Wednesday, April 20, 2011

delicious gluten free shortbread




A few years ago a friend of mine brought these adorable shortbread stars to our forth of july party. I was so disappointed that I couldn't try one because everyone was raving about them. I asked her for the recipe so that I could convert it. I use a tiny cookie cutter because I think tiny cookies are so cute! You can eat one in a single bite! Of course you may use any cookie cutter shape you like. The baking time I have posted here is for the small stars. The thing that works for this shortbread without it being grainy is making that extra stop at the asian supermarket to purchase the finely grained rice flour from Thailand. I usually half the recipe.

4 cups rice flour
1 cup powdered sugar
1/4-1 tsp vanilla (according to your personal taste)
1 pound unsalted butter (just remember you only eat 1 or 2 little cookies at a time!)


Blend ALL the above ingredients together and chill for a couple of hours to firm up the dough. Once the dough is chilled, roll it out and cut it into your favorite cookie shape. Bake at 300 degrees for 20 minutes.

Once the cookies have COMPLETELY cooled dip each cookie in a small, shallow bowl of powdered sugar to coat Pin It

17 comments:

  1. Oh yum! Your photos look good enough to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh you must share where you found the cute ceramic strawberry basket! I love little cookies too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...how fun is this!? I can't wait to try this recipe! Thanks for sharing! You are going to make my husbands tummy extra happy with this one! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is wonderful lissa. i can tell i am going to love it here.

    your recipes look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look GOOD~!!! And I need to know where you got those number plates pretty pretty pretty please...

    ReplyDelete
  6. lissa, your pics are great! I'm looking forward to one day trying some of your recipes. They all look delish. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am here. I hope your new venture suits more to who you are (I still like you old or new - blog). I am following you. Lots of luck.
    Zizette

    ReplyDelete
  8. oooooh!! These are some good-looking cookies!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want that cute ceramic fruit holder! Wow where did you find it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. A basket of stars too cute!

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  11. Confession: When I read the title of this post, I thought it said GF gingerbread. I jumped out of my chair in excitement (really, I did). I read the recipe and then re-read it, wondering how those four ingredients could turn themselves into gingerbread.

    Then I reread the title and saw, disappointed, that they were shortbread, not gingerbread. Thanks though; I'm still excited to try them, as I'll happily eat any cookies that I'm allowed to, but do you have a GF gingerbread recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wish I could eat these and the mac n cheese right now...when Im sick, I just want junk food ;o(

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Lissa, I am going to gain 100 pounds with all these yummy recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These will be fun
    to try, Lisa. And,
    I LOVE the photos!
    Need to get one of
    these adorable ceramic
    berry baskets!
    xx Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi! Was wondering if I were to sub coconut oil for the butter, would it need any xanthum gum? I have experimented with the thai rice flour in pancakes with success, but I'm trying to find a new sugar cookie recipe before the holidays. My husband is gluten free and allergic to canola, which is in all the dairy substitutes. My daughter is dairy free with health issues of her own. Coconut oil seems to be my common ground between the two. I've used in a regular sugar cookie recipe instead of butter and it worked beautifully....now to figure out the gluten free portion! Could this recipe be my answer? Any thoughts on whether I should add xanthum gum or go straight up rice flour?

    ReplyDelete