Tuesday, May 17, 2011

a little spring/ summer pasta



We are just beginning to dab our toes into my favorite time of year! My garden is just starting to bloom providing all sorts of bouquets for my table from now until September. The herb garden is beginning to look lush and I am just starting to see the fruits of our labor with the vegetable garden.

it was a beautiful, sunny day full of blue skies! Those that know me know that I don't take a moment of this for granted! I LOVE it! I have a goal this week! Every time I post something I cook I want to use the herbs from my herb garden. They're planted in an old wash bin right outside the kitchen. They're quite simple to grow. They just need a lot of sun and a bit of water. I plan on cooking from my herb garden all summer. You could easily plant one on your deck or patio using any container you have. Even an inexpensive terra cotta pot would work fine. This is what I'm growing this year if you'd like to join me.

basil
oregano
thyme
rosemary
dill
parsley
cilantro

I encourage you to do this! Fresh herbs do wonders for your cooking and you could have it completely planted with one trip to home depot this Saturday! Then we can cook together all summer.




Today's dish is light and EASY! and OH MY WORD does it make your house smell AMAZING! It's adapted from Gwyneth Paltrow's new cookbook but this is my version.

penne puttanesca

serves 4

course salt
1 bag gluten free penne pasta noodles
2 T extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves of garlic peeled and thinly sliced
pinch of red chile flakes (be generous)
1 heaping tsp capers- rinsed
1/2 c olives (I just bought what looked good at the olive bar- ones with lots of herbs on them)
1 12oz can organic tomato sauce
freshly ground pepper to taste
1/4 c torn fresh parsley (from the garden)

bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil and salt generously. Drop in the gf penne pasta. Cook according to package directions.

Meanwhile, put the olive oil in a med. skillet over med. heat and add the garlic and chile flakes. Cook for about 1 minute, watch heat to make sure you don't burn the garlic. Add the capers and olives and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the tomato sauce and black pepper. Turn the heat to high and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and let simmer for 10 minutes.

Add drained pasta to the skillet of sauce and stir to coat.

Scatter the parsley throughout the pasta. Add pepper to serve. We also added a bit of grated parmesan cheese.

YUM!!! This is a definite make again.




Today I got the trellises up for my sugar peas and finished planting the strawberries! The lettuce is coming along nicely. Hopefully I can plant the tomatoes on June 1st. I can't wait until we start making meals from the garden!

And another organization tip. (I'm having a big garage sale on Saturday and am purging like crazy- therefore all of the organization ideas.)

Today I realized that my vintage loaf pans also work well at holding my small utensils when not in use. It fits in the drawer perfectly and looks great too!

Hope you're enjoying this week as much as I am!


Pin It

15 comments:

  1. Lissa, what a great garden you're going to have, I need some sunshine we have had winter weather for the past two weeks nothing but spring showers. Love the flatware

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I wish I could go to you're garage sale! I'm sure you will have lots of amazing goodies! :) Love the pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think a herb garden sounds fun...maybe I'll find myself at home depot this weekend. :) Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your photos are so good, am going to try that pasta. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That pasta sounds delicious! I love that your herb garden is already so full! Mine still has a long way to go but I am excited. Love using fresh herbs for meals and in ice tea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. it looks delicious lissa- i am making something similar- penne rosa but i am excited to try this recipe too- bot do i love italian.

    also i love the bread pan idea- such a smart girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to have to keep my eye out for vintage loaf pans. They look so much better than the plastic pieces I'm using now. For years I kept an antique muffin pan by the front door to toss my keys in, but now my toddler will take them and hide them so I have to keep them up high. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lissa, what kind of GF pasta do you use? Did I miss that somewhere? I cannot get Sam to try noodles after the bad ones we had early on! ugh.

    These are beautiful photos...and someday I want to have a garden! :) Someday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the new blog! I made your black beans and rice recipe and it was amazing! Keep doing what you do girly! Thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so jealous of your green thumb, I just planted basil, cilantro, rosemary, italian parsley and lavender but my cilantro already died! Any helpful gardening tips would be MUCH appreciated!
    PS. love the new blog, I'm a foodie too. Although I don't need to eat gluten free, I'm loving all your recipes.

    Thanks for sharing!!
    xoxo
    B

    ReplyDelete
  11. look at you gardening! love those pics. now where's my dirty girl spoon or fork or whatever it was...ha! that needed thrown in the pic;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have me inspired to do a herb garden. I've already looked into a container :) I love flowers in the house and having them from the garden is even better. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I adore your photos! Please write a book!!

    ReplyDelete