Sunday, September 18, 2011

warming up your home for fall



The weather really turned around here this week. I'm sitting here in a thick, chunky sweater and boots. Last Sunday I was wearing a sundress at the beach! It's crazy how fast things can turn. My computer has been on the fritz so I've been living without it for days while my husband wiped it clean and has been slowly reinstalling everything. I've tried to be patient! It feels like such a treat to be able to sit hear on the sofa for a minute and poke around online. Not having a computer left me time to prepare my home for fall. I've been wanting to add texture in the form of baskets, throws, and pillows. I also had time to try a few new recipes. I have so much to share with you since I've been off of my computer! I hope you enjoy this extra long post while we catch up!

While visiting my favorite spot in Southern California this summer, Huntington Beach, we went to a cute restaurant for lunch right along the bike path. My husband ordered a sandwich which he raved about so I took a picture of the menu description of it and tried to recreate a gluten free version of it this weekend. The sandwich called for roasted turkey, brie, arugula, and tomato, apricot chutney. I found a recipe for the chutney online which was delicious on the sandwiches.

This recipe was found on Eating Well and is super fast and easy to make.

Apricot- Tomato Chutney

1 14oz can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
1/4 c chopped, dried apricots
1 T lemon juice
1/8 t crushed red pepper

Place tomatoes, apricots, lemon juice, and crushed pepper in a skillet on med-high heat and stir occasionally until the sauce thickens into a chutney. Let cool and spread on your bread before layering on the other ingredients.




And just for fun I thought I'd show you a few of my favorite finds for fall and where to find them.

1. and 2. are from Studio Patro which is my FAVORITE place for kitchen tea towels, aprons, and market bags

3. the pasta bowls from brookfarm general store are beautiful!

4. is a great smelling candle for fall found at Anthropologie

5. and 6. are two great finds from Pottery Barn. The basket is from the beach comber collection.

Then just add a large bouquet of sunflowers from your local farmer's market and your home is all cozied up for fall!

Pretty soon we'll have a crackling fire blazing! I love that smell AND that sound!!

Happy fall!
Pin It

19 comments:

  1. oooh those do look yummy. i loved number one. that little towel was cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you seem to be a home maker extraordinare.

    I have just decided I am going to loose 10 kilos, so will be checking in for more of your fabulous healthy recipes.

    I love your dinging room especially the styled shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That all looks amazing, but here in Nor Cal it is 80 degrees and will be so for the next week. I was at the farmers market this morning and bought some sunflowers they are so happy and hardy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lissa,
    What do you find to be the best substitute for flour when baking? and have you tried the King Arthur Gluten Free Flour? This is new for me and I'm having trouble with the taste.
    Thanks,Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your pretty kitchen table and those gorgeous sunflowers! That sandwich looks totally delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful photography
    beautiful food
    love that orange color..
    beautiful heart
    what a gift it was to have a small break from
    the computer from the looks of your post;)
    happy Monday:)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. you have been BUSY cooking for your family.

    I have to tell you, I think it's very special and wonderful that you made a special effort to remake the sandwich that your husband loved.

    very special and very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sandwich looks amazing! And I love the tea towels! Please share more yummy soup recipes, I love hearty soups in fall!! :) Marta

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mary~ I have never tried that flour. I've tried many flours over the years but my favorite is the thai rice flour that you can purchase at asian supermarkets or at amazon.com. Also there is no aftertaste with this flour.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a busy girl you have been. It all looks so good. I love the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute!!! I want to see more house photos with all your cute fall things! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Apricot anything makes me SO happy! Definitely going to find that candle, and try the sandwich!!

    Fall is my favorite time of year, and I'm planning on some cozy-ing up the house this week too. You totally inspired me again!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lissa ~ I noticed you used this bread in a previous post. What brand is it? I haven't found any GF breads that have that artisan look to it. Thanks for this sandwich post ~ my husband will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Becky~ This is the mulit grain gluten free bread by Udi. I really like it a lot! It's the best in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm having a hard time picking just 1 or 2 things to comment on...

    That sandwich sounds & looks so good!

    I LOVE, L.O.V.E your dining room! On my monitor it comes across as the 'perfect' shade of brownish-grey. Something I've been looking for, for my living room for much to long! Oh & I really like your shelf idea too!

    Happy Fall!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Lissa! I'll look for the thai rice flour.
    Can I just plan to substitute cup for cup or, I've noticed you usually have it in combination with with something else, ie- the almond meal.
    For instance for dredging beef or chicken would I need something else with it?
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  17. when it comes to the beef or chicken I would just try substituting cup for cup. Or you may need to use a little cornstarch. It's really just a game of trial and error when it comes to substituting in recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  18. We had crazy cool fall weather last week! Now it's back to 80's summer like weather.

    ReplyDelete