now!

    Heather @ GreenWay Home

    ReplyDelete
  12. Perfect fall touches and treats for hour family!!! Have great getaway!
    xo,
    Lulu

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's been awhile and I was thinking about you.
    I wanted to come stare at your GORGEOUS photography and admire where you started in the blogging world when I "met" you and where you are now.
    I needed some inspiration so I stopped by.
    Blessings, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have a really lovely blog and I wish my home was as clutter free and organized as yours! I invite you to join our gluten free community if you wish - http://simplygluten-free.com/gluten-free-global-community

    ReplyDelete
  15. My husband just brought home a huge Emile Henry pie dish...all white. He is in construction and is supervising some renovation at the Sur La Table in Palo Alto, Ca. They like him so much that they give him free stuff! He brought home some white individual pot pie dishes and kitchen soaps and lotions. When he did work for another one of their shops in summer he brought home white platters, bowls, pizza boards, etc. You would just love it all!

    ReplyDelete