Wednesday, September 14, 2011

That PW knows what she's talking about!



Okay girls! First of all I just have to say that you've really arrived when someone writes "PW" and most of you will know right away that I'm referring to the Pioneer Woman! I mean is that just amazing or what! So here's a secret and I feel like I need to write this really small- I've never really read the Pioneer Woman's blog... GASP!!! I mean I've visited her a few times but I never became a full time reader. But let me tell you what! That girl knows her stuff cuz Oh... MY....WORD... this was the BEST pot roast I've ever made in my life!! I decided to call my mom and dad at the last minute to invite them to dinner and my dad said- in his words, "this is excellent!" CHA-CHING! Cuz he's grading me against my grandma's cookin' and I got an excellent! That's one gold star for me!

Anyways... back on track...

I went and visited the LEMONADE MAKIN MAMA. Do you read her blog? Cuz you SHOULD! She is a DOLL and a really good person (I KNOW HER!) and a fabulously talented blogger!!! I knew that she was making her very first pot roast on Monday so I thought I'd better pay her a visit since I too was makin pot roast this week. SHE'S the one that directed me to PW!!! So I thought to myself, "what the hay... I'm gonna try and make my pot roast a little different this time." And boy did that pay off in a big way!




The pioneer woman recommends a chuck roast. She says it's her favorite cut. For the first time in my life I braised it in some hot olive oil with sea salt and pepper smeared all over it. I really think this makes a difference. Before I used to take about 5 minutes to put my roast together and this extra step really only added 10 minutes. I also browned the veggies a little just like PW and LMM said to do.

Then I placed the roast, onion, and carrots back into the pot. I also decided to add potatoes to mine which is different than theirs. I used red and yellow potatoes. THEN- drum roll please- I added the NEW ingredients that I never thought to add before... I picked 2 good sized sprigs of rosemary and a chunk of thyme from the herb garden and placed them on top of the meat! This really added a LOT of flavor! Especially to the carrots! I never knew carrots could taste so good! The other secret ingredient was red wine!! YUM!!! I just poured about 3/4 c into the pot and then about another 1 1/2 c of beef broth. You can totally eyeball it! I also threw in about 3 large cloves of garlic and the final flavor was to die for! I baked mine, covered, for 4 hours at 325 degrees. The roast was so tender you could flake it apart with your fork!



For more detailed instructions and some killer photos visit HERE and HERE Pin It

17 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I love Ree. She just about does it all, doesn't she? Plus, I think she's pretty funny. Your photos look so good, Lissa :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome Lissa. Do you read the magazine "where women cook" - she was on the front cover of the Jan. issue. Also last week she was on a cooking show and I caught a few minutes of it. Her family is exactly as I pictured from her blog - adorable. Loving your blog with all the excellent photo and cooking. Just thought about you yesterday when I wore my Keep it Simple apron - good job Lissa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I plan to make a roast Sunday. I may just have to do it your...I mean PW's way. ;) Again, gorgeous photography! Keep up the good work! Still loving your blog!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. okay now i almost HAVE to make this pot roast...both you AND sasha talked about it. i've got her cookbook guess i need to dust it off;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE PW!! Have for years (somehow found her before her blog was popular and have been hooked every since). I want her life. Your roast looks quite yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The link for your friend doesn't work?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks so good! I love pot roast, especially this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pot roasts are so easy. As a ranch girl that was raised on our own beef, I've had lots and this one is one of the most moist I've had. I like your additions - we always have potatoes with pot roast.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pot roast so reminds me of my mom, my dad was a butcher and we had post roast from the oven once a week, I love the juices from the bottom of the pan, I would even put it on my salad as dressing!

    Sweet memories!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmmmmmm.... I want to make it again!!! I bought a two pack so I'm making it again next weekend and you are so RIGHT, it's the best pot roast EVER. Your photos are rocking girly! (As always of course, you talented thing, you!)

    Mwah!
    Sash

    ReplyDelete
  11. she DOES know what she's talking about.....
    can you believe that I don't own her cookbook?

    I have about 4 cookbooks that I want!!!! With this move, it's low on the list.....eventually, it'll happen!

    Happy Weekend~
    Glad you got to hang with Sasha...what fun you two must have together!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. With cold weather coming I will be making this very soon. Love the tea towel. Can you share where you got it ?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just jumped over from Lemonade Making Mama and was scrolling through your recipes (which look lovely...and simple) but was wondering why you prefer Thai Rice Flour? Is there a difference from the rice flour I may get at the local bulk food shop. Just wondering b/c my husband has Crohn's and I'm trying to overhaul our diets. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am absolutely dying to try this...I am drooling just looking at pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I use the thai rice flour because it's very finely milled and makes for a much less grainy texture.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just made your delicious roast recipe! Perfect dinner for a fall evening. It was divine! My family thanks you. My boys gobbled it right down!
    Wendy-Michigan

    ReplyDelete
  17. she is my favorite. and this looks SO good!!!! mmmm.

    ReplyDelete