Thursday, August 4, 2011

cold tangerines



My friend recommended this book to me and I feel as though, at times, I could've written it. Like pieces of it are my story. The writer shares her passion for celebrating life's everyday moments. We spend so much time beating ourselves up with the lies that we are not enough. We push and we strive trying to be better at this or maybe we'll find our success at that. We're searching and running and budgeting and pushing and trying harder than we ever have and at the end of the day is still that nagging sense of "I am not enough." We're told to save more, work harder, aim higher and in the end don't you just find it all a bit exhausting?



Today as I sat on the deck and read I could hear the girls giggling underneath me. They pulled out the slip'n'slide and were running as fast as their little legs would take them to throw themselves onto a 19 dollar piece of plastic covered in water and feel the elation of sliding down the hill as fast as they could go. They're not worried about the budget or the weather or the news. They're just living every single minute of their little lives to the fullest!



Yesterday I walked outside to find them playing house, complete with laundry drying on the line, having the time of their lives. In fact, they head outside as soon as they're able and I don't see them inside the house again until dinner. Neighbor girls come over (all ages) and they run and bike and play four square.

Over the years our family has been through some pretty extreme times and through it all we've decided that we are going to have some fun! Maybe we're not saving quite as much as Dave Ramsey tells us to but we are having the time of our lives and making some great memories while we're at it.

I want to leave you with a quote from Shanuna Nieguist the author of Cold Tangerines

"There will be a day when our family as we know it will no longer exist, and I want to know in that moment that I wasn't at the office or doing the dishes when I could have been walking on the dock with my dad, when I could have been drinking tea and eating ginger cookies on the porch with my mom. I don't want to be building my bank account or my abs or my dream home when I could be dancing with Aaron at the beach bar on New Years Eve, when I could be making crackers and cheese for dinner because we were on the boat till way after the shops closed, sunburnt and sandy and windblown, and happier there and together than anywhere else with anyone else."

And that about sums it up for me! I want to enjoy each and every moment that I have with the people I love. I didn't walk the dock with my dad today but he did meet me and the girls at Chipotle for lunch and when Neal arrived home from work I sure greeted him with the biggest smile and lingered out on the warm, sunny deck with him long after dinner was over and the girls had returned to the playhouse listening to the aspects of his day and making plans for a possible road trip to Disneyland in the future. Now as I finish typing this my puppy is cuddled up against my thigh, the sun is just about to set over the water, the girls will soon be put to bed, and then neal and I will snuggle on the couch. THAT is success! And don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise! Pin It

25 comments:

  1. So well said....we are big Dave Ramsey fans too but time is so short with our kids...we want to spend every minute with them. There's balance to be found with our budget too. And such a sweet picture of your girls playing house.
    xo Jana

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice post lissa. love it. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautifully worded post, Lissa. I think about the magic that is lost going from a child to an adult and how most people's view of the world changes. It's kind of sad really. For me, I just try to live in the moment :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a thought to put into my head before bed... love this so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my favorite post. Ever. from you. And it's crazy amazing timing - j and I had this almost exact same conversation tonight on our date night. I love being your friend. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  6. The book sounds lovely! Must chechk if it is possible to buy it in Norway! Love everything you wrote today, you added the little extra to my day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Is all I can say. I think I need to read that book. I have a hard time just enjoying the moment and not working towardscthe next big goal so thank you for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rose D., Frenchtown, NJ USAAugust 5, 2011 at 6:14 AM

    Oh, what an absolutely beautiful post!!!! Thanks for getting me to slow down and enjoy what's truly important! Best regards...~rose

    ReplyDelete
  9. I keep looking at that book. I think I will read it now after your post! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful post Lissa - a sweet reminder about our priorities in life as mothers :-).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thankful for a mother who modeled "celebrating life one day at a time". I so want to follow in her footsteps. Your post brought tears to my eyes. You have so got it "RIGHT". Life is not about loving things and using people, but loving people and using things.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There is so much wisdom in this post Lissa. Sometimes, we adults find it difficult to balance being responsible with enjoying what life has to offer. You remind me so much of myself. I, too, love to keep my home neat, tidy, and organized at all times. It is something that I'm constantly doing and my husband often tells me I'm a bit obsessed. Thankfully, he reminds me that I need to "stop and smell the roses" before life passes me by. I think you are an amazing example of living life with a good balance!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I need this book. What a priceless outlook...what precious moments to be captured.

    ReplyDelete
  14. you could have written that book...along with the appropriate tangerine on the front cover. too funny! love the message in this post friend. gooooood!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay! Love this book and appreciate the post. She has written a book called Bittersweet and has another book coming out called Bread & Wine that focuses more (not surprisingly!) on food and dinner parties.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ahhh! Carpe Diem! Thanks for sharing Lissa!

    Have a great weekend!

    XOXO,
    Kerri

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is such a beautiful post. It's all very true. We all need to be reminded of this. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good Morning Lissa!
    Love. Love. Love. This book seems to exactly the inspiration I need. Sometimes it's so easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle and lose sight. Almost one year ago, we embarked on living a simpler life. Can't wait to read the book!
    Also, I have a quick question. With the school year approaching, my new planner in hand, I truly want to focus much of my attention on giving my family the home I "see" for us. I am always drawn to how well you "keep house" and make nourishing your family a priority. I LOVE it! When you have a chance, I'd be oh-so-appreciative if you could share your "home-keeping skills" ;o) (i.e. cleaning schedule you keep for your house, if you have a grocery shopping day, how you go about planning meals, etc). I'm longing for an organized, clutter-free, simple home that nourishes my family every day. Lissa--you just do it so well.
    thanks a bunch!
    jen xo

    jen.m.lewis@live.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. That was beautiful Lissa. I couldn't agree with you more. Time spent with our loved ones is truly the most important thing we can do while we're here. P.S. Dave Ramsey has some great ideas....but I'll never agree with him totally. Life is waaaaay too short!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful post, Lissa! Ironically, the author of this book went to the same college as I did, and I have been recommended the book before. I haven't read it yet, though, so this is the push I needed! As always, I enjoy hearing your thoughts...and I'm glad some nice weather has come your way! :)

    ~Amy in CA (sorry, it will only let me sign in as "anonymous" -- don't know why!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This may be my favorite post of yours. So good! And that book cover looks just like you! Amen to all that you wrote!

    Xo,
    Linsey

    ReplyDelete
  22. let's be rebels shall we? Let's start a grassroots movement in taking the family back! I SO agree with you here Lissa! Enjoy your days to the fullest. There is nothing compared to being together...with your family. That is what is important..I mean - God first then..you know;)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely heartfelt post! It definitely helps to put things back in perspective once in a while and really assess where your priorities are. Love it!

    ReplyDelete