Thursday, August 18, 2011

a light and easy lunch



With fall quickly approaching we've been quite busy finishing up some projects around the house. As much as I don't want summer to end I find my mind beginning to think about the beginning of the school year. I have made a big decision and have registered to return to school in the fall. It will be great to have some healthy dishes in the fridge that I can come home and eat for lunch. I got this delicious recipe from a dear friend about a year ago. It's quite simple to make and if you prepare it on a Sunday afternoon you can have several lunches ready to enjoy.

Quinoa Taboule

2 c. water
1 c. quinoa
1 pinch of salt
1/4 c olive oil
1/2 t salt
1/4 c lemon juice
3 tomatoes, diced
1 cucumber, diced
2 carrots, grated
1 bunch green onions, diced
1 c fresh parsley, chopped

In a saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add quinoa and a pinch of salt. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Allow to cool to room temperature; fluff with a fork.

Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine olive oil, sea salt, lemon juice, tomatoes, cucumber, green onions, carrots, and parsley. Stir in cooled quinoa. Pin It

17 comments:

  1. I'm first...YIPPEE!!! You blow my mind. That's all I gotta say;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks really good!
    I'd love to know what (field of study) you're going back to school for, but hesitate to ask you One More Question. So, that said have a Great day!
    And God Bless you in your exciting & slightly nerve wracking (I'm sure) New adventure!

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  4. This recipe looks so good Lissa. Congrats on becoming a student. Please share what you plan to study :) and may I add a word of encouragement? You will be amazing. I went back to school when my kids were younger and the most important thing to remember is to be organized. It seems like you already have plans for that. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that is just plain ol wonderful!! You will do brilliantly!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you Lissa, wishing you the very best in your studies! I have tried red quinoa it was pretty good this looks pretty great as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You go girl! Will you be going back to study/pursue anything specific? So proud of you. You'll do great! Wish I could meet you for lunch!

    xo,
    Linsey

    PS - Found a local cupcake shop that has the best ever gluten free chocolate cupcakes! Such a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck on your new adventure. Will you still have time to blog?

    ReplyDelete
  9. How exciting! You will do great! Can't wait to hear how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats to you on your decision to return to school. I know that you will do just great because everything you seem to set your mind to, you accomplish 100%. What a great role model you are for your girls. They are so lucky to have you for a mom.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks so good! I am just so, so glad I found your blog - it's already inspiring me with meal ideas! So thank you! Oh and I love the post you did on the beach picnic - it looked fun! Have a fab day xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks so good! One of my favorite things is the quinoa salad at Whole Foods. I will be making this for sure. :) What are you going to be studying in school? I am so happy for you...it's great for us mommies to continue making investments in ourselves. It gets easier to do so as the kiddos get older, too. I am seriously considering taking some courses on design. My background is in clinical psych, so it will be quite a departure for me. Not sure when I will do it. I admire you!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks delicious Lissa, and definitely one I will be sure to try when Summer arrives in Australia. Thanks for your gorgeous comment on my blog, I hope you are having a wonderful weekend. Sasha x

    http://onewhiteapron.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete